Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How often do you steal?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Apart from downloading I never steal.

A friend and I were in Amsterdam one time and when we got back to where we were staying we realised that we had forgotten to pay our bill in the coffeeshop, so we went back and settled up. They were chuffed, so they were, cos they thought we'd robbed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

I don't think forgetting to pay for something is stealing..... I have forgotten to pay for stuff a few times and not gone back :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

kylith wrote: »
    Apart from downloading I never steal.

I honestly don't think downloading is stealing TBH.

It's certainly illegal, it's very probably immoral, but stealing?? Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

It's not only scumbags that steal you know....look at Winona :eek:

Don't kid yourself. You steal from another person. You're a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I honestly don't think downloading is stealing TBH.

It's certainly illegal, it's very probably immoral, but stealing?? Not for me.

If I download a film or song the only thing I cost the producer is the 'opportunity cost' of me possibly buying that piece of work instead.

For me personally, I can't afford to spend 20 quid on a cd of 14 quid on a dvd, so if I didn't have the option of downloading the thing then I still wouldn't have bought it so the net effect for the producer is zero whether I download or not.

Except that If I download a song and really like it, I will tell others about it and some of them will probably buy the cd or go to a gig or buy a t-shirt or click on an advertising supported link on their website...

Net effect from my 'stealing a cd' is that the 'victim' might get some money he wouldn't otherwise have gotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Never stole anything in my life, a couple of months back I went for lunch in O'Brien's on Wexford St, had soup and a sandwich plus a coke, I was having such a great chat with the other lads from work I left without paying.
    10 minutes later I was back at my desk in work and it dawned on me, so I immeadiately went back and paid and apologised for leaving, they didnt remember but I felt better for it.

I even correct people when they try and give me too much change back from a purchase, which happens quite ofter.

If you steal you will have no luck for it, I believe in karma and I try and stay on the good side as much as possible.

If I had a friend that told em they stole, it would change me entire opinion of them.
    OP I'd consider talking to someone about this as its not a healthy thing to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I used to shoplift up till around 13. Got caught, taken to an office in the back of the supermarket, with my five pack of polomints (which was probably my biggest score) on the desk in front of me. They kept me there for an hour, without saying anything, then said the gardai were waiting at him.

I stayed out in a field for the next 3 hours, terrified. Came in, my parents were curious about why I'd been out so late.

From this I learned that the law is a paper tiger and all adults are liars.

Well, actually, I got a good fright, and never stole again. I'll pay back incorrect change, catch people if they drop money etc. on the road, deliver wallets I find. I'm basically the best person because of my brush with crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

There is always one :rolleyes:

You sound actually quite proud of yourself :rolleyes:

Theft is theft, be it a big or small item. And its not a quality I personally find attractive in people.

On a bigger scale, you're stealing from shops that need all the business they can get. sure it might be a lip gloss or a card whatever, but Im sure theres more out there like you, and it all adds up.

It's a scumbag act, and eventually you will get caught someday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This is boards, where everybody is righteous and hopes you get what's coming to you, especially if that is a disturbingly violent punishment in no way commensurate with your indiscretions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't steal - it's not on. And if you do, don't brag about it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement