Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cdrom problem/advice

• 03-11-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

ive done a search but cant find any thread with a similar problem.

bsically,my cdrom was open when my laptop fell on the ground.the cdrom got a hard bang and then wouldnt close.i forced it closed but now it wont open.there maybe a chance i damaged the lens/other sensitive parts.

so basically im wondering what is the best thing to do:
    could this be easily repaired in a shop in town?
    or should i send it back to dell to be repaired?
    or would you suggest buying a new external cdrom and just using that instead?

what would be the cheapest option?any help is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You could buy a new drive on ebay. Cheap, and easy to do yourself, think its usually 2 screws and it's out. What laptop is it exactly?
    EDIT: actually, there should be a small pin hole on the front of the drive which shoud open it, if that doesn't work then its probably dead...

Advertisement