Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mezz House Beers

• 15-01-2012 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the story is with the two 'house beers' the mezz have gotten in? Slimbo's Stout and Mezzmerizer Lager, their selling them for €3.75 a pint. I havn't tried them but wonder where their coming from. Same with MadDog in Fibbers and Murrays in Murrays (which I presume are the same beer as the pubs are owned by the same people and their just appealing to each establishments clientele).

I have a feeling the Mezz has just gotten in Messrs's beers with a new badge.

Im going to ask some friends close to the inside to do some digging.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Murray's is from Chotěboř in the Czech Republic, either the 10° Originál or the 12° Prémium.

Everything else, I'd guess, is White Gypsy rebadged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BeerNut wrote: »

Everything else, I'd guess, is White Gypsy rebadged.

Really? So 'Slimbo's Stout' would be their Raven Vintage Stout or do they throw something else together for this purpose?

Do they sell there beers as house beers in other bars?

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Really? So 'Slimbo's Stout' would be their Raven Vintage Stout or do they throw something else together for this purpose?
    It would most likely be the same beer that's sold as Plain in Messrs Maguire.
    Do they sell there beers as house beers in other bars?
    Yes. Increasingly at the moment, it seems.

It would most likely be the same beer that's sold as Plain in Messrs Maguire.

Yes. Increasingly at the moment, it seems.

Ah I see, I was under the impression that Messrs's brewed all their own, I'm not the biggest fan and don't go there often.

I'll see what my people can find out.

Ah I see, I was under the impression that Messrs's brewed all their own
    No, Mel did batches of Haus when she was there, and a few of her own recipes, but the likes of Rusty, Plain and Weiss would always have been from White Gypsy, and still are, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 SlimDenby

Slim here from The Mezz. Slimbo's stout bares my face and I rebranded the two products. I have to say, none of you are close. Obviously we're not brewing our own beers as we don't have the facility to do so. Nor are we taking a product from Messers and rebranding that as that's just not cricket at all. We are not affiliated with the Fibbers/Murrays/Living Room group at all either.
    Now....about the beers. Firstly they're both a good clean tasting brew that sells at the grand old price of €3.75. Not bad for temple bar. While my stout does taste similar to the Messers brew, (thanks for the tour , Mel), it also bares a resemblance to Porterhouse plain (which it isnt.)

The truth is neither are brewed in Dublin. Myself and a colleague spent 3 months visiting mictobreweries around the country looking for a good full-bodied stout and a crisp lager at a good price that we could legally rebrand. That's all I'll say, for obvious reasons.

SlimDenby wrote: »
    Nor are we taking a product from Messers and rebranding that
    I wasn't saying that. I was suggesting that you're both getting the same beer from White Gypsy. I don't think there's been any stout brewed at Messrs Maguire in four or five years now. And Mel has gone back to the US, sadly.
    That's all I'll say, for obvious reasons.
    I don't get this. The reasons certainly aren't obvious to me. I like to know where my beer comes from and I'm much less likely to buy a mystery-provenance beer than if I knew it was coming from White Gypsy, or Franciscan Well, or Breweyed or whomever. I trust Cuilan and Shane and Andrew. I don't trust anonymous beer: it looks like it's hiding something.

It's a bit like saying "I can't tell you what the meat in our burgers is, for obvious reasons". Ehm, I'll pass then, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheatreBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheatreBoy

I love both drinks. Slimbo stout being my favourite.
    As for "Not knowing where the meat for my burger" comes in, I don't get a list of ingredients for my pint of Guiness, do I?

I heard Mel was gone alright. Damn shame, she was a good dood.
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch....we don't like saying where our beer comes from as we don't want to run the risk of other venues jumping on the band wagon. Also, the mystery adds to the intrigue of the beer.
    Another thing I do know is they're both flying out and as a stout drinker, I have to say Slimbo's is rather enjoyable.
    I fully understand you wanting to know where its from but personally if someone drops a perfectly cooked 24 ounce T-bone steak in front of me, I couldn't give a Damn I'd its from Scotland, Argentina or Finglas.
    I'll tell you what....pop in over the weekend and ask for Alan or Slim and I'll buy you a pint.

• Advertisement

TheatreBoy wrote: »
    I don't get a list of ingredients for my pint of Guiness, do I?
    Indeed not. And I don't understand why that is. I think drinks should have to list their ingredients.

But for a closer parallel: how about if the pub told you sometimes they pour Beamish out of the Guinness tap? Would you feel you have a right to know when you're getting Beamish and when you're getting Guinness?

