Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Saturday Night Show - 10/03/12 - RTE 1 @ 9:55pm

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

cofy wrote: »
    I do know that deaths like these happen all the time, but most of the time people go into themselves, I just think that it is very brave of this woman to speak openly.

You think it was brave, I think it was bizarre, crass even. We will have to agree to disagree on it I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I think it is wholly inappropriate that they announce the quiz winner after such a sensitive interview.

In fairness..they do that on TLLS, Kenny Live of old etc etc....most of these programmes are badly produced with little regard for what constitutes entertainment no less sensitivities of viewers... It's almost Pythonesque sometimes...and now for something completely different.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

cofy wrote: »
    I do know that deaths like these happen all the time, but most of the time people go into themselves, I just think that it is very brave of this woman to speak openly.

Something very similiar happened in my city about ten years ago. Basically a punch was thrown and a person died as a result. The guy who threw the punch served about three years in prison and after his release killed himself. Very tragic.

Imagine it happen to your son, not even at home but on the other side of the world. I agree it was very brave of her to speak so openly, and to me you could see she was keeping herself calm with an obvious effort.

Cicero wrote: »
    In fairness..they do that on TLLS, Kenny Live of old etc etc....most of these programmes are badly produced with little regard for what constitutes entertainment no less sensitivities of viewers... It's almost Pythonesque sometimes...and now for something completely different.....

I agree completely. RTE can't seem to help itself and seems to think that there should be at least one tragic/sad story per chat show. It's always been the case. Why?
    Do you ever see these kind of 'sensitive' interviews on Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton?
    Maybe it's an Irish thing?That we love the misery,the sad story,the guilt,the poor me stuff. I can't bear it.
    It's prurient and maudlin and does no favours to those being interviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

I've seen it before, it is a great film! I remember the battles on and off the track between Senna and Prost. Today's F1 is very dull by comparision.

Ayrton Senna (RIP)
    indeed it is.i no longer have the same interest in F1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

What seems right? She had absolutely no reason to go on that show and going on a light entertainment show to talk about your sons premature death when he was drunk and saying you expected he might wind up that way does not speak dignity to me.
    In fact the woman was misguided in doing so and may still be traumatised. Going on that show was not a good idea and it was not dignified. Just because she didn't burst into tears or rant and rave does not bestow her with dignity.
    I know what dignity is.

Her son's name, and her own name, have been in the papers again recently. If you watched the interview she said exactly why she was on the show. The media reported things in a certain way, and she wanted to respond to that. A right of reply of sorts.

As for the rest of your post, that's your take on things. Mine is different *shrug*

Her son's name, and her own name, have been in the papers again recently. If you watched the interview she said exactly why she was on the show. The media reported things in a certain way, and she wanted to respond to that. A right of reply of sorts.

As for the rest of your post, that's your take on things. Mine is different *shrug*

Going on the television will only exacerbate things. It is rarely a healing course of action. She is as well off leaving it. Writing a letter to the paper would be the 'dignified' thing to do if she felt there was inaccurate reporting.
    The whole thing was a bit odd.
    However we're going round in circles here.
    good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Cicero wrote: »

Considering this was a very sensitive topic, they could have had the competition winner on air prior to the final interview but it seems that sensitivity isn't something that's high on the list of priorities with the Saturday Night Show team. Maybe they're the same people who advised Fine Gael to have that 1st year "celebration" this week??
    Do you ever see these kind of 'sensitive' interviews on Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton?

Spot on. We kind of expect The Late Late Show to juxtapose the light with the heavy but I reckon The Saturday Night Show should be light-hearted from start to finish. God knows, there are enough outlets throughout the week on radio and television for serious topics. Surely we could expect just one programme to be frothy and light?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I agree completely. RTE can't seem to help itself and seems to think that there should be at least one tragic/sad story per chat show. It's always been the case. Why?
    Maybe it's an Irish thing?That we love the misery,the sad story,the guilt,the poor me stuff. I can't bear it.
    It's prurient and maudlin and does no favours to those being interviewed.

Because if we lived in a world of Jonathon Ross or G Norton, we'd be a lot less well off. There's a lot more to this world than pre-recorded, edited, banal interviews with not-very-interesting Hollywood celebrities. The 'Irish thing' you refer to is simply our ability to keep it real, and talk about 'real' things. As hard as it was to hear, I'd much rather listen to a genuine story like this one, than Bradley Cooper going on about the size of his new swimming pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Patrick Swayze - City of Joy - is on RTE 1 if anyone is interested. Nite Nite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Last night's Graham Norton Show is on TV3 now, just started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

I've watched the punch a few times.. (he threw a second punch that didnt connect so there was really only one significant blow)... The guy was small, and of thin build... If you look at two BIG guys hitting each other, in a bare knuckle fight ... THIS IS VERY GRAPHIC btw ...

They beat lumps out of each other and are both fine now.. same with cage fighters, and travellers bare knuckle fights (like those featured in the documentary on RTE a few weeks ago)..

This would lead me to think that Gearóid was just very unlucky that he got hit in a part of his body where he had a weakness, possibly exacerbated by the weekend's drinking..

His mother is very admirable though..

whats that **** got to do with anything , thats a pre prepareded statement , looks like the guy was defending himself, why was the pleb coming back ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

duckysauce wrote: »
    whats that **** got to do with anything , thats a pre prepareded statement , looks like the guy was defending himself, why was the pleb coming back ???

