Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Fantastic, the micra is limited to 2 but I'll bring who I can for future events or subsidise the petrol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Rikand wrote: »
    I'll be throwing you a few pound for Petrol for some of those if that's okay ? :)

That's no prob at all, if we get Athlone99 to a few a well we can split it 3 ways. My new bus is daysul though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭athlone99

Yes, I've money to burn and will pay whatever it takes to play the best courses
    Im all on for car pooling but as im now in Clane i will be headn to most courses from here. and i will be last minute on most outings due to football! but def going to try make the big courses for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

tigerwood1 wrote: »

ps captain are you sure carlsberg aren't sponsoring us ?

nope, not carlsberg but I was out with the bro-in-law last night and told him i want him to sponsor a few prizes, so he will come up trumps hopefully with something decent :D

heading home tomorrow, will be weird having to wear more than shorts and t-shirts and the christmas decorations are still up!

athlone99 wrote: »
    Im all on for car pooling but as im now in Clane i will be headn to most courses from here. and i will be last minute on most outings due to football! but def going to try make the big courses for sure!

We'll call in to ya for brekkie on the way!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Where abouts in Meath? I am in a similar situatation as I wont know how I am fixed until closer the time. Not because of a newborn though, because I am just getting the finances together to join a club this year.
    dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'm just outside of kells
    dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Fantastic, the micra is limited to 2 but I'll bring who I can for future events or subsidise the petrol

Yeah - be a bit of a squeeze in the Golf for three plus bags and trolleys!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 whosyourcaddy

Yes, I'll pay up to €10 extra
    sofireland wrote: »

Lads, im a new member to the boards golf society, but I'm driving from navan to the Heritage if someone wants a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

sofireland wrote: »

I've done it before but not a big drive :pac:
    Lads, im a new member to the boards golf society, but I'm driving from navan to the Heritage if someone wants a lift.

Jaysus alot of members closer than I thought, presumed I was the only one this direction. Looks like there won't be a problem one of us getting a lift if needs be, no sense driving so many cars when we're within 30minutes of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Bit of a lurker around here and I have to admit that I'm green with envy of the courses! I can't commit this year but hopefully next year. Have a gudden folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shane84

Is there still openings for the society?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Shane84 wrote: »
    Is there still openings for the society?
    Always :)

Send a PM to charlieIRL with your name, phone number and handicap if you have one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Anyone fancy picking me up in Mayo?? :D:D

Guys

A few people have mentioned they never got the teamer announcements for the upcoming tournament.

There is a free app you can download for your phone which will give you notification straight away and make it easy to accept or decline the events.

For Android users got here

For Apple users go here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Every year the society is evolving and some things will be changed and others left as is. Over the years we've had multiple winners and new winners and we want as many members as possible to be in with a chance of winning an event.

-3 handicap reduction for a win is very very harsh , that's a ESR for any winners , A 1st and 2nd gets you -5

I think we have had wins from 29 and 32 points before , loosing 3 strokes for that type of scoring must be unheard of .

It's fair game if a player finishes 5+ points ahead of the pack , I really this needs a rethink

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yes, I'll pay up to €5 extra
    -3 handicap reduction for a win is very very harsh , that's a ESR for any winners , A 1st and 2nd gets you -5

I think we have had wins from 29 and 32 points before , loosing 3 strokes for that type of scoring must be unheard of .

It's fair game if a player finishes 5+ points ahead of the pack , I really this needs a rethink

Pete just annoyed that he won't be a bandit for long this year ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rikand wrote: »
    Pete just annoyed that he won't be a bandit for long this year ;)

Nope just think it's a ridiculous cut , I gained strokes last year il have you know 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I don't think it's too unfair. A different society I played with in the past did the same & it did help to make it more competitive & give more players a chance to pick up a win.

That society though, had a very broad range of playing abilities though, as it was a work thing with a fair few non golfers playing so it needed drastic cuts to make it competitive. They brought that in after the same guy won GOTY for the first 2 years & it worked.

Boards society is a slightly different animal though, so not sure exactly how it'll pan out

I think the main issue is a cut of 3 strokes is more likely to effect a higher HC player than a low HC player ,

In my mind its a bigger Jump for a player to go from 20 to 17 than 10 to 7 ,

The main thing about most high HC players is they don't play enough or are only beginning out ,

Im high enough HC due to lack of playing time with Kids arriving on the scene , although I am capable of playing a good round of golf but this is 1 in every 10 rounds ! I don't have the consistency and thats the main point , players of a high or even middle to high HC will be cut harshly for that one good round .

I don't think its been a huge issue in this Society with one person running away with the comps every year.

I don't see the logic behind it , it wasn't broken why try to fix it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

If you say 1 round in 10...lets look at that.

You win an outing and get cut to 17. Over the course of the next 4 rounds you play poorly and get .5 back each time. You are then back to 19.

That said we are reviewing the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

3 shots is 3 shots no matter what the hc. If it is a case that i come out and shoot a guaranteed good score 1 in every 10 i would be delighted.

As Keano said if you are attending events more than likely you will have your 3 shots back by the time that good round comes around again.

