Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

i need a landline??

Options
  • 26-01-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me??i live in cloone,on the fenagh road,i had eircom out to my house about 6 months ago to assess our area to fit a landline,they told me that they would have to put up 5 poles in order for us to get a landline and this would be too expensive,so they offered us a mobile phone on landline rates and number,we tested the mobile on the spot and there was no signal standing in the garden never mind inside the house,i let it lie for a while but im starting to get frustrated by this as only the other week we had to make an emergency call to 999 and we couldnt even get a signal for this,last july also my 18month old son went unconcious and we needed emergency services and we couldnt get a signal,the ambulance medics were calling us for directions and we had no signal on the phone!!it is vitally important that we have a landline with our young child,as any of you know thats a parent anything can happen??so my question is,is there anything we can do to push this further,anyone ever been in this situation before??any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

As far as I know Eircom are legally obliged to get a phone installed for you. This is regardless of how remote your location is.

I discovered this when I was running a broadband campaign for another area. I discovered they were obliged to get a phone line in but under no obligations for broadband.

I would chase up what Eircom are legally obliged to do and then weigh up your options thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

fergalfrog wrote: »
    As far as I know Eircom are legally obliged to get a phone installed for you. This is regardless of how remote your location is.

I discovered this when I was running a broadband campaign for another area. I discovered they were obliged to get a phone line in but under no obligations for broadband.

I would chase up what Eircom are legally obliged to do and then weigh up your options thereafter.
    +1 don't take any crap from them, your entitled to a phone line full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lgc2010

Cheers for the reply,will look into the legalities of this to back my fight up,but the gas thing is I recently requested some information from them about another product of theirs and I had a reply within 2 hours along with a quote,yet i'm waiting 6 months on some feedback about my landline.I really think there should be another company other than eircom that can fit the lines,it would bring much more competition and make the progress quicker for everyone in the country to receive full coverage broadband,but hopefully i can get the local guard on my side to back my story up to confirm i had no signal on the night in question at in this day in age a landline is more than a luxury,IT'S A NECCISITY!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In a remote area we were told that they would install a landline within two weeks and that as a a promotion it would cost nothing.

In that place the house was a long way from the nearest house.

eircom; words fail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

we are ina location about 3 miles froma town with 22000 people with houses within 100yds and Eircom told us that on the basis of cost they would not be supplying us with a phoneline. Asked citizens advice and was told there was nothing we could do about it.
    (we were 8 months waiting for Eircom to tell us that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

ppink wrote: »
    we are ina location about 3 miles froma town with 22000 people with houses within 100yds and Eircom told us that on the basis of cost they would not be supplying us with a phoneline. Asked citizens advice and was told there was nothing we could do about it.
    (we were 8 months waiting for Eircom to tell us that)

Eircom are obliged to provide you with a service, it will probably turn out to be a satellite reciever on your wall with a landline number. You wont get broadband on it though.
    You always have the option to dig a trench, pipe it and string it to the nearest pole and cable it if you have the landowners permission. Should speed things up and not a huge cost.

ppink wrote: »
    Eircom told us that on the basis of cost they would not be supplying us with a phoneline. Asked citizens advice and was told there was nothing we could do about it.

Sorry that is simply not true - they are contractually obliged to provide a phone line to your home. They have no obilgations whatsoever regarding broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Sorry that is simply not true - they are contractually obliged to provide a phone line to your home. They have no obilgations whatsoever regarding broadband.

I wish I had know that then! we had to hire a digger and duct from our house across someone elses land out thorough a wall before they would connect us. They did not give us the duct either!
    It is odd as citizens advice were adament we could do nothing!

Sorry for your trouble but I found this out when I was trying to get broadband in another area.

I only found it out when I investigated what their obligations were.

Advertisement