Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MBA's

• 29-07-2013 2:27pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there anyone here doing an MBA or about to start?

What are your thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

godtabh wrote: »

I'm looking at start one shortly in the US. I have been trying to get into a technical leadership role and think this could be a good way to achieve it. It could also give opportunity to completely move away from the hard technical field should there ever be an issue in my area...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I've been on and off flirting with the idea for over a year. At least get the GMAT done to give yourself the option.

enda1 wrote: »
    I've been on and off flirting with the idea for over a year. At least get the GMAT done to give yourself the option.

Depends on where you would like to do it. With my experience and technical Master's Degree I am exempt from doing GMAT on some pretty decent programs stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Depends on where you would like to do it. With my experience and technical Master's Degree I am exempt from doing GMAT on some pretty decent programs stateside.

Perhaps. But I'd only really been looking at the top ten which all need some test and GMAT is accepted by all them.

Perhaps. But I'd only really been looking at the top ten which all need some test and GMAT is accepted by all them.

I don't dispute that I am looking top 25 and for a PT program while working. I would also rather not pay 120-150K. Anyway I think we are getting away from the OP's point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm hoping to start the DIT MBA in September. I'm looking at doing it for two reasons. First to get the foundation of managerial leadership in an engineering role and secondly to give me options to move away from engineering if the opportunity arises for example management consultancy.

The DIT topics sound really interesting. Looking forward to starting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Pretty much in the same boat - it might be a good idea, but I don't know enough about it (or an engineer who's done one) to really assess the value.

There seems to be a chicken - and - egg aspect too. To get the best out of an MBA you need reasonable business experience, but it's hard to get this without a business qualification. I'm worried about being pigeon holed as just a good techie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I think its of very limited value unless you have some exposure to business as part of your day to day job or are moving from a technical to a more commercial role.

The multinational that I work for encourages technical personnel to pursue commercial avenues of interest as from their experience those with a technical background appear to make better decisions as they have the insight to understand the problem better that say someone purely from a commercial domain. Some do MBAs after significant experience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've been tasked to grow a certain aspect of the business. An aspect that only I have the technical expertise within the company. I think my boss also wants me to have more influence on what markets we operate in. At the moment we are restricted by our parent company but I have on successful project completed in that market.

I am also building new business offerings for new clients. At the moment its done at cost but with the potential to grow it and market it to new clients.

It also gives me some security. At the moment I work in civil engineering. In a years time there may not be a civil engineering industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭minnow

I completed a distance learning MBA through Manchester Business School 2 years ago. I chose MBS after comparing the various DL alternatives, and because of the program flexibility, the range of electives and its relatively high ranking in the MBA tables. Furthermore, it has one stream which particularly focuses on Engineering Business Management rather than purely Finance.

I enjoyed it immensely, broadened my business knowledge considerably and it has improved my standing in the company (people are impressed with those three letters on your CV). I think to get the full benefit in terms of promotion, salary etc., one has to change companies after completing. On top of those benefits, I derived most enjoyment from being back to education (if only part time) and the friendships I made at the workshops.

• Advertisement

What kind of salary can an engineer with an MBA expect?

I just paid my deposit for the DIT MBA so I'm (un)officially a student again. When I'm finished I will have spend 8 years in college!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

I'm an engineer, and did an MBA after working for a few years. Going to business school was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Salary will depend on what you do afterwards. I'd imagine you might need to change jobs or employers to see a step up in compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BDSC1964

The money you earn from any qualification usually depends on whether the industry appreciates such things and in the case of the construction industry here it is my experience they dont. Where as financial services will headhunt people with MBAs.

I've just applied to the DBS for an MBA. I am coming from a construction background also and have made a complete change since 2010. Now in financial services. I see the MBA as a means to go into training. I am set on this but have been knocked back on numerous occasions in the last couple of years because I dont have a level 9 qual. I also want to run it as a business so it will help on this front also.

A question I do have is: What kind of weekly time input does it require (part time basis two evenings)?

BDSC1964 wrote: »

A question I do have is: What kind of weekly time input does it require (part time basis two evenings)?

A lot I would imagine!

I'm starting my MBA today. I hope to update this thread over the next days/weeks/months/years

I meet one of the lectures yesterday. Interesting chat and a marked change from previous post grad work I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PCR

I'm starting my MBA today. I hope to update this thread over the next days/weeks/months/years

I meet one of the lectures yesterday. Interesting chat and a marked change from previous post grad work I've done.

Good luck with your study. I look forward to reading your updates.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I read this book recently and found it pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Teach-Harvard-Business-School/dp/0141046481

It's a bout a journalist who doesn't have a business background who enrols in Harvard to do an MBS. He doesn't enrol to watch or anything, he enrols to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

PCR wrote: »
    Good luck with your study. I look forward to reading your updates.

Ditto, would love to hear about this godtabh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So after a month in how's it going so far?

So far so good.

First term is based around 4 modules
    • Financial Analysis
    • Modeling and & Analysis for Management
    • Organizational Behavior & Theory
    • Marketing for Managers

So two wooly subjects and two subjects for an engineer should be ok.

We've had a few individual assignments and a few group ones. Group one was interesting. Probably highlights the benefit of the MBA as the group dynamic used individual experience to asses the problem.

We've had some interesting non module lectures as well. Very interesting on on the weekend regarding communication skills from some one from RTE.

There are a few other engineers on the course as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭jiminho

So far so good.

First term is based around 4 modules
    • Financial Analysis
    • Modeling and & Analysis for Management
    • Organizational Behavior & Theory
    • Marketing for Managers

So two wooly subjects and two subjects for an engineer should be ok.

We've had a few individual assignments and a few group ones. Group one was interesting. Probably highlights the benefit of the MBA as the group dynamic used individual experience to asses the problem.

We've had some interesting non module lectures as well. Very interesting on on the weekend regarding communication skills from some one from RTE.

There are a few other engineers on the course as well

Sounds awesome. Quick qs for you, out of curiosity. What path do see yourself taking if you stay in the civil eng area with an MBA? Are you in technical or more managerial type role?

I wouldn't be an technical expert. I can hold my own in my field but would struggle if I had to deal with a pure technical project. Probably see myself more as in a managerial type role

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

will be keen to follow this thread too, best of luck godtabh. enjoy your strava stats, they are only going in the wrong direction for the next couple of years.

i am thinking of enrolling soon too, i am looking for an MBA with a strong focus on marketing.

a question for most of the people already enrolled or completed, did your employer sponsor you or you fund it yourself?

lg123 wrote: »
    will be keen to follow this thread too, best of luck godtabh. enjoy your strava stats, they are only going in the wrong direction for the next couple of years.

i am thinking of enrolling soon too, i am looking for an MBA with a strong focus on marketing.

a question for most of the people already enrolled or completed, did your employer sponsor you or you fund it yourself?

Strava should reach 10000km in the next week or two!

The DIT MBA has a marketing module. It's ok

Funding is 75/25 not in a good way

that's great going.

you mind me asking what kind of commitment they looking for in return for the 25%?

All back if I leave in one year.
    50% in year 2
    25% in year 3

not bad i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nicger

Hi godtabh

i wonder have you any more feedback on MBA and would you recommend for non engineers. i have an accountancy background, not fully qualified but have worked as senior management at accounts level, i am seriously considering DIT myself next year, however i will be 100% self funding so its a big commitment.

There is a good mix of people in there. This is the first year with no accountants apparently.

Have exams starting on Friday so doing 'lots' of study. Had lots of assignments it hand in over christmas. That was a pain.

Other than that I am enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 nicger

thanks for that....

Advertisement