• Advertisement

One thing never to forget lads, the society is about having a round of golf with fellow golf nuts on courses that most of us never get to play and most importantly - having a bit of fun doing it.

kiers47 wrote: »
    3 shots is 3 shots no matter what the hc. If it is a case that i come out and shoot a guaranteed good score 1 in every 10 i would be delighted.

As Keano said if you are attending events more than likely you will have your 3 shots back by the time that good round comes around again.

Nothing is guaranteed ! 1 in 10 was only a rough estimate

3 Shots is not 3 shots , A person playing from 10 will find it a lot easier to adjust to a 3 shot cut than going from 20 to 17 IMO , sure If we all agreed the world would be a boring place

The 10 HC is already playing at much higher standard .

On the Point Charlie makes we only going out for a round and to have a bit of fun is true , but there is no fun in propping up the bottom of the table most weeks ,Would be very disheartening.

I also think its a bit unfair on the Low HC players (0-5) , going to see a few + handicaps sooner or later ,

Im only voicing my opinion on the situation and am happy to go along with what ever the call may be , in fairness we should really be in line with what the other society we play against in the Ryder Cup does as going into the end of the year most folks playing here will be no where near there GUI HC's

We've played off our GUI handicaps the last 2 Ryder Jugs!!

On the Point Charlie makes we only going out for a round and to have a bit of fun is true , but there is no fun in propping up the bottom of the table most weeks ,Would be very disheartening.

I think this invalidates the whole point of your argument Pete and backs up what we have tried to do. You are right, there is none of us who wants to be that person propping up the bottom, which is why as a society we want to try and be fair and give everyone an opportunity to get into contention. Hence the opportunity to gain strokes back for those who don't perform well and hit the winners with a couple of shots to try and level the playing field for the next outing. Of course, you never will level the playing field, that is just the nature of sport as a whole, but we can try!

Believe it or not, it's not that different to last year. The winner was docked 2 and second and third were docked 1 each and you had to be worse than average to get 0.5 back. The thing is, nobody knew how things were calculated so the tweak this year has actually been very little, but we have announced the rules and regulations so now you all know. It wasn't meant for debate, to many cooks spoil the broth and all that, but as Keano mentioned, we are reviewing and will make an adjustment.

It was felt there should be a difference in the cuts given to second and third and that is what got the changes in motion. I'm sure having been in the hot seat yourself Pete, you can imagine the whole committee did not agree with all the different permutations and combinations we came up with, but we all have to compromise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭championc

The only time I see -3 becomming an issue is when someone wins with a 34 pts. It's a hell of a difference to someone losing -3 when shooting 41 pts.

But in fairness, the rules for the year are there now and I for one am looking forward to it. I have always played my golf for the enjoyment of golf. If I pick up a prize, then well and good, but it's not my motivation. My sole aim is to play to the level I know I should be able to play to.

I'll miss the first outing because I'm going to Hudders that day to watch Leeds !!! #mot

Seve OB wrote: »
    I think this invalidates the whole point of your argument Pete and backs up what we have tried to do. You are right, there is none of us who wants to be that person propping up the bottom, which is why as a society we want to try and be fair and give everyone an opportunity to get into contention. Hence the opportunity to gain strokes back for those who don't perform well and hit the winners with a couple of shots to try and level the playing field for the next outing. Of course, you never will level the playing field, that is just the nature of sport as a whole, but we can try!

Believe it or not, it's not that different to last year. The winner was docked 2 and second and third were docked 1 each and you had to be worse than average to get 0.5 back. The thing is, nobody knew how things were calculated so the tweak this year has actually been very little, but we have announced the rules and regulations so now you all know. It wasn't meant for debate, to many cooks spoil the broth and all that, but as Keano mentioned, we are reviewing and will make an adjustment.

It was felt there should be a difference in the cuts given to second and third and that is what got the changes in motion. I'm sure having been in the hot seat yourself Pete, you can imagine the whole committee did not agree with all the different permutations and combinations we came up with, but we all have to compromise!

As I said in a post above , happy to go with the general consensus on it , just voicing my feelings on it :)

On the GUI Charlie , for the lads that don't have a GUI ? I know there was some last year ? My golf is for enjoyment but that Ryder Cup is for wining this year :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobster453

I don't mind propping up the bottom :)
    Oops that sounds kind of strange..what i mean is I only joined last May and played every outing as I hope to do this year.
    My GUI is a poor 14 and soon I was up to 15 in the society due to my playing ability..or lack of it.
    Having said that someone has to prop up the bottom and if that someone is me well so be it, i would much rather prop up the bottom and be playing with the quality of individuals we have in our society than looking down from on high and playing with a bunch of muppets

Although i do not intend to be propping up the bottom this year..watch out Tiger and Macker I am gunning for yez

bobster453 wrote: »
    Although i do not intend to be propping up the bottom this year..watch out Tiger and Macker I am gunning for yez

Tiger and Macker, I think what bobster is trying to say is that this year he is going to be up your arse :eek:

Seve OB wrote: »
    Tiger and Macker, I think what bobster is trying to say is that this year he is going to be up your arse :eek:

And that is a sh***y place to be:D

• Advertisement

Any numbers yet on how many for the Heritage on the 31st?

Advertisement