Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scratch Cups 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Book a spot in the junior scratch cup in portmarnock today..april 10th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Apart from visiting each clubsite individually is there any one place that has much of this info yet outside of golfnet or gui? Really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Apart from visiting each clubsite individually is there any one place that has much of this info yet outside of golfnet or gui? Really annoying.

Don't think so, there's a good list of SCC and JSC events that are on the TopGolfer tour:
    http://www.topgolfer.ie/tour
    or alternatively there's the BRSGolf opencomps search function:
    http://www.brsgolf.com/opencomps/ireland
    but unfortunately not all clubs are on the BRS system.
    Generally though the GUI site is best although it doesn't look like it at present since the so called upgrade/revamp. It's not easy keeping abreast of all the events as not only have you to consider the scratch cups themselves but also as to when the tee booking opens for the more popular ones.

Have booked into the JSC in Castle Golf Club on Fri 17th April, tee booking opening yesterday and already starting to fill up. Annoying it's a Fri but it's always jammed packed as rarely any open events at Castle and the course is usually top notch.

I see on the GUI site Roganstown are having a JSC and ISC on 6th Apr, nice course and good value at €20 but why have it on a Mon in early Apr? Terrible timing and appears to be trying to drum up business for a quite Mon in early season rather than fill the time sheet of a weekend. Would have liked to play a scratch cup in Roganstown and I'd imagine it'd be quite tough off the blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DiegoWorst

I see on the GUI site Roganstown are having a JSC and ISC on 6th Apr, nice course and good value at €20 but why have it on a Mon in early Apr? Terrible timing and appears to be trying to drum up business for a quite Mon in early season rather than fill the time sheet of a weekend. Would have liked to play a scratch cup in Roganstown and I'd imagine it'd be quite tough off the blues.

Is that Easter Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    Is that Easter Monday?

Ah so it is, thanks. That makes sense now so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Have booked into the JSC in Castle Golf Club on Fri 17th April, tee booking opening yesterday and already starting to fill up.

signed up yesterday - never played it - looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Book a spot in the junior scratch cup in portmarnock today..april 10th!

Where can this be booked? I didn't realise they held a JSC, will prob fill up quick I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Don't think so, there's a good list of SCC and JSC events that are on the TopGolfer tour:
    http://www.topgolfer.ie/tour
    or alternatively there's the BRSGolf opencomps search function:
    http://www.brsgolf.com/opencomps/ireland
    but unfortunately not all clubs are on the BRS system.
    Generally though the GUI site is best although it doesn't look like it at present since the so called upgrade/revamp. It's not easy keeping abreast of all the events as not only have you to consider the scratch cups themselves but also as to when the tee booking opens for the more popular ones.

Have booked into the JSC in Castle Golf Club on Fri 17th April, tee booking opening yesterday and already starting to fill up. Annoying it's a Fri but it's always jammed packed as rarely any open events at Castle and the course is usually top notch.

Not sure it will be off the blues don't think it was last year. they ahd it easter monday last year as well and it was pretty full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Where can this be booked? I didn't realise they held a JSC, will prob fill up quick I'd imagine
    i booked over the phone..just ring portmarnock links hotel and theyll put you through. I also booked a spot in the junior scratch cup for castle gc yesterday..really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Nozebleed wrote: »
    i booked over the phone..just ring portmarnock links hotel and theyll put you through. I also booked a spot in the junior scratch cup for castle gc yesterday..really looking forward to it.

Ah, that explains it, didn't realise it was Portmarnock Links

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 forrestgolfer

I started playing golf 2 years ago, played in a few of the scratch cups last year (intermediate) Douglas Fota Castlemartyr. This year I would love to play the likes of tralee ballybunion etc. Could I ask that the people on here give me a top five course list that I should try to fit in? Also how do I avoid missing out on these? I.e. when they are open for booking how do I avoid missing out because I don't know they are and when I do realise they are all booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DVPHM

I see the fota island senior scratch cup was on at the weekend does anyone know when there junior scratch is on? Have looked in the usual spots but can't find any info, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DVPHM

