Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chartered Engineer 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm going for Chartership next year, and my bosses are pushing to go for the January deadline. What I'd like to know is how strict they are on CPD times. I have plenty spread out over the last 6 years but don't meet the 5 days per annum for the last two years, or the suggested 3 days per annum on the training courses/postgrad courses. By the time I apply I'm likely to meet the 5 days for the last year, and 2 of the 3 for training courses (maybe 3 days), but not for the year before that. Will this hurt my application?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can add a day worth of structured reading per calendar year - can you include any design standards etc that you are familiar with?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You can add a day worth of structured reading per calendar year - can you include any design standards etc that you are familiar with?

I've already included that. Standards compliance is a main part of my job and I easily do many multiples of the 8 hours allowed to be included.

My main issue is with the requirement for number of days on training courses, which is recommended in the guidelines as 3 days per annum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've already included that. Standards compliance is a main part of my job and I easily do many multiples of the 8 hours allowed to be included.

My main issue is with the requirement for number of days on training courses, which is recommended in the guidelines as 3 days per annum.

Have you done any post grad worK? EI have a good guide on what counts as CPD. Review that and then review your cpd log again

godtabh wrote: »
    Have you done any post grad worK? EI have a good guide on what counts as CPD. Review that and then review your cpd log again

I have the guidance notes that cover CPD. I haven't done any post grad courses, so the 3 day recommendation covers training alone. I have undergone less formal but equally rigorous on the job training but I'm unsure whether this could be used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have the guidance notes that cover CPD. I haven't done any post grad courses, so the 3 day recommendation covers training alone. I have undergone less formal but equally rigorous on the job training but I'm unsure whether this could be used.

It is

It is

Brilliant, thanks. I've asked some questions of IEI on the process so I'll confirm with them when they've answered my first couple of questions.

I may be back for more guidance!

Congrats by the way Sparks! Still waiting for an interview here.

Dónal wrote: »

Still? whats the issue? Is it because of the career change?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Cheers Donal. How are you still waiting though, I thought they'd gotten everyone from the last submission date by now?

• Advertisement

Nah, there was a rake of dates at the end of August and start of September but I was away for all of them. Gave them my availability then but haven't heard anything.

I think I'm in with Civil/Structural again (my career has been a mix of lots of different stuff), but so be it! Must give them a shout tomorrow now that everything else has calmed down.

Edit: Just checked an earlier e-mail, they are planning on holding more interviews in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Good luck with it Donal!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DoBai

Hey folks, I did my interview in July and got the thumbs up in Sept. Here's my tuppence worth.

1. I'm from a PM background so they didn't get into technical detail except where I referred specifically in my report to welding codes but I had studied up on it well and used it as a hook which worked well. Similarly, I had mentioned difficulty with secant piling which they took apart, mainly because one of the interviewers had trouble in that area recently. I had left it open ended on the report but had read up so I had the answers.
    2. They stayed rigidly to my report and essays - its been said before but i'll say it again: know your report inside out! Use your report, essays and presentation to steer the questions as much as possible.
    3. For the presentation, I printed out a powerpoint presentation on A3 and displayed in a display folder (double sided) standing on the table. This way the interviewers have a clear visual presentation in front of them and you have it in front of you, on which you can put additional prompt notes. Practice the presentation in front of somebody a few times!
    4. A silly thing but fill a glass of water when you get in and take a drink occasionally. Take your time answering the questions.
    5. Remember, they are just normal guys. Its no different to going into an important meeting (which everyone should have done at this stage especially if you are going for chartership :) ) - stay focused, calm and be very well prepared.

Best of luck to the next round of applicants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Guys, I am looking to set the wheels in motion for applying before the 30th Jan deadline.
    Do you think I have enough time to get a healthy submission between now and then?
    Granted I will probably only get about 20% of it completed before the new year with Christmas and all that.

Guys, I am looking to set the wheels in motion for applying before the 30th Jan deadline.
    Do you think I have enough time to get a healthy submission between now and then?
    Granted I will probably only get about 20% of it completed before the new year with Christmas and all that.

A month is more than enough time if you put your mind to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Thanks, that's the plan anyway.
    I tend to work better under pressure and with a fast approaching deadline anyway.

Get your signatories lined up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Im also looking at a submission before Jan deadline. I have to complete this Phase 1-Route B section first as part of the further learning requirement on my degree. On first look it seems pretty tough and demanding with alot of focus on alternative engineering design and innovation. That has to be completed and submitted for review before I can proceed for Phase 2 stage.
    Anybody completed this Phase 1 Route B yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

I submitted an application for the last window and haven't heard back anything yet.
    I had been in touch with IEI some months previously but when the deadline was almost up I was speaking to someone else who sent me on much more info.
    If you want to PM me your email add I can send it on.
    * edit - you know you will need 3 years of engineering experience after having passed the Phase 1 assessment.

Hah, I cant believe I started this thread nearly two years ago. Time flies eh. Anyways, just rang Engineers Ireland and was told that I was successful (interview was eventually held end of November), so I'm quite delighted to be able to call myself a Chartered Engineer now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭J82

Hah, I cant believe I started this thread nearly two years ago. Time flies eh. Anyways, just rang Engineers Ireland and was told that I was successful (interview was eventually held end of November), so I'm quite delighted to be able to call myself a Chartered Engineer now.

Congrats!!!! Delighted for you. I got mine recently too. Glad to have the whole process behind me tbh!

Thanks for starting this thread... I know I found it helpful reading when I was working on my application and interview.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭J82

Congrats!!!! Delighted for you. I got mine recently too. Glad to have the whole process behind me tbh!

Thanks for starting this thread... I know I found it helpful reading when I was working on my application and interview.

:-)

Fair play. You going to buy the stamp?

Fair play. You going to buy the stamp?

For that price!? Not a chance! I considered the lapel for a second.

Linked in profile updated, that'll do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Jaysus, I didn't realise there was a stamp. That's one way to stroke the ego I suppose.
    Its a good feeling adding those four letters to the Linkedin profile.

Congrats Dónal, its a great achievement.

First official working day of the year.

Are many people doing it this year? Thread title updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

First official working day of the year.

Are many people doing it this year? Thread title updated.

Struggling to get motivated to submit it. Think Ill wait until June. Have to go through this part 1 crap. feels like submitting it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I thought about it the last few years and decided just before xmass that its not worth it. Being chartered doesn't make any difference in my industry.

I haven't even paid my subs to engineers ireland this year. I think the subs would be a waste of money and I be better spending the 250 yo yos or so on a training course or books to update my skills.

They sent me enough reminders though!!

Frogeye

I've only got one reminder this year. Will pay it this month at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

A month ? ! ! - A week should be more than enough. You're not writing War and Peace....

Advertisement