Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Sound moderator

• 06-10-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi guys. Was thinking about getting a sound moderator for my new .223. just wondering about the prices and where is a good place to purchase?
    Will the mod. effect my so called accuracy? only have it a week now and been using the gun on targets so far just to get my self all set up and happy before going out after the little red fellows and maybe a few bunny's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭shaft666

A moderator will only improve your accuracy as you will get less recoil with one fitted but you will have to re-zero due to the added weight. Not sure about dealers back home so will let someone else answer that one but I would recommend the wildcat predator 8, have a look here for details; http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/index.htm The uk cost is approx £215 sterling.

Same size as a T8 but strippable for cleaning so much longer lifespan. There are lots of other good mods available, a lot as always depends on how much you are prepared to spend. Have a look at the Ace Utra and the PES ones too.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

As Paul says, a moderator mostly improves accuracy. It will also save your hearing and especially the fellas hearing with the lamp next to you.
    The a-tec moderators are also quite good. Best is a short or over barrel type that isn't too heavy. The difference in silencing between models is small not that important in the field.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

shaft666 wrote: »
    A moderator will only improve your accuracy as you will get less recoil with one fitted but you will have to re-zero due to the added weight. Not sure about dealers back home so will let someone else answer that one but I would recommend the wildcat predator 8, have a look here for details; http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/index.htm The uk cost is approx £215 sterling.

Same size as a T8 but strippable for cleaning so much longer lifespan. There are lots of other good mods available, a lot as always depends on how much you are prepared to spend. Have a look at the Ace Utra and the PES ones too.

Paul
    +1
    i've the t8 tis good but there is a differance of 6 inchs in having zeroed then go to take mod off the gun but when you know this makes for a easy rezero of you gun that's on a 243 cal.
    I was only looking at the wildcat mod last weekend (350 euro @ East Coast Dog&Gun) had it in my hand, stripped it all down into its single parts looked the biz for maintainace, also owned a PES mod had it on a 17 hmr worked well but at time there was notting else out to compare it to... i'd not buy the Ace Utra, friend had one.. bullets everywhere seemed to realy not work on his gun.. BUT this is most importent get your rifle threaded by gunsmith not a local factory job.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

I have the predator 8 and am happy with it to date.

What the experiance on cleaning out the moderator though.

How often to clean and to what level?

I tend to give it a pull of the boresnake after each use and strip it every now and again - keep the treads lubed would be my advise though,,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

hi all
    whats the legal story with mod's here
    do you need to get them added to your licence ??
    or can you just buy them in the shop over the counter and away with ya..

ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You need permission from your superintendent ianoo, same as for the firearm itself. If you don't have that and you're caught, you can be charged with possession of an illegal firearm under the Firearms Act.

When the restricted list comes into force, however, you'll have to apply to the commissioner for permission for all fullbore moderators (rimfire you still talk to your local superintendent about). As I understand it, this is an issue the FCP is addressing, because it means that you could have an unrestricted firearm, but be required to have the security for a restricted firearm because of the moderator you put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ianoo wrote: »
    hi all
    whats the legal story with mod's here
    do you need to get them added to your licence ??
    or can you just buy them in the shop over the counter and away with ya..

ian

you need written permission from your Super

Veg

EDIT: too slow Sparks got there

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

ejg wrote: »
    As Paul says, a moderator mostly improves accuracy. It will also save your hearing and especially the fellas hearing with the lamp next to you.
    The a-tec moderators are also quite good. Best is a short or over barrel type that isn't too heavy. The difference in silencing between models is small not that important in the field.
    edi

Id be with edi on this one,
    The old fella has an a-tec and ive also seen the pred 8, they are the same design but i think the a-tec is a better mod, smaller in lenght and size
    also its made from better materials
    myslef i have a pse on the swift and its just that little bit louder than the a-tec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scobie1

hi guys , i was just wondering is it posable for me to get a sound moderator to my remington 700 .243 without haveing to remove the iron sites on the barrel, beacise i like to leave them on beacuse i think it is a better looking gun with them on and i no it might be a silly thing but i like the way it looks with them on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Sparks wrote: »
    When the restricted list comes into force, however, you'll have to apply to the commissioner for permission for all fullbore moderators (rimfire you still talk to your local superintendent about). As I understand it, this is an issue the FCP is addressing, because it means that you could have an unrestricted firearm, but be required to have the security for a restricted firearm because of the moderator you put on it.

Hasn't that been done? I thought SI 337 of 2009:-

5. Article 4(2) of the Principal Order is amended—
    (a) in subparagraph (d) by the deletion of the word “rim-fire”

amended SI 21 of 2008:-

(d) silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms;

effectively making all rifle moderators non-restricted.

• Advertisement

BornToKill wrote: »
    Hasn't that been done? I thought SI 337 of 2009:-

5. Article 4(2) of the Principal Order is amended—
    (a) in subparagraph (d) by the deletion of the word “rim-fire”

amended SI 21 of 2008:-

(d) silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms;

effectively making all rifle moderators non-restricted.

Look at the date of the post, good bit out of date at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

scobie1 wrote: »
    hi guys , i was just wondering is it posable for me to get a sound moderator to my remington 700 .243 without haveing to remove the iron sites on the barrel, beacise i like to leave them on beacuse i think it is a better looking gun with them on and i no it might be a silly thing but i like the way it looks with them on

The open sights will have to come off. For the over barrell mod like the reflex which goses back up over the barrel it will be in the way. on the the other version that extends beyond the barrel when you thread the barrel the front screw hole that holds the front sight on the barrel will be removed as the barrel is being threaded, so your front sight will be only held on by rear screw which would not be very secure or accurate.
    you could could have the front site move back on the barrel 20-30mm, so as to have back up iron sights but it wouldn't look great (some of the older beretta rifles have the front sights 50mm back from muzzle) also you wouldn't be able to us them with the mod as the mod would block view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Vegeta wrote: »
    Look at the date of the post, good bit out of date at this stage

Ah yes, thanks. I didn't notice it was a zombie thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scobie1

thanks lads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What form does the Super's permission for a mod take? Is it a seperate licence or included in the rifle licence?

Rew wrote: »
    What form does the Super's permission for a mod take? Is it a seperate licence or included in the rifle licence?

Well for my brother's license it is a little S on the front of the license itself.

I applied for the use of them on both my rifles but there is no sign of this S so I am going to chase down the local Garda who deals with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The 'old way' was a letter from your local Superintendent granting permission for the moderator.

Under the new system, the moderator is granted for use on a specific firearm, and is noted on the Firearm Certificate for that particular firearm.
    I'm led to believe that even if/when applying for a moderator at some later date after getting the Cert for the gun, it'll mean having a new Cert issued for the firearm with the 'S' added to it.

Here's a scan of one of mine, with the 'S' arrowed in red:
    firearmcertsarrow.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Must check mine so

Advertisement