FYI it's on the 21st of June

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

I started playing golf 2 years ago, played in a few of the scratch cups last year (intermediate) Douglas Fota Castlemartyr. This year I would love to play the likes of tralee ballybunion etc. Could I ask that the people on here give me a top five course list that I should try to fit in? Also how do I avoid missing out on these? I.e. when they are open for booking how do I avoid missing out because I don't know they are and when I do realise they are all booked?

ya i'd be with you on that would like to get some of the Cork ones done this year perhaps the likes of Douglas/Monkstown/Lee Valley/Bandon

When is the Killarney GC intermediate scratch cup on does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Heres some random scratch cups:

06.04.2015 Roganstown Junior scratch
    16.05.2015 Ballybunion senior scratch
    24.05.2015 Mccreddin Junior scratch
    24.05.2015 Ballybunion junior scratch cup 6-11
    30.05.2015 Headford Junior scratch
    07.06.2015 Mount Juliet Junior and intermediate €50
    27.06.2015 Tralee Junior scratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Are the handicap ranges the same everywhere? I.e. if the Junior scratch cup in Ballybunion is 6-11, will it be the same in Tralee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Are the handicap ranges the same everywhere? I.e. if the Junior scratch cup in Ballybunion is 6-1, will it be the same in Tralee?

Junior is normally 4-9 , 6-11 for junior is a strange one

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

dar_cool wrote: »
    Junior is normally 4-9 , 6-11 for junior is a strange one
    There's no norm, it depends on demand and can range from 4-12.

There's no norm, it depends on demand and can range from 4-12.

The handicap range depends on demand? How do they set it? Am I reading it wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Just as a follow up: Tralee Intermediate is 10-18 and Junior is 5-10 as per Golfnet.ie (Golfnet) The Tralee GC website is blank on the ranges.

Just slightly confusing if your handicap is 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Just as a follow up: Tralee Intermediate is 10-18 and Junior is 5-10 as per Golfnet.ie (Golfnet) The Tralee GC website is blank on the ranges.

Just slightly confusing if your handicap is 10.

And most importantly for anyone looking to book this I see they are advising that the timesheet opens on 2nd May. That's one for the diary lads as this will fill extremely fast, I will be online early that morning..!

Douglas intermediate and minor are on this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

FYI for anyone using Golfnet to find scratch cups, ive tried it again today and when i put in Scratch Cup and Munster in the drop down menu nothing comes back.

Only way is to put in Singles in drop down and when the list comes up you have to click on the RIGHT arrow next to the Golf Club name and it gives info of GC, price, contact info and also what type of comp.

i did this and clicked on "Douglas" and was the only way i found out it was Scratch Cup apart from this thread.

Im finding myself going on to each GC website and checking fixtures.

Dossy wrote: »
    FYI for anyone using Golfnet to find scratch cups, ive tried it again today and when i put in Scratch Cup and Munster in the drop down menu nothing comes back.

Only way is to put in Singles in drop down and when the list comes up you have to click on the RIGHT arrow next to the Golf Club name and it gives info of GC, price, contact info and also what type of comp.

i did this and clicked on "Douglas" and was the only way i found out it was Scratch Cup apart from this thread.

Im finding myself going on to each GC website and checking fixtures.

I contacted Douglas re this and they said it was a mistake on their behalf. I'd imagine most places will have them in the correct category but at the same time we'll have to be vigilant!

I contacted Douglas re this and they said it was a mistake on their behalf. I'd imagine most places will have them in the correct category but at the same time we'll have to be vigilant!

Im after emailing a few places, ill put up a list of places with Cork if people are interested?

Dossy wrote: »
    Im after emailing a few places, ill put up a list of places with Cork if people are interested?

Throw up what you have please.

25th April @ Kinsale GC
    Junior + Senior Scratch Cup

9th 10th May @ Fermoy GC
    Intermediate Scratch Cup

8th August @ Fermoy GC Junior Scratch Cup

30th May @ Monkstown GC
    Intermediate Scratch Cup

June Weekend @ Mahon GC
    All Scratch Cups

28th + 29th August @ Fernhill GC
    Minor , Intermediate , Senior Scratch Cups

Ive sent emails to few places. Waiting on replies. As soon as i get them ill edit this list.

