Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Thanks, but it's just click after click after click!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

First blood to Nadal.

And a break up in set two. Looks ominous for Novak! I really hope he can get back into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

This is all but done, I'd say Nadal is keen to finish up for the Spain v Italy game!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Benny Cake wrote: »
    This is all but done, I'd say Nadal is keen to finish up for the Spain v Italy game!"

Sure about that!

• Advertisement

In exhausted just watching these grinding rallies.

In exhausted just watching these grinding rallies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Stick a roof on one of your Courts, Roland Garros :(

That was a bit disturbing seeing Rafa bossed like that for 8 games in a row.

Hopefully he can get his head together whenever they come back. God knows when that will be, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

In dire need of a roof!!!

Nadal better get his head in the game! Hope the rain delay will benefit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Skid wrote: »
    Stick a roof on one of your Courts, Roland Garros :(

That was a bit disturbing seeing Rafa bossed like that for 8 games in a row.

Hopefully he can get his head together whenever they come back. God knows when that will be, though.

Thats what happens to him on damp clay ,his huge topspin shots are neutralised ,the ball doesnt bounce as high .
    He also has less time to get to shots.

Just goes to show how important the speed of the surface is ,Nadal is hopeless on a fast surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Shame! Match postponed till tomorrow afternoon. Novak was on a roll there and it would have interesting to see Nadal's responce.

It will surely be a tough match tomorrow with both players having a rest and hopefully it doesnt rain again.

Who would you give the edge to tomorrow?

I'm not sure who this break will benefit!!:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Hopefully it'll be delayed until the evening. That way I can get home from work to watch it!

Seriously disappointing though. Nice chill Sunday with the house to myself and the bloody thing gets called off. :(

RosyLily wrote: »
    Who would you give the edge to tomorrow?

I'm not sure who this break will benefit!!:confused:

1 million dollar question. Could go either way. :D

If it starts like the way it did today then Novak will find it very difficult, but if Novak resumes with the same agility as he left it today then we are in for a five setter which would be quite interesting.

Novak is monster of a player, he has broken Nadal like 10 (actually he broke his serve 7 times and Nadal broke his 7 as well)times in the match, something only one player did in the whole tournament. In the first two sets, he had an Andy Murray moment where Nadal broke back after he struggled to get back into set games. He was supreme in the third set, although I think at some stage Rafa just wanted to go to a fourth set or hoped that play would be suspended.

It is going to be very exciting tomorrow, I just cant start to comprehend what would be going on in their minds tonite- I doubt either of them will get a good sleep.

I happened to catch a replay of the womens final today during the rain delay. I had to switch it off. How anyone can sit and watch and listen to that shouting and grunting and groaning. It's really off putting. Sickening site.

walshb wrote: »
    I happened to catch a replay of the womens final today during the rain delay. I had to switch it off. How anyone can sit and watch and listen to that shouting and grunting and groaning. It's really off putting. Sickening site.

You are not the only one tbh. As much as I think that Sharapova is a formidable champion, I cannnot stand her grunts and her repeated - C'mon after every point she wins. If you think that was bad, maybe you should listen to Azarenka or Schiavone- even worse! About time the organisers sort it out, it is not only distracting but it is unfair to the opponent, especially if they are not as vocal.

It is not just the women- same for some of the male tennis players- Murray and Verdasco spring to mind. I can't understand how players for e.g.Berdych can play a match without hearing a single thing from him when others decide to turn a tennis match into a shouting/grunting contest.:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Its pretty annoying alright. Understandable if you really have to stretch for a ball or something. But there's a lot of players just taking the piss now.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

that was some turn around by Djokovic today still think that Nadal will take it in the 4th set when they return tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

How anyone can sit and watch and listen to that shouting and grunting and groaning. It's really off putting. Sickening site.

Werent the WTF supposed to do something about this about 10 years ago ??
    Its gone beyond a joke now as you rightly say
    About time the organisers sort it out, it is not only distracting but it is unfair to the opponent, especially if they are not as vocal.
    Its cheating ,pure and simple,they do it to distract their opponent.
    "The findings were unequivocal," says Scott Sinnett, the study's lead author. "When the video clips did have a grunt, the participants were not only slower to react but they had lower accuracy levels." Although the study has yet to be conducted on an actual tennis court, Sinnett and colleagues believe that, in real-world scenarios, a player's grunting similarly affects his or her opponent's shot perception and reaction time.

that was some turn around by Djokovic today still think that Nadal will take it in the 4th set when they return tomorrow.

Novak has the break at 2-1. This may well go all the way, and in a 5th I will back Novak. Hope it goes all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Slow start again from Djok, gunning for him to win this but he must break straight back.

Looks like we're set for the tiebreaker in the 4th set!

Edit: It's over!

Feck, the break really screwed Djok unfortunately :(

Novak has the break at 2-1. This may well go all the way, and in a 5th I will back Novak. Hope it goes all the way!

Unfortunately it didnt. Nadal Wins!! fairplay to Novak though- he played well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

That Double Fault will haunt Djokovic. If he had taken it to five sets I think he would have won.

Anyway, I am delighted for Rafa. A strange match but he held his nerve and remains the King of Paris.

Roll on Wimbledon!

Skid wrote: »
    That Double Fault will haunt Djokovic. If he had taken it to five sets I think he would have won.

Anyway, I am delighted for Rafa. A strange match but he held his nerve and remains the King of Paris.

Roll on Wimbledon!

Can't wait form Wimbledon. This rivalry may eclipse any rivalry before, even Nadal-Federer, which has become boring and a bit one sided. Novak really has the game to bother Nadal, in all areas.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Rain break favoured Rafa, great match and was delighted to see him win after losing the last 3 slams. Mark of a true champion to come back from that dissapointment to find a way to beat Djokovic.

Still fancy Djok for Wimbledon. Although the rain break definitely did kill Djok's momentum, I thought Nadal was genuinely struggling to see the ball as well as he usually could last night because of the rain. We'll never know I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Can't wait form Wimbledon. This rivalry may eclipse any rivalry before, even Nadal-Federer, which has become boring and a bit one sided. Novak really has the game to bother Nadal, in all areas.!

I want a break from Nadal/Djokovic GS finals, until at least the Aussie next year. 4 in a row is enough, IMO.

• Advertisement

Hate that the match ended on a double fault from Djokovic! Would have preferred a rally or even a brilliant return of serve! Djokovic will dream of that DF tonight.

Delighted for Nadal though; he has been immense all tournament. I won't rule out him winning 8 French Open titles.

Excited for Wimbledon!! :D

Advertisement