I dont know exactly what point you're trying to make, but what I'm trying to say is that it's hard to make out a right or wrong in the situation... I just think that there are three interesting things about this case...

i) Gearóid should not have gone back to the chipper... it looked on the video like he was going back IN to the chipper as well, not like he was "passing" the chipper as his mother said.
    ii) Simmons was certainly not under any immediate threat (as Gearóid did not even appear to notice him) and was more aggressive than he needed to be.... He initiated an attack on the presumption that Gearóid had come back for a fight...
    iii) Simmons does not look like a guy capable of killing somebody with one punch.. So it must have been a freak sort of punch, or something that exacerbated an underlying condition.. He certainly did not mean to kill Gearóid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I dont know exactly what point you're trying to make, but what I'm trying to say is that it's hard to make out a right or wrong in the situation... I just think that there are three interesting things about this case...

i) Gearóid should not have gone back to the chipper... it looked on the video like he was going back IN to the chipper as well, not like he was "passing" the chipper as his mother said.
    ii) Simmons was certainly not under any immediate threat (as Gearóid did not even appear to notice him) and was more aggressive than he needed to be.... He initiated an attack on the presumption that Gearóid had come back for a fight...
    iii) Simmons does not look like a guy capable of killing somebody with one punch.. So it must have been a freak sort of punch, or something that exacerbated an underlying condition.. He certainly did not mean to kill Gearóid.

I agree with points ii and iii, but with regard to point i, I don't think Gearóid realised where he was going, it just such a tragedy that Simmons did not realise that, but Simmons could have been in a similar condition as Gearóid.

A tragedy.

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Because if we lived in a world of Jonathon Ross or G Norton, we'd be a lot less well off. There's a lot more to this world than pre-recorded, edited, banal interviews with not-very-interesting Hollywood celebrities. The 'Irish thing' you refer to is simply our ability to keep it real, and talk about 'real' things. As hard as it was to hear, I'd much rather listen to a genuine story like this one, than Bradley Cooper going on about the size of his new swimming pool

Well that's your opinion. I disagree.
    The 'Irish thing' you refer to is simply our ability to keep it real, and talk about 'real' things.

No,not having that at all. We are very good at denial as well and don't have a monopoly at 'keeping it real' Some might say we are more 'up ourselves'!with a huge capacity for self-praise.
    The paucity of guests on last nights show makes me wonder whether some RTE shows are there just to keep people in employment as opposed to actually entertaining the public.
    I'd feel a lot better off without he likes of Tubridy and O'Connor on my TV screen.

As for banal interviews! Exhibit A: last nights interview with three farmers who make crisps!
    I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I only saw the interview with the Mother of the guy that was killed in Austrailia, I found it to be a good and interesting interview, I had felt that the press had been heavy handed on the subject.

As for the light V hard portion of such shows. I agree that RTÉ do need A Late Late Show and then a less serious version of that show. But I think RTÉ know that their auidence cann't handel the few entertainers available to be interviewed in this country so the decide to have carbon copies of TLLS.

Neither presenter would be able to present such a show. Jonathan Ross is car crash TV now IMO, the only good thing he had going for him was 4 puffs and a piano and they weren't all that good.
    No,not having that at all. We are very good at denial as well and don't have a monopoly at 'keeping it real' Some might say we are more 'up ourselves'!with a huge capacity for self-praise.

I would have thought we have a great ability to say how ****ing **** Ireland is and how embarrassed we are to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Aoife9 wrote: »
    Got the remote! whew!!:)I'm an 80s kid Kate Bush is on BBC2 now singing wuthering heights she's a loony but loved her!!
    Skid wrote: »
    Heathcliff, It's meee I'm Cathyyyyy :)
    Ah, I love the story, Wuthering Heights :)
    I was at a wedding once and somebody got up to sing that song. I still get the flashbacks! :eek:

I'm wondering if anyone else remembers the night that Fiona O'Malley and her father, Dessie O'Malley were on Tubridy Tonight ? At the time Tubs used to actively encourage his guests to perform their party piece. Anyway, Fiona "sang" Wuthering Heights.

Lets just say that it would have been better if she had left the singing to her cousin, Dido :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I'm wondering if anyone else remembers the night that Fiona O'Malley and her father, Dessie O'Malley were on Tubridy Tonight ? At the time Tubs used to actively encourage his guests to perform their party piece. Anyway, Fiona "sang" Wuthering Heights.

Lets just say that would have been better if she had left the singing to her cousin, Dido :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I don't remember it, but a quick Google of 'Fiona O'Malley Wuthering Heights' suggests there is pretty much universal disdain of that performance!

Ms O'Malley, who performed what was widely held to be a woeful version of 'Wuthering Heights' on the 'Tubridy Tonight' TV show earlier this year, admitted: "I just don't have the talent."
    Nothing epitomised the performance of a TD who was best known for her curious hats more completely than a disastrous appearance on The Tubridy Show where she warbled her way through aversion of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights.
    That performance reminds me of Fiona O'Malley's version of Wuthering Heights on Tubridy Tonight a few years ago. Her dad, Dessie was so embarrassed he asked Tubs to stop her during it.**

** That last quote was from a MrsD007. On The Boards SNS Thread 16th April 2011 :)

Advertisement