Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoga DVD suggestions?

• 04-03-2012 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi all! I've just started a yoga class, but would like to do more at home. Had a look on Amazon and major DVD overload! I wouldn't know where to start to choose one out of the 2 thousand available or so. So would anyone be able to suggest one you've found to be good?

Thanks! :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You may have more luck here :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

This is my absolutely favourite one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Gentle-Vinyasa-Zyrka-Landwijt/dp/B0012KK6QK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330860502&sr=8-1
    It's quite mellow (advanced beginner level I'd say) but if you put in work you can make yourself sweat. Also it's great value: the DVD has two practices one hour each, and then each of them has two shorter premixes of 30+ and 40+ minutes, so you get 6 practices of varying length for the price of one DVD and you have something to do even if you only have half an hour and want something easy. A pose guide is also included where each asana is explained in terms of alignment, going in and out, the use of props etc.
    She also has two other DVDs out, one is easier and one is harder, but all are built like this one, with several lengths and premixes.
    Seriously good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭BaileyPants

mhge wrote: »
    This is my absolutely favourite one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Gentle-Vinyasa-Zyrka-Landwijt/dp/B0012KK6QK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330860502&sr=8-1
    It's quite mellow (advanced beginner level I'd say) but if you put in work you can make yourself sweat. Also it's great value: the DVD has two practices one hour each, and then each of them has two shorter premixes of 30+ and 40+ minutes, so you get 6 practices of varying length for the price of one DVD and you have something to do even if you only have half an hour and want something easy. A pose guide is also included where each asana is explained in terms of alignment, going in and out, the use of props etc.
    She also has two other DVDs out, one is easier and one is harder, but all are built like this one, with several lengths and premixes.
    Seriously good stuff.

Thanks mail for that! Just didn't know where to begin :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IsaMtq

What yoga class are you doing ?

I cannot recommend highly enough, my fav yoga DVD that I use all the time is John Scott Ashtanga yoga, it’s the best dvd I’ve ever bought! – Although you would need to have done an introductory Ashtanga course before attempting it. Suits me perfectly, mysore classes are just too expensive!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Scotts-Ashtanga-Yoga-Edition/dp/B001P5FOLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330919620&sr=8-1

I recently bought a Shiva Rea (Vinyasa Flow) one from play.com & really really like it - I've only ever really done Ashtanga and this was a really nice change - there's a matrix of 20 minute workouts and you can mix and match, it’s really nice, it’s effective but has a nice relaxing element to it.

I've got a few of the Rodney Yee, Gaiam yoga dvd's but there not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IsaMtq

I just came across the full John Scott on YouTube – can’t actually believe it’s up there, but if you were interested in seeing what the Ashtanga primary series is – this is the best. However, I really would not recommend trying or attempting this if you’ve had no instruction in Ashtanga – there are so many foundation principles to be aware of, and every posture needs an instruction - so you could be firstly doing it wrong, and secondly it could then put you off ever trying it again which would be sad as its really beautiful and intricate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Ekhart Yoga on YouTube is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

smeedyova wrote: »
    Ekhart Yoga on YouTube is brilliant

+1

I so have to agree here. Well worth a look.

Advertisement