Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE New Year WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Haddockman wrote: »
    Zanu FF.

That phrase will get you into trouble over in the politics forum H.man, it would be sort of like a DLB offence here;)

fryup wrote: »
    but what did you expect?

i mean remember the millennium? when other broadcasters were doing it in style..and what did we get on RTE for this momentous occasion..........Joe Dolan live in killarney:rolleyes:

No, they paid the piano guy off the LLS a fcukin fortune to write a song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Poly wrote: »
    That phrase will get you into trouble over in the politics forum H.man, it would be sort of like a DLB offence here;)
    This is not the politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They did the very same last year with showing the All Ireland Talent Show. Perhaps if they didn't finance such complete rubbish as the lavish 1 hour documentary on Wednesay night called The Twenty Year Streak all about the history of Winning Streak there might have been a budget to hold some class of a countdown show.

They did the very same last year with showing the All Ireland Talent Show. Perhaps if they didn't finance such complete rubbish as the lavish 1 hour documentary on Wednesay night called The Twenty Year Streak all about the history of Winning Streak there might have been a budget to hold some class of a countdown show.

or maybe cut down on the number of "We miss Gerry the junkie xmas specials" they might have had a few bob left over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

At the very least RTE or the HSE should set up a 24 hour counselling service for the people affected by this tragedy ...

baalthor wrote: »
    At the very least RTE or the HSE should set up a 24 hour counselling service for the people affected by this tragedy ...

That's what the thread is for, we meet every Friday night for victims of Tubuse also (Bring your own beer!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

seriously, who in rte actually decides to air bollocks like irelands got talent and them rubbish programs about obese people losing weight

so many lol programs, oh and Celebrity Bainisteoir

haha

what gives...

I would line up the guy who airs this crap and send them to the death squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Zardoz wrote: »
    What arsehole thought up the idea of putting a talent show on to ring in the new year.
    Someone with a sense of humour?

Did they even countdown the new year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Falcon

Couldn't believe it! This was something of a tradition in our house.:mad: Had to watch BBC instead - Maybe they forgot?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Seriously, what kind of people are watching RTE at midnight on New Years Eve?
    People living in sh*t towns down the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Did they even countdown the new year?

no

no
    They really are gombeens so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

If I lived in the UK I would gladly pay the fee to fund the BBC.

No you wouldn't. You would whinge and moan just like they do in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

RTE's access to the public coffers needs to be addressed as they don't even make an effort these days :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I can't believe it!! What is the story with RTE and the new year countdown? We had to watch the 2010 countdown on BBC1 !! Why was there no coverage on RTE1, RTE2. I am not happy seriously. WTF!!!

They've been like this for a couple of years now. Absolutely ****ing useless. I watched it on BBC2 - Jools Holland's Annual Hootennanny. Much better entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Venom wrote: »
    RTE's access to the public coffers needs to be addressed as they don't even make an effort these days

Damn right.

As a side note, it's nice to see the usual RTE apologists are working over the festive period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

mikom wrote: »
    Damn right.

As a side note, it's nice to see the usual RTE apologists are working over the festive period.

I don't understand your concern seeing as you don't even pay for a television licence. Nice to see that you are thinking of us "RTE apologists". Or maybe it was just another one of your cheap snide shots.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I don't understand your concern seeing as you don't even pay for a television licence.

I have two hard-working parents living not far from me who pay for their own out of fear of "a court appearance or a hefty fine", so yes I have an opinion on it, and I'll keep offering it until a moderator tells me to stop.

Look at the thread, look at the sickened fee paying masses, then look closely and you see the usual one or two miniature flag wavers trying to preserve the rep of our "public service broadcaster".
    You're fighting a losing battle as this ship is holed and sinking slowly.
    Bring on the lifeboats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

We turned on RTE and there was a countdown at 12... other All Ireland gack happened too but there was a definite countdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

And replace them with what?
    Nothing, not as if there is anything good on RTE anyway, besides we have TV3, 3e, UK channels and Sky. Think of the money that the state would save closing RTE.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    No you wouldn't. You would whinge and moan just like they do in the UK.

No, the BBC is a quality broadcaster and is accountable to the UK license fee payer. I have the freesat channels and I watch the BBC channels most often.

I found BBC's Joe Lynam's coverage of our financial mess to be excellent, as we all know, RTE news could not be trusted to tell the truth or strive for truth.

BBC radio is excellent, the BBC website is the best website on the planet imo.

In fact, this year, sorry last year, I thought myself basic Spanish from one of the free language courses on the website.

Even if it was a pay to view channel, I would gladly subscribe
    In fact, fire all the slackers in RTE and let BBC run the show.