If people want to find out off their own clubs when there Scratch Cups are and add to list that would be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Scratch cups 2015

Selected scratch cups:

16.05.2015 Ballybunion senior scratch 
    17.05.2015 New Forest junior scratch €30
    24.05.2015 Mccreddin
    24.05.2015 Ballybunion junior scratch cup 6-11
    30.05.2015 Headford
    07.06.2015 Mount Juliet Junior and intermediate €50
    21.06.2015 Adare Junior and intermediate €50
    27.06.2015 Tralee  
    16.08.2015 Mount Wolseley

From the Top Golfer tour but open to all
    April 10 2015 Portmarnock Links JSC (5-9).
    April 10 2015 ortmarnock Links SSC (4 and lower).
    April 17 2015 Castle Golf Club JSC (5-9)
    April 19 2015 Delgany Golf Club JSC (5-9).
    April 19 2015 Knightsbrook SSC (5 & lower).
    April 25 2015 Bunclody JSC (5-9)
    April 25 2015 Bunclody SSC (4 & lower)
    May 03 2015 Glen of the Downs JSC (5-9)
    May 16 2015 Kilcock Golf Club JSC (4-9)
    May 17 2015 New Forest Junior Scratch (4 - 9).
    May 17 2015 Rosslare Golf Club JSC (4-9)
    May 23 2015 Beaverstown Golf Club JSC (5-9).  
    May 23 2015 Beaverstown Golf Club SSC (4 & lower).
    May 24 2015 Hollystown Golf Club JSC (5-9).  
    May 24 2015 Hollystown Golf Club SSC (4 & lower).
    June 07 2015 Killeen Junior Scratch (5-9).    
    June 07 2015 Killeen Senior Scratch (4 and lower).
    June 13 2015 Waterford Golf Club SSC (4 and lower).  
    June 14 2015 Wexford Golf Club JSC (5-9).    
    June 19 2015 Grange JSC (5-9).
    June 19 2015 Grange SSC (4 & lower).    
    June 26 2015 Citizen Summer Pairs.    
    July 11 2015 Mountrath Golf Club JSC (4-9).  
    July 18 2015 Balbriggan Golf Club JSC (4-9).    
    July 19 2015 Cork Golf Club JSC (5-9).   
    July 19 2015 Carlow Golf Club JSC (5-9).  
    August 03 2015 Knightsbrook JSC (4-9).
    August 07 2015 St Annes Golf Club JSC (5-9).  
    August 09 2015 Enniscorthy JSC (5-9).  
    August 09 2015 County Wicklow Scratch Cup (7 & lower).
    August 16 2015 Dromoland JSC (5-9).
    August 16 2015 Dromoland SSC (4 & lower).
    August 29 2015 Waterford Golf Club JSC (5 - 9).
    August 30 2015 Faithlegg JSC (5-9).  
    September 12 2015 Galway Golf Club SSC (5 & lower). 2014
    September 13 2015 Galway Bay JSC (4-9).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Played Roganstown SSC. Comical from the start. We were told of a 15 minute delay at the start which was no problem then we went to the tee and we were over an over before we got going. 4 balls at 8 minute intervals does not work.

The starter was a member who was given a time sheet and then he went out playing so it was a free for all at the tee!

Over a 5 hour round followed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DiegoWorst

AGC wrote: »
    Played Roganstown SSC. Comical from the start. We were told of a 15 minute delay at the start which was no problem then we went to the tee and we were over an over before we got going. 4 balls at 8 minute intervals does not work.

The starter was a member who was given a time sheet and then he went out playing so it was a free for all at the tee!

Over a 5 hour round followed

I thought I was the only person bothered by this - the people in the Proshop didn't realize the pace of play was that bad, I don't think they believed me when I said it was running at 5 hour pace.

Fabulous day on a really good golf course, greens were in fine condition.
    Playing strokes in 4balls is bad enough, but at 8 min intervals!!!

Advertisement