Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bacon-flavour Beer

• 12-08-2010 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Ever had Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier? It's a smoked beer.

While I like the taste of beer, and the taste of bacon, this beer sums up the best of both worlds tbh.

What make yous of it? If you've ever tried it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

The Agogo wrote: »
    Ever had Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier? It's a smoked beer.

While I like the taste of beer, and the taste of bacon, this beer sums up the best of both worlds tbh.

What make yous of it? If you've ever tried it?

Yup I have had it manys a time, a friend of mine used to live in Bamberg where it is brewed

It does indeed have a taste like smoked ham/bacon

it is an excellent beer and you can get it here in some of the better off licences, it needs to be served well chilled

They also do a heavier darker smoked version which is not unlike a smoked guinness, it can take a while to drink being so heavy but it is worth it (think it comes with a black label)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭47

*legs it too the car and off the off licence

Seriously this sounds great my old man had it before and said it was nice.
    I`m defo trying that today, Now if only they made bacon flavoured,whiskey,milk and bread :pac:

It`d obviously go down a treat with bacon fries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Lovely stuff, Redmonds of Ranelagh and Drink stonybatter both carry it along with other good offies.

it is an excellent beer and you can get it here in some of the better off licences, it needs to be served well chilled

its a lager after all :D
    They also do a heavier darker smoked version which is not unlike a smoked guinness, it can take a while to drink being so heavy but it is worth it (think it comes with a black label)

Its their Ur bock a strong seasonal lager lovely stuff, I actually got a 5 litre keg of it still knocking around

There smoked wheat beer is another one to look out for, smoked bananas and ham lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bacon flavoured beer? Does it get any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Bacon flavoured beer? Does it get any better?

Yes it does. Yes. It does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that sounds rank.
    Why would you want to drink it when you can eat it?

greetings wrote: »
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that sounds rank.
    Why would you want to drink it when you can eat it?

It might sounds rank but it tastes excellent

Also what is wrong with eating bacon whilst drinking bacon flavoured beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

In fairness, the bacon flavoured beer is a bit misleading as it is not bacon flavoured at all. It is just brewed using smoked malts so some peoples brain interprets that as smoked bacon as that is the closest it can come up with to compare.

I brewed a smoked mild once and my wife said it tastes like bacon :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've had that beer, and tbh it's bloody awful. Tastes like drinking from a beer-soaked ashtray.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Where would one purchase said beverage? Preferably in the West of the City.

• Advertisement

I don't actually know but you can order it online
    http://www.schlenkerla-shop.de/index.php/schlenkerla-rauchbier-in-flaschen.html

Drink stonybatter is about west I can think of :o

I have order from then shipping was very good, i think it worked out around 2.5 per bottle for 12 of them or you can keg 5 litre kegs

But they did mess up the order and i end up with 2 free-ish kegs (5L) of 6,5% Ur Bock, so bit of a win win

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

www.drinkstore.ie will deliver.

You can sometimes get it in Superquinn too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

It might sounds rank but it tastes excellent

Also what is wrong with eating bacon whilst drinking bacon flavoured beer?

Ah I find some bacon sandwiches or curry cheese bacon chips goes down well with a nice cold pint of Heineken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭susanlinda823

I have never had it. But boy to I want to try it...right now. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 urbanjim1

I'm pretty sure I've had a Bratwurst beer - had a Stein of it by my vague recollections. I think it was an interesting flavor at the start, but is heavy going getting through that much of it.

Advertisement