Imagine Jeremy Paxman on primetime! He would have Martin Fcukin Manseragh in tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

great to see this,

TG$ was excellent new years eve, great concnert from scotland of Christy live,

never saw such sh-- on rte, people should not pay the license in protest,

all rte handoners-oners rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Nolanger wrote: »
    People living in sh*t towns down the country.

no they dont, no one was watching it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I found BBC's Joe Lynam's coverage of our financial mess to be excellent, as we all know, RTE news could not be trusted to tell the truth or strive for truth.

ah, I think that's a bit unfair poly. The documentary Freefall, was the fairest and frankest analysis I have seen of the crash.. Granted I dont have BBC, so I havent seen Joe Lynam's coverage.. but Freefall certainly pulled no punches and did neither Lenihan and Ahern no favours at all... The particular bit where Lenihan at the end says "It seems to me now that it's very important to have tight banking regulation" (paraphrased).. a real facepalm moment..
    In fact, this year, sorry last year, I thought myself basic Spanish from one of the free language courses on the website.
    I tried to learn Spanish in the car on the way to work a few years ago... "ola. Qui t'alle"?? and that's about as far as I got.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have two hard-working parents living not far from me who pay for their own out of fear of "a court appearance or a hefty fine", so yes I have an opinion on it, and I'll keep offering it until a moderator tells me to stop.

Look at the thread, look at the sickened fee paying masses, then look closely and you see the usual one or two miniature flag wavers trying to preserve the rep of our "public service broadcaster".
    You're fighting a losing battle as this ship is holed and sinking slowly.
    Bring on the lifeboats.

Wait I haven't had my say. :rolleyes:

TV3 have yet to do a countdown in the last 13 years, I think TG4 did it once in the last 15 years. RTÉ 2 might have done it at some stage.

But lets face it what ever RTÉ where going to do we would have a pointless thread on boards complaining about it, how many posts so far for a decision that RTÉ have taken for the past 3 New Years Eve to place The All Ireland Talent Show Results Show Live during the NYE celebrations.

Go out a celebrate NYE, don't ****ing stay in watching the TV.

Here's a link to RTÉ countdown 2011 or is that 2010???

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1087997 32:00 in, it seems they can count backwards from 10.

Also:-

No TV channel organises Fireworks that usually comes from state officals in their respective capital cities, or for example the National Lottery Skyfest during St. Patrick's which is not organised through RTÉ.

Next year head out. Biggest most pointless thread ever.

When TV3 or any commercial company start supporting DTT and other such efforts I will glad join your propaganda lifeboat. Maybe the Xpose Girl will countdown NYE next year.

Elmo wrote: »

Go out a celebrate NYE, don't ****ing stay in watching the TV.

I was out Elmo.

When TV3 or any commercial company start supporting DTT and other such efforts I will glad join your propaganda lifeboat. Maybe the Xpose Girl will countdown NYE next year.

Do you think the man in the street gives two **** about supporting DTT and other such efforts.
    They want information and entertainment...... which is sadly lacking with RTE.
    No use having the gold plated train tracks if the train running on them is a shit-heap.

Case in point, my father is a farmer and which countryside programme do you think he prefers, "Ear to the ground (RTE) or Countryfile (BBC).
    Even though Countryfile is from across the water he still prefers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I was out Elmo.

Do you think the man in the street gives two **** about supporting DTT and other such efforts.
    They want information and entertainment...... which is sadly lacking with RTE.
    No use having the train tracks if the train running on them is a shit-heap.

Case in point, my father is a farmer and which countryside programme do you think he prefers "Ear to the ground (RTE) or Countryfile (BBC).
    Even though Countryfile is from across the water he still prefers it.

Well guess what as a National Broadcast that what it has to do its part of the remit just in the same way that the BBC had to save ITV in the mid-2000s from it.

I agree that Entertainment is lacking on RTÉ, I do actually give out about RTÉ in that department. And if you read my posts outside of why I think RTÉ do a good job, you would realize that I can be quite critical of them, but then I rarely see you on those threads.

As for ETTG as a non-farmer I quiet enjoy that show, Countryfile often comes across a bit pretentious. But then as I said you really can't compare RTÉ to the BBC who are far more commercial and get nearly 4billion from commercial activities and the licence fee.

• Advertisement

Well guess what as a National Broadcast that what it has to do its part of the remit just in the same way that the BBC had to save ITV in the mid-2000s from it.

?
    I agree that Entertainment is lacking on RTÉ, I do actually give out about RTÉ in that department. And if you read my posts outside of why I think RTÉ do a good job, you would realize that I can be quite critical of them, but then I rarely see you on those threads.

That's a first, me missing out on a chance of bashing RTE.
    Send me a PM the next time.

As for ETTG as a non-farmer I quiet enjoy that show, Countryfile often comes across a bit pretentious.

Son of farmer here, and I would prefer Countryfile.
    If "ear to the ground" was made to appeal to Daddio and myself then they are failing.

But then as I said you really can't compare RTÉ to the BBC who are far more commercial and get nearly 4billion from commercial activities and the licence fee.

My father is always thinking about this when looking for a informative and entertaining programme......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement