Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The West Wing *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

cjmcork wrote: »
    there's actually only 1 episode I don't watch (though I do forward through most of Mandy's scenes....), but I don't generally watch The Long Goodbye
    re CJ's father
    - just don't really see the point of it, I know it develops the character more.............. buuuuutttttttttttttt.........

Yeah on my second watch through I skipped that episode and Isaac and Ishmael, was never too pushed about them.

But it's by far my favourite TV show ever. Two Cathedrals is an incredible episode (
    The speech in the cathedral is one of if not the best scenes in television, better still because is was just Martin Sheen by himself
    . The Season 2 opener 'In the Shadow of Two Gunmen' was brilliant too, especially the first 15-20 minutes of it. (
    GW! BLUE, BLUE, BLUE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Dinner wrote: »
    Yeah on my second watch through I skipped that episode and Isaac and Ishmael, was never too pushed about them.

But it's by far my favourite TV show ever. Two Cathedrals is an incredible episode (
    The speech in the cathedral is one of if not the best scenes in television, better still because is was just Martin Sheen by himself
    . The Season 2 opener 'In the Shadow of Two Gunmen' was brilliant too, especially the first 15-20 minutes of it. (
    GW! BLUE, BLUE, BLUE!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]She booted all over the back of her car. You know they're gonna bill me for
    that. - hardly a spoiler..............ah lads, we could go on like this all night...........

"a motherboard so far up your ass!"............LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.............

[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dont forget Charlie and CJs prank war, or when Josh and CJ are trying to get the
    first Female Supreme Court Justice
    and end up getting pissed drunk. Theres just too many hilarious moments to count

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

The season two opener moment for me was Bartlets when
    all the doctors are crowding around him and he nods at Ron and says something like "that guy over there has been shot if you know, somoene wanted to give him a band aid or something
    and in Two Cathedrals, there is something just so powerful
    about the caretaker finding the ciggy butt on the floor just as the motorcade rolls past - the link between Bartlet and the outward display of his power and status, set against the symbol of all his inner turmoil and human confusion

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    I've never watched it but I'm looking for a new series to watch after recently finishing The Wire, The Sopranos and catching up on Entourage (now waiting for the new season to be released next month).

Is it worth watching?

OP, dying to know if you've started watching it.........on foot of this thread last week, I've just started watching it from S1...........by christ, Mandy is a pain in the proverbial!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I'm impressed with how much "Two Cathedrals" was mentioned, I always thought it was an absolutely incredible episode. The use of music in the show was always excellent, the use of "Angel" by Massive Attack (which was mentioned already) was perfectly used to create the required sinister vibe to the scene.

I always like "Noël" in Season 2. I think it was despite Josh's arrogance, he was out of his league for a change. There is excellent use of music in "Noël" also.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ah, The West Wing. What a show.

Mandy's a pain, yes, but she is nowhere near as bad as a certain irritating intern in season 5. Thank you, John Wells, and for turning the show into a political ER. They really did struggle after Sorkin's 'f!ck you' in the season 4 finale, though. Season 5 also features the only real stinker of an episode which is Access. Seasons 6 and 7 are an improvement and occasionally come close to Sorkin's brilliance.

Two Cathedrals is probably the finest episode of television ever put together. However, one problem is we have to deal with Ryan Tubridy who will inevitably show a clip from this ep, a pointless exercise, imo, as it means nothing out of context to non-fans. Better off showing something from inside the Oval Office.

As mentioned, Noël is pretty amazing. Best character? Toby...the liberal conscience of the show. Plus, can you really top Schiff's performance?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Since reading this thread last week I started watching it again. I'm currently 10 episodes into season 3! I love college breaks!

Work is seriously cramping my style tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

the west wing, brilliant show, almost finished watching the final season, flew through s1-6 but found the first half of 7 hard to get into, didn't really feel like west wing, best show EVER (season 6 is my favorite of all)

• Advertisement

my fav character...........Josh 'lemonlyman.com' Lyman!!!

OP, dying to know if you've started watching it.........on foot of this thread last week, I've just started watching it from S1...........by christ, Mandy is a pain in the proverbial!

Yes she is, luckily at the beginning of season 2 she abruptly disappears through no storyline or important event, she just isnt there so its not a spoiler dont worry. Apparently Sorkin just didnt know how to write for the actress and if Sorkin cant write for you well........

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yes she is, luckily at the beginning of season 2 she abruptly disappears through no storyline or important event, she just isnt there so its not a spoiler dont worry. Apparently Sorkin just didnt know how to write for the actress and if Sorkin cant write for you well........

I've actually watched it loads of times, but just keep forgetting that she's a pain in the butt..........fortunately her scenes become more sparse as S1 progresses - her VOICE annoys me intensely

though, LOVE john hoynes...........'excuse me, me and my pal!!':eek:

I've actually watched it loads of times, but just keep forgetting that she's a pain in the butt..........fortunately her scenes become more sparse as S1 progresses - her VOICE annoys me intensely

though, LOVE john hoynes...........'excuse me, me and my pal!!':eek:

Hoynes is ok but cant get enough of Lord John, finished season 1 again at the weekend and ripping through season 2 again in anticipation of 2 cathedrals

aw man - gotta thank OP for posting at all - this is a class series.......we should do a 'everyone watch an ep and discuss' forum..............ooohhh, that would be TOO SAD!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Gave up after 3 and a half episodes. Maybe it gets better but I'm not arsed putting the time in after how predictable and cheesey the first 3 episodes were I've other things to watch that I know are good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

amacachi wrote: »
    Gave up after 3 and a half episodes. Maybe it gets better but I'm not arsed putting the time in after how predictable and cheesey the first 3 episodes were I've other things to watch that I know are good.
    Pity you gave up. You missed on how better it got.
    Give it another few episodes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The first episode I ever watched was the season 1 finale; I did find the first few episodes of season 1 slow but I already knew it was going to be worth sticking with.

This is such a great scene.

Biggins wrote: »
    Pity you gave up. You missed on how better it got.
    Give it another few episodes.

Like I said, I have other stuff I know I'll like to watch. :pac:

Like I said, I have other stuff I know I'll like to watch. :pac:
    Hopefully you will give it another go sometime. :)

• Advertisement

Thing is I'll stick by things if they seem even just OK but I'd actually call what I watched bad.

Thing is I'll stick by things if they seem even just OK but I'd actually call what I watched bad.
    Aaa...well, tastes differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Your loss TBH

Your loss TBH
    People will still be talking about various aspects of this great show in decades to some.
    To miss an opportunity to understand and know where they are coming from, in indeed a sad loss for the show it self was an influencing/teaching factor for later shows that tried to capture its endemicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

To be fair it's different when you watch it without having heard anything about it than when you watch it after having loads of people tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's bound to affect your expectations and perceptions of it. And then there's the way people can tend to want things to not be as good as people say because they don't want to be seen to be jumping on the bandwagon. Which would be a shame if it happened in this case.

To be fair it's different when you watch it without having heard anything about it than when you watch it after having loads of people tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's bound to affect your expectations and perceptions of it. And then there's the way people can tend to want things to not be as good as people say because they don't want to be seen to be jumping on the bandwagon. Which would be a shame if it happened in this case.
    You have point indeed to be fair also.
    The thing about The West Wing is that its greatness just don't lie within any single episodes as such (although some do stand out too), but that when you manage to get through a lot more episodes you start to grasp a fuller picture of its range of interwoven complexities and characters that have a daily effect on outcomes on same and other characters, besides places and wars, deaths etc.
    If one was to judge a picture/painting by just glancing at its dullest corner or peaking at just one area, a viewer could fail to see a broader canvas and all its additional wonders. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Biggins wrote: »
    You have point indeed to be fair also.
    The thing about The West Wing is that its greatness just don't lie within any single episodes as such (although some do stand out too), but that when you manage to get through a lot more episodes you start to grasp a fuller picture of its range of interwoven complexities and characters that have a daily effect on outcomes on same and other characters, besides places and wars, deaths etc.
    If one was to judge a picture/painting by just glancing at its dullest corner or peaking at just one area, a viewer could fail to see a broader canvas and all its additional wonders. :)

For sure. It was only after I'd watched all 7 seasons and went back to the very start again that I realised how far the show had come since the first few episodes.

One thing (of many, heh) I really love about the show is how you get to be able to read the characters, and actually get to know them, and understand references that go back to previous episodes or seasons without them being spelled out. Makes the audience feel properly part of it, which is probably why people love it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Have to agree with all the love for TWW

Agree the charachters make it, you really root for them. I watched the 7 seasons from Sept to January last and it was brilliant to watch on the winter evenings, something to look forward to during the day:)

Have to say reading some of the negative comments has made me think of a few things that grated with me as well..
    In season 7, it never really got to the bottom of whether Santos had an illegitimate son? i know he said he was paying maintenance for his brothers son but it sounded like he was making it up and it took him a while to say it. Were we just supposed to accept that?
    Major
    I dont know why but was donna and josh getting together a bit of an anti climax?
    And
    the Toby
    thing was already said.

Agree no need to watch Episode 1 of Season 4 or Access in Season 5 - you wont miss anything by skipping them but they are the only two episodes to avoid i think.

On the majorly postive side though, wouldnt the interactions between
    danny and cj, donna and josh & toby and andie
    throughout the series just make your heart melt!

Marz66 wrote: »
    In season 7, it never really got to the bottom of whether Santos had an illegitimate son? i know he said he was paying maintenance for his brothers son but it sounded like he was making it up and it took him a while to say it. Were we just supposed to accept that?
    Major
    I dont know why but was donna and josh getting together a bit of an anti climax?

It kinda was confirmed when you see the brother in the house begging santos to meet his friends, cant remember what episode, anyway he comes across as a bit of a dick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Marz66 wrote: »
    On the majorly postive side though, wouldnt the interactions between
    danny and cj, donna and josh & toby and andie
    throughout the series just make your heart melt!

Did the episosode of Studio 60 where Allison Janney guest starred bother anyone? She played herself, talking about The West Wing to a character (Cal) played by Timothy Busfield, who played Danny in the West Wing. It made my brain hurt!

Advertisement