Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yes, I'll pay up to €10 extra
    Yes we will post the rules and any changes shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Some great courses in that list, but all miles away from me :(

Hope you have a great year and Ya never know I might make it to one!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So here are the rules governing the handicaps. The aim of the rules is to be fair and equitable to everyone, and will hopefully mean everyone has a chance to end up in the winners enclosure.

15527307234_c43a103f5c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Is there anybody going from Cork City to these games? I have always been interested in this and I'm going to go to a few this year

Is there anybody going from Cork City to these games? I have always been interested in this and I'm going to go to a few this year

There are a good few cork lads that play but I couldn't tell you if any of them are from the city....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This is not for the purposes of debate.
    Just information.

Any background Seve - on how the (-3) figure came about above for 1st.

Is it felt this will mean - you will only win once in year ? What impact do you feel this will have on outcomes next year.

I guess more golfers will be in the mix all year for GOY ?

Just curiosity how you feel this will impact on results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Yes, I've money to burn and will pay whatever it takes to play the best courses
    Long term lurker
    Quite keen on joining am I right in saying the rounds are on Saturdays mainly?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Welcome :)

We only play on Saturdays.

Sweet won't make the first outing so will hopefully be there for the second.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Just information.

Is it felt this will mean - you will only win once in year ? What impact do you feel this will have on outcomes next year.

Every year the society is evolving and some things will be changed and others left as is. Over the years we've had multiple winners and new winners and we want as many members as possible to be in with a chance of winning an event.

• Advertisement

Just information.

tis more or less as it was last year fix, just a little tweaking, trying to be fair to everyone. not intended to limit wins to once a year, but more to give everyone a decent chance to get into the winners enclosure.
    there has been confusion in the past as to what the rules actually were, so now everyone knows them.

furthermore, the results of each outing will be posted, but alongside them will be the handicap adjustments so keeping you all informed and aware of how you handicap has been adjusted through the year.

edit.... charlie was writing his reply as i was doing mine so only seen his one after i posted this

Seve OB wrote: »
    tis more or less as it was last year fix, just a little tweaking, trying to be fair to everyone. not intended to limit wins to once a year, but more to give everyone a decent chance to get into the winners enclosure.
    there has been confusion in the past as to what the rules actually were, so now everyone knows them.

furthermore, the results of each outing will be posted, but alongside them will be the handicap adjustments so keeping you all informed and aware of how you handicap has been adjusted through the year.

edit.... charlie was writing his reply as i was doing mine so only seen his one after i posted this

Great move lads.

Lads very passionate about handicaps on boards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Due to work issues I am going to have to give outings a miss this year. All the best stevie and lads. Cracking courses and going by last year great craic and banter assured. Will be keeping an eye out for the results too.

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Due to work issues I am going to have to give outings a miss this year. All the best stevie and lads. Cracking courses and going by last year great craic and banter assured. Will be keeping an eye out for the results too.

That's a pity dude.

Cheers scrubber. Totally understand real life just gets in the way sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Yes, I'll pay up to €5 extra

Very sorry to hear the news of your absence. Who is going to keep me on the straight and narrow this year ?????.

Surely you will manage to get one or two in. Some great courses which will be hard to resist especially in the summer sunshine.

Scrubs - would you be able to get down to Portmarnock for a last throw this year - a few pints that night.

I owe you a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Can't make The Heritage as real life friends have scuppered things and I'll be down in Belmullet playing Carne.

But I'm in for the rest, hope to make most of them. Enjoy the day lads, sorry I can't make this one Seve.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

I can't make the first one unfortunately, and it looks like a few clash with a work society. But I'd love to make as many as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

31/01/2015 10:30 The Heritage - - - Captains Drive in, non qualifying and a bit of fun
    21/02/2015 10:00 Portmarnock Links
    21/03/2015 11:15 Naas
    25/04/2015 10:00 Tullamore
    23/05/2015 11:00 Dundrum House
    27/06/2015 10:30 The Royal Curragh
    25th July 2015 Killeen Castle
    22/08/2015 monty carton
    19/09/2015 fota island Captains

Dam dam dam that's my game plan for 2015 blown out of the water, was hoping to come into the captain's 2015 with only four played and a game in hand just behind the leaders but unfortunately this list is just too juicy maybe i can give the potholes in monty a miss but it looks like i'am i'll just have to play the rest(all being well).
    I suppose i'll do a macker and get out of the traps fast with a early win. Really looking forward to getting the dust off the clubs and teeing it up in the herritage hopefully we won't need orange balls.

ps captain are you sure carlsberg aren't sponsoring us ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Anyone travelling from Meath to the first one?

Was planning on starting with Portmarnock but if I could get a lift on this I could make it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    I can't make the first one unfortunately, and it looks like a few clash with a work society. But I'd love to make as many as I could.

Thats disappointing. I was hoping to join that particular work society this year. Guess I'll have to give it a miss in favour of boards.ie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Was planning on starting with Portmarnock but if I could get a lift on this I could make it

I'll hopefully be going that way Dan but won't know until midweek before the outing for sure. Just had a new arrival last week so waiting to see if I can get the permission slip signed, looks good at the moment.

kieran. wrote: »
    I'll hopefully be going that way Dan but won't know until midweek before the outing for sure. Just had a new arrival last week so waiting to see if I can get the permission slip signed, looks good at the moment.

That would be great, I'll pm on my number, I'm afraid I've lost yours :o

Congratulations , fantastic news! Great start to the year either way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Rikand wrote: »
    Thats disappointing. I was hoping to join that particular work society this year. Guess I'll have to give it a miss in favour of boards.ie ;)

Given these courses I am considering doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Where abouts in Meath? I am in a similar situatation as I wont know how I am fixed until closer the time. Not because of a newborn though, because I am just getting the finances together to join a club this year.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Where abouts in Meath? I am in a similar situatation as I wont know how I am fixed until closer the time. Not because of a newborn though, because I am just getting the finances together to join a club this year.
    I'm just outside of kells

I'm going to miss the Heritage unfortunately but plan to be at the rest of the events.

Just done my mileage for all events - 2084kms excluding getting lost (which is quite possible!!) I love golf!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'm going to miss the Heritage unfortunately but plan to be at the rest of the events.

Just done my mileage for all events - 2084kms excluding getting lost (which is quite possible!!) I love golf!!!

I'll be throwing you a few pound for Petrol for some of those if that's okay ? :)

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I'm just outside of kells

Hey lads - i'm in Navan myself - won't be making heritage - but car pooling could be good for any of the further afield outings.

Advertisement