Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why can't Play send me electronics/gadgets/other items?

• 15-11-2006 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

This is taken from the Play.com website, it also applies to Amazon.co.uk also.
    We currently only send electronics and gadgets to UK addresses and for security reasons we can only send electronics and gadget items to the billing address of your account.

Also to order DVDs and other items, you have to select Euro as the currency as they will not let you order using Sterling anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I had heard it was to do with the WEEE fee.
    The WEEE recycling levy which will apply on all electrical and electronic goods sold in the country and outside retailers can't reslove the levy so they aren't shipping into the country.
    As for play.com not shipping outside the uk there has been rumblings in the usa about the loss of revenue to do sales tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No one can seem to get a straight answer from play, apart from an automated/copy & paste/generic response. I believe it has to do with the WEEE recycling issue alright.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Ruu wrote:
    No one can seem to get a straight answer from play, apart from an automated/copy & paste/generic response. I believe it has to do with the WEEE recycling issue alright.

Hi

yes same here and was the same with Amazon.co.uk when they started it took over a month and escalations to get an answer.

What I don't understant is how other online shops deal with it, Like Pixmania, Komplett or Elara, I thought they were supose to show the price with WEEE and also how much WEE is.

Why are only some shops affected by the WEEE

Regards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

nava wrote:
    What I don't understant is how other online shops deal with it, Like Pixmania, Komplett or Elara, I thought they were supose to show the price with WEEE and also how much WEE is.

All three of those businesses you mention seem to have offices in Ireland, so presumably can pass on the charges to the government.

Firebox.com also have the same restrictions, but for some reason IWOOT.com don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just wondering if there has been any change in this situation? In particular with Amazon.co.uk?

I have an account with Amazon and I have no problem buying books and CDs, but I can't buy the likes of compact flash cards.

Is there no way round this? dabs.ie are very good, but they're not as good for the compact flash cards.

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Try shop4memory.ie if they still exist. They are/were based in Celbridge and at one timedid the cheapest USB stick in Europe...back when 256mb was top of the range :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Does anyone know if there's a working email address for Play.com support?
    I've placed an order for several DVDs and havea question about the order.

Can't find an email address anywhere on the site :/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Try info@play.com. I had some missing DVDs recently and used that address to contact them. Alternatively you can call them on +44 (0)1534 877

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

According to Newstalk this morning the body for WEEE recycling in Ireland want Amazon and co to pay up but as far as Amazon is not interested since they have already paid their suppliers this tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Steve J

gotta be the postal charges?

• Advertisement

It has nothing to do with postage, Play just don't want pay weee on the double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hill16upthedubs

I have tried ordering MP3 players, Games for DS, Razorblades, camera and watches off both amazon.com and co.uk and no joy.

It does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Man this is ridiculous. so we have to go to a physical bricks-and-mortar shop anymore when we want to buy console games and stuff? what next they're gonna force us to go to the river with a washing board and take away our washing machines? and confiscate our biros and give us stone tablets and chisels???

OK maybe over-dramatising but i really feel we are going back in time with not being able to do online shopping any more. does anyone know of an online shop that does still sell to Ireland? I want to buy a PS3 game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I didn't realise that PS3 games are also covered by the WEEE directive?

Anyway - if we are to pay WEEE on goods we buy online, where are we supposed to deliver the old stuff for disposal?

Play don't ship to Ireland any electronic related items either. I tried to get pouch for Creative Zen and was refused because I live in the republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hill16upthedubs

Galen wrote: »
    Play don't ship to Ireland any electronic related items either. I tried to get pouch for Creative Zen and was refused because I live in the republic.

I tried to get 'who wants to be a millionaire' for my ma's DS
    At first i thought it was issue with debit card then i tried a credit card, wouldnt have that. I must be were i live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

This is rediculous!! I tried to by a Star Wars bobblehead off of Play.com and I couldn't. Apparently because of WEEE. SINCE WHEN IS A 7inch PLASTIC TOY THAT HAS ABSOLUTELY NO ELECTRONICS COVERED BY WEEE??

This is rediculous, it's like being back in the early 90s!! It's times like this I really hate living in Ireland...

I eMailed play about this, waiting to see what their response is...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Keep me informed on the response from Play (if you get any). I had kind of assumed this problem had only appeared for a short while because I hear of so few people complaining about it, but evidently not.

Still though, there must still be somewhere online where you can order stuff like this and have them delivered to Ireland. Were I a less scrupulous type, I would simply illegally download all games and music I want from P2P and feck themselves and their WEEE. I know its not the fault of the websites to have to stick to ridiculