Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi iPod Speaker Dock with Alarm Clock Radio

• 24-07-2009 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭

Product_detail_Wk00T39.jpg
    iPod Speaker Dock with Alarm Clock Radio
    each €39.99 *

* USB interface and SD card reader (supports up to 16GB)
    * PLL AM/FM Radio with Preset Function
    * LCD Display with backlight
    * Wake up to Alarm, Radio or iPod
    * Snooze Function
    * Sleep to iPod, USB, Radio, Alarm
    * Aux-in for connecting MP3/MP4 Players or Walkmans
    * Mains Power or Battery Operated (batteries not included)
    * Full Function Remote Control
    * In a choice of Black, Black/White or Black/Silver
    * iPod not included
    * Speaker output 2 x 2.5W

Was thinking on buying this but was wondering is it good value or is it any good?
    Thought there's a good chance someone might have it since they bring in a lot of the same stuff into the stores. The 2.5W speakers don't sound like they'll do much tbh
    It's out July 30th btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If it is just for playing your ipod on, and not for the radio clock bit, then I would say to look at getting an Ipig instead.

I got one as a present and the sound is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Kess73 wrote: »
    If it is just for playing your ipod on, and not for the radio clock bit, then I would say to look at getting an Ipig instead.

I got one as a present and the sound is excellent.

Naw would ideally would have a radio/alarm in it aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Power City has the Philips AJ300D Clock Radio/ipod Dock for €55 reduced from €79. Only €15 more for a trusted brand. The build quality is a lot better. 2x 6W + there's a small subwoofer on the back too!

51fdc3q4ill__ss500_.jpg

The Power City model is black.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Gazza22 wrote: »
    Power City has the Philips AJ300D Clock Radio/ipod Dock for €55 reduced from €79. Only €15 more for a trusted brand. The build quality is a lot better. 2x 6W + there's a small subwoofer on the back too!

That actually looks quite good, pity I don't live near a Power City and they charge a tenner for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

I bought a car radio from Aldi a few months back and it hasn't given me any bother at all. One of my friend's bought one about 2 years back and he only got rid of it when he crashed his car, so the quality of their technology is very good, in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

All their electronics usually have a 3 year guarrantee anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Very tempted to get one of these myself. Although the Philips in Power City looks nice and it's got 6W speakers as opposed to 2.5W.

I was also looking at this one from DID electrical
    DC185.jpg

It's on a 50% reduction and is only €50. Again the speakers would only be 2W though. Tough decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

anyone know if any of these would work with an iPhone (as opposed to an iPod)?

anyone know if any of these would work with an iPhone (as opposed to an iPod)?

AFIK the Touch and Iphone have the very same connections. I have a Touch myself which has the same as my previous Nano.

Of course you could always go into Aldi, Power City or wherever and check to be sure to be sure ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Very tempted to get one of these myself. Although the Philips in Power City looks nice and it's got 6W speakers as opposed to 2.5W.

I was also looking at this one from DID electrical
    DC185.jpg

It's on a 50% reduction and is only €50. Again the speakers would only be 2W though. Tough decisions...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001817G66/ref=asc_df_B001817G66865153?smid=A1J7WSBJHTGUFA&tag=dealt3784-20&linkCode=asn

• Advertisement

Samsung wrote: »

:eek:

List Price: $69.99
    Price: $35.71
    You Save: $34.28 (49%)

Pity that's Amazon.com

Here it is on the UK website £59 or €70 so u'd be saving €20 or 30% with DID Electrical really

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Would these speaker docks charge your ipod while it is in them?

litup wrote: »
    Would these speaker docks charge your ipod while it is in them?

Most def

Anyone pick one of these up yet? What's the verdict?

I'll be tipping out at lunch time. With a 3 year warranty I thought, might as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Anybody picking one of these up for the iPhone beware - you get interference if the phone is not in Airplane mode!

Checked out 2 models in the Bose shop in Dundrum - they had 2 models

199 - without shield
    299 - with shield that stopped that interference (like when a mobile is near a radio)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Anybody picking one of these up for the iPhone beware - you get interference if the phone is not in Airplane mode!

Checked out 2 models in the Bose shop in Dundrum - they had 2 models

199 - without shield
    299 - with shield that stopped that interference (like when a mobile is near a radio)

Also, not all docks will charge the iphone (even though they do charge the ipod Touch !)

It's a neat little job tbh and it meets all my expectations. Quite happy with it for the money.

The functionality is pretty straightforward too.

No surprises the speakers are limited in terms of volume and base (which probably makes it better suited for my apartment) but there's still a good decent sound out of them and no crackling at max volume. There's an output jack so I can hook it up to my other speakers if needs be.

Plus it came with: 1 jack to jack cable and 1 jack to phono, which weren't advertised. The remote had a battery included too.
    Not bad for 40 squid ;)

The unit itself needs 2 AA and 9 C batteries if yout using it without the mains in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

word of warning, new itouch and iphones dont work with nearly all the ipod devices like these bar ones specifically stating it, power connector changed on 2nd gen itouch, think it will feed music but wont charge... dunno bout these models, just a heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Guys,
    I picked one up this morning and it probably is a bargain for €40, looks reasonable, works pretty well but I will be bringing it back as it has one fatal flaw IMO:

As a clock radio, it should be in the bedroom to wake you up and ideally you put you iPod / iPhone into the charger at nighttime. But this systems decides to start playing the ipod, i.e. it switches it on and starts playing immediately, therefore waking up the wife/kids. There isn't any configuration menu to change this behaviour so it has to go back.

I also have an IPhone and it does charge it but it does cause lots of interference when it is switched on. The IPhone can obviously be switched into "Airplane mode". It doesn't cause interference (or at least I didn't hear any with a quick test) when it was switched off. But again because of the "flaw" mentioned previously it switches itself on, when the IPhone is placed in the charging dock and then both starts playing music and getting interference (it takes a few seconds to switch it to airplane mode), this would "do my head in" I am afraid.

The only other issues I noticed where the remote seems strangely un-responsive, it does sort of work, but buttons on the remote to switch "sources" IPod, usb, radio, don't seem to work correctly. I could also not figure out how to save and switch between radio stations.

But what do you expect for this price!!!

Its a pity as I liked the idea of a clock radio ipod charger which was also an MP3 player and was also portable (there is room for batteries underneath), if only they provided more "configuration" options I might have kept it.

Jerome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

jeromeof wrote: »
    I noticed where the remote seems strangely un-responsive, it does sort of work, but

I'm generally a fan of Aldi/Medion products esp computer related. However, I've bought a few A/V items from Aldi over the years and I've never been happy with remote control performance. The quote from OP above sums it up - un-responsive but does work, kind-of!
    Great muscle-building exercise for thumbs but ........

Don't forget, you can bring it back for a full refund. I'm not sure about the time-limit but Aldi are very good usually, I think 1 month though maybe officially 2 weeks. I've never heard of any genuine return being refused.

• Advertisement

jeromeof wrote: »
    Guys,
    The only other issues I noticed where the remote seems strangely un-responsive, it does sort of work, but buttons on the remote to switch "sources" IPod, usb, radio, don't seem to work correctly. I could also not figure out how to save and switch between radio stations.

But what do you expect for this price!!!

Its a pity as I liked the idea of a clock radio ipod charger which was also an MP3 player and was also portable (there is room for batteries underneath), if only they provided more "configuration" options I might have kept it.
    Jerome

Funny, the remote works fine for me as long as it's pointing at the unit. As for switching between the stations, u'll notice some of the buttons have second functions. So to switch stations that u've saved u press the mem button first then the ones for ch up/down (these are the ones that are also for tuning). The power button also has two different functions depending on whether u hold it in or just press it once.

I hear what ur saying about it powering on as soon as u place the ipod in. That doesn't bother me, but now that u've mentioned it I'll be looking to see if there's a way of preventing this. Not that I need it (Don't have to worry about waking up kids :D)

Advertisement