Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Birth Stories Thread

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RainbowPepper

Hope it's ok to bump this thread. I'm pregnant with my first baby and I've about 6 weeks to go. I've been told I'll be induced at some point from 37 weeks (due to gestational diabetes) so I've been trying to mentally prepare myself. I've found this thread brilliant! It's weirdly comforting to read all of the different perspectives and possible scenarios, even the horror stories! Has anyone else got any others they'd like to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Haha, great thread!!
    Due no.2 in about 7 weeks here.No.1 is 19 months old.Born in the heatwave of the summer in 2014 :-)
    My story is a bit boring compared to some others, although that could be a good thing...
    I went about two days overdue, and I remember it was a Monday evening-so OH came home from work and I felt unusually silent.Literally for the whole afternoon and evening I just sat in silence on the sofa.Decided to have a bath to see if I could move things on (I had been holding off on doing baths because it was so bloody warm!).
    Got out of bath, sat on the loo....'heard' a pop and waters broke.Got ourselves into the car, and the first contraction hit as we walked in the Rotunda doors.I had to be treated for Strep B, and I knew I would not be going home since waters had broken (I had been pre-warned of this).Into the emergency room where they hooked up the antibiotic then brought me upstairs to delivery.Contractions were about 8-10mins apart at that point.
    I managed with a TENS machine for a few hours, but they hooked me up to oxytocin (again I had been warned of thi, when they treat for strep b they want the baby out quickly).I thought my contractions were progressing well so I asked them to wait an hour and they did, but they hooked me up eventually anyway!!.After a bit of time on that (contractions went from 5 mins apart to every one min....horrible stuff), I hit the gas and air.Can't really remember much then, other than vaguely realising I was pushing some time
    later...and out she came, 7 hours after waters broke.
    I did need stitches, which I HATED.Took gas and air for that experience too, because it really freaked me out more than the birth did.
    This time round if things are going like that, I will try to be more forceful about the oxytocin, and I want them to help giving birth in an upright position if it's possible.The midwife insisted I lie down part way through and I didn't like that.So fingers crossed it will go well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jbubs

Have just found this thread and will thoroughly enjoy reading it ha. I loved reading birth stories on my first pregnancy. 14 Weeks pregnant now on my 2nd baby and will share birth story.
    It's very uneventful by the way ha.
    I had a scan at 39.3 and was told the head was not engaged so I would defo go at least 1 week overdue. At 39.4 I had the genesis scan and was told the same thing. At 39.5 I had acupuncture to try to induce labour. So had that at 10am and the therapist advised me to stay as active as I could for the rest of the day as long as I was comfortable. Also said to have a spicy dinner, a bath as hot as I could take it and to have sex. So was on my feet all day, did a big shop, baked scones and bread, made a spicy dinner and had a hot bath. Skipped the sex cause I was bloody wrecked ha. I woke up with contractions at 9am the next day, 39.6, around 7 minutes apart. At 10am my waters broke and contractions got worse, not terrible, but a bit worse. So off we went to Holles street and wasn't dilated but kept me there because my BP was up a bit. So contractions got gradually worse and closer together but I still wasn't dilating. This went on till 1am when they were 30 seconds apart lasting 60 seconds or there abouts and I was screaming with the pain. After 16 hours of contractions I was only half a cm dilated. It was very disheartening to be told I wasn't in labour after all this time and pain. When I got to half a cm they brought me to the delivery room and gave me the epidural - it was amazing. But not long afterwards I got an awful headache and spent the next few hours with a went facecloth covering my face. I was examined around 3 hours later and was no more dilated so was put on the drip and left for another 2-3 hours. Then they finally told me I was fully dilated and the head was right down. So pushed for about 15 minutes and out he popped, Jamie, 6lb 14 born on his due date. Was exactly 24 hours from my first contraction to him being born.
    I got pethadine which slightly took the edge off for 30 minutes or so but when it wore off it made the contractions stronger. But that was the only pain relief offered until I started dilating which I think is crazy.

Advertisement