Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Job Offer Non Medical Device

Options
  • 24-11-2014 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

I have just received a job offer from an excellent company for a permanent position as a Quality Engineer, with this job offer I will see a huge increase on my current salary but I have one problem, it is non-medical device.

My current role is low paid but I am gaining excellent experience but I am also driving over 3hours daily, with the new position it will be less than 50mins in total.

I am currently spending a fortune on petrol and find it difficult to get by week by week (not to mention the fact I have no time to read/go to the gym in the evening), this new job would make things so much easier because of the pay increase and the extra time in the evening.

I currently have 2 years experience in medical devices, the new place is not medical device. I was just wondering if I move away from the medical device industry will it be hard to get back into it in five years time?

Should I stay in my current role for the experience. I want job security and I am sick of these 3 month contracts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

Take new job, extra salary sounds more beneficial than experience, as a quality engineer you'll prob be in a similar position to return to medical devices in 5 years, more pay might gain more responsibility ie more worthwhile experience, commute time is essential.

The way I see it, if you turn down this offer will you continue to look for jobs?, if so, its an indication that your aware there's better opportunities available in your current situation.

I'd suggest requesting having a sit down with either your line manager or somebody above you that you get on with and explain your offer and situation, they'll require a reason for leaving anyway so you might aswell tell them, changing jobs is always money related so they might consider a raise

Fair play for getting an offer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Will you gain any transferable skills from the new job?

Also if you have 2 years medical device experience already that'll count to you if you want to move back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tim667

I should have mentioned I am not currently in a quality engineer position, I am a Validation Engineer.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Two years without a permanent contract (and presumably no progression), on the face of it the new job is a no-brainer. I'd always take diverse over single-role experience, you'll learn more.

If you do leave, make sure you do it on a good note - they might try to tempt you back in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I left med device 4 years ago for electronics quality after 3 years in med,and I still get calls every few weeks from recruiters for med jobs.

If you really want to transfer back later you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Two hours less driving a day is like a whole day of free extra time per week. I'd jump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

From what you've said, I'd go for it.

Advertisement