Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Job title/role advice

• 30-06-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Hey, after a frustrating week of interviews I just want to throw a question out here in the hope of some helpful advice or guidance. I have over 10 years experience in the Irish software dev industry with a degree in IT & Telecomms, having worked in all roles from testing and support to front-end and back-end dev (C#, ASP.NET, JavaScript, SQL etc.). I am mostly self taught in programming and the majority of work has been in the financial and document mgmt industry.
    I have been turned down for a number of roles due to being over-qualified (support analyst) or under-qualified (C# mid-level dev), any advice on what role titles I should be pursuing, or any particular industry I should be pursuing? I want to enhance my programming skillset but I don't think I currently have the required knowledge and experience to walk into a role as a professional .Net developer.
    Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

fragile wrote: »
    Hey, after a frustrating week of interviews I just want to throw a question out here in the hope of some helpful advice or guidance. I have over 10 years experience in the Irish software dev industry with a degree in IT & Telecomms, having worked in all roles from testing and support to front-end and back-end dev (C#, ASP.NET, JavaScript, SQL etc.). I am mostly self taught in programming and the majority of work has been in the financial and document mgmt industry.
    I have been turned down for a number of roles due to being over-qualified (support analyst) or under-qualified (C# mid-level dev), any advice on what role titles I should be pursuing, or any particular industry I should be pursuing? I want to enhance my programming skillset but I don't think I currently have the required knowledge and experience to walk into a role as a professional .Net developer.
    Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.

When you say turned down, do you mean not invited for interview or that you weren't successful having been interviewed?

The title is probably the least important thing on a job spec. It's the technologies and responsibilities of the role that you should be targeting.

10 years experience is a long time but what type of experience is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Why were you deemed under qualified for a mid-level dev role? How many years .Net do you have?

Advertisement