Pouring Beamish from a Guinness tap is not only illegal but blatantly obvious

Also, the mystery adds to the intrigue of the beer.
    I'm sure you've done your market research on this, but for me it's the opposite. The place, the brewer, the recipe, the personality of the beer is part of what I enjoy about exploring new beers. Take all that away and I may as well be drinking something the Heineken machinery cranked out.
    Another thing I do know is they're both flying out
    Well that is good news. The who and the where are minor points compared to the facts that a) an Irish brewer is getting paid and b) the Irish drinker is getting a good-value pint.
    blatantly obvious
    Lots of people say that. Not many have actually tried a proper blind tasting, though. I couldn't tell the difference when I did it.

Please don't take offense to this but if you claim to be an avid beer explorer yet you wouldn't know the difference between Arthur and Beamish, is say you're beer hobby makes you more at a facts student than a connosiour.
    Look, come in for one on me, enjoy the pint, no questions asked and we'll go from there.
    Ps; if someone gave me a sly Beamish instead of Arthur, I'd do jail

if someone gave me a sly Beamish instead of Arthur, I'd do jail
    Have you actually done a blind taste test?
    Look, come in for one on me
    I dunno. It'll be full of young people with their music and their haircuts. I'll have to turn my hearing aid down and there'll be nowhere to park my zimmerframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

I dunno. It'll be full of young people with their music and their haircuts. I'll have to turn my hearing aid down and there'll be nowhere to park my zimmerframe.

Jesus no need to get personal, im not in the Mezz often but music usually isnt that loud and is pretty good!

But you were just offered a free pint to check and see what you think before you slate it even more, seems only fair

I have been in the bar trade for 18 years and have acquired a sensitive taste for alcoholic beverages. There's no pride in knowing each step of the brewing process and brewing location of loads of types of beers if you don't know what their individual taste qualities are. I have a certain fussy taste in Irish whisky, scotch whiskey, stouts, weissbiers and wine and I don't believe it's any huge feat to be able to distinguish between a group of products that are wildly dissimilar.
    You're welcome to come in and try Slimbo's Stout but at the end of the day, I've noticed that your opinion won't count whereas the opinion of the people who taste it initially or enjoy it daily does.
    Also, if you come in during the day, we have classic rock playing at a background level so you don't need too much adjustment to your hearing aid. Also we can accommodate your zimmer frame and the staff will be only too happy to help you to a comfortable bar stool. Also, we have full wheelchair access should you require it.
    See you at the weekend!

As a sub-note, I'm afraid a vast majority of my customers have haircuts and unfortunately, it's a matter that is out of my control.

I will more then likely be in the Mezz sometime soon (with my music AND haircut :cool:) and I will be buying a slimbo stout for the price because as mentioned €3.75 is great for temple bar.

I'm surprised slimdenby won't share where the beers are coming from as surely any bar wishing to do the same can contact brewerys and cut a deal, including the brewery that are supplying the Mezz at the moment.

With regards to knowing the difference between a Beamish and a Guinness, although they have distinct differences, when the two are placed side by side those differences are alot more difficult to pick out but youve a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

To be perfectly honest, it took a lot of footwork and man hours to find two beers we could rebrand and get at a reasonable price and I don't see why our hard work and research should be handed off willy-nilly to another venue who didn't bother looking for themselves. I think the most important thing to take into account here is the end result which is a crisp clean lager and a full-bodied stout with a slightly burned but enjoyable finish, both available at great value in a busy Temple Bar nightspot.

I'll buy you that pint at the weekend

• Advertisement

To be perfectly honest, it took a lot of footwork and man hours to find two beers we could rebrand and get at a reasonable price and I don't see why our hard work and research should be handed off willy-nilly to another venue who didn't bother looking for themselves. I think the most important thing to take into account here is the end result which is a crisp clean lager and a full-bodied stout with a slightly burned but enjoyable finish, both available at great value in a busy Temple Bar nightspot.

I'll buy you that pint at the weekend

Thanks for the offer, I work weekends and won't be around but I'll be in soon I'm sure.

I understand your point. Its great to see Irish breweries getting into spots like the Mezz and fairplay to yous for taking the initiative to go find it. I still want to know where its coming from, not because I'm suspicious but just curious.

I don't believe it's any huge feat to be able to distinguish between a group of products that are wildly dissimilar.
    I used to believe that too, until I got into blind tasting. Everybody believes it about themselves. Until you try it, it remains just a belief. G'wan, it's fun.
    I've noticed that your opinion won't count whereas the opinion of the people who taste it initially or enjoy it daily does.
    Hey, if it's White Gypsy stout I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy it.

White Gypsy exhibits at festivals, and people go to them and try the beer and enjoy it ('cos it's great stuff) and then they come on to sites like this, or they e-mail me, and ask "Where can I get that White Gypsy beer?" And I have to reply, "Well, I'm fairly sure that's his stuff in Messrs Maguire, and The Step Inn has them rebadged, and you'll find some down in Brook Lodge, but I'm not 100% sure" and so on. I understand The Purty Kitchen in Monkstown will be going on that list soon. I'd love to be able to say "White Gypsy? Yep, The Mezz does the lager and the stout." But the mystery and intrigue appears to be worth more than directing drinkers to beer they want to drink. Which is a shame, in this drinker's opinion.

(I'll still suggest to people looking for White Gypsy beer that The Mezz is one of the places to get it, again with a "I'm not 100% sure" caveat)

It's not a Big Industry Secret that if you want a good value house beer you go to Cuilan. I think everyone would benefit from having them branded openly, but there you go: it's not really my business.
    Martyn1989 wrote:
    but youve a 50/50 chance of getting it right.
    This is why we have the triangle test :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I fully understand you wanting to know where its from but personally if someone drops a perfectly cooked 24 ounce T-bone steak in front of me, I couldn't give a Damn I'd its from Scotland, Argentina or Finglas.

I would give a big damn where it's from as I also like to know where my beer is brewed.

I also think you should do a blind taste test on Guinness, Beamish and your house stout and see how you fare. Or are you just all talk?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I did a blind test with a few lads of Guinness, Beamish and Murphy's not long ago. Everyone got Murphy's straight away, all citing more watery mouth feel, almost everyone got Guinness and Beasmish wrong, one lad guessed beamish right but got Guinness and Murphy's wrong.

Similar results when blind tested Guinness and Porterhouse Plain.

Again similar results between Smithwicks and O'Haras Red.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I think fair play for not saying the supplier if they dont want to for the reasons said above. I think only beer nerds actually wonder about where its sourced (i include myself here too so I might pop in for a pint to try and guess :))

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

Im going to comment on a few things that have been said!

Firstly, I do understand why people are interested in knowing what beer wqas re-branded but as slim said,he has done all the foot work and he must of done a good job as last time i was in there they were sold out!
    So why should he throw it out to the public domain so anyone else can pick up the same idea and undercut him on it! €3.75 a pint is a great price for a good pint in TB....

People more and more seem to be getting annoyed with the fact he wont give them the answer but as you are been offered a free pint take you taste testing skills and work it out!?

Also,who would be up for a blind tasting?? seeing as some people think it is tough and others easy,lets see how people fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Playoff_Beard

The truth is neither are brewed in Dublin. Myself and a colleague spent 3 months visiting mictobreweries around the country looking for a good full-bodied stout and a crisp lager at a good price that we could legally rebrand. .

Tough job!

adamski8 wrote: »
    I think fair play for not saying the supplier if they dont want to for the reasons said above. I think only beer nerds actually wonder about where its sourced (i include myself here too so I might pop in for a pint to try and guess :))

It is only a beer nerd thing, I accept that. The only reason consumers in this country don't ask is because most licensed premises carry a range of beers that come from 2 suppliers and fly under long established brand names. Therefore they don't think to ask.

It is not an unreasonable request to ask where a product you are buying is coming from, but it is also not unreasonable for slimdenby to deicide not to share the info on a public forum if he feels it could affect business. If a customer is standing in the pub buys a pint of slimbo and asks where its coming from he should be given an answer.

On a side note I was in Antwerp in November and a friend working over there was showing me around the bar he works in, a massive place with one of the bars being an Irish bar. In there they advertised an Irish stout 'brewed in Ireland' 'It was called 'Molly's' or something similar and was onsale very cheap. I asked him where it was coming from and he laughed and changed the subject, I was chatting to the Manager later and asked again, got the same laugh and "its our secret" as a reply. I didn't get to try a pint.

Note: I believe the Mezz are getting their beer from Ireland and did not post that story for any other reason then the subject of 'house beer' reminded me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

But you were just offered a free pint to check and see what you think before you slate it even more, seems only fair

To be fair to BeerNut, I don't think he's "slating" either The Mezz or the beer. What I'm seeing is an amiable difference of opinion between two adults. That's all.

I'll add one more vote to the "I'd like to know where it comes from" camp for what it's worth, but I can appreciate if management feel they don't want to suggest anything to the competition. (From my point of view, I'd be delighted if more premises followed your lead - but that might be another amiable difference of opinion :)). Either way, I'll try to support the initiative next time I'm passing by. The Irish microbrewer and the price are both very admirable!

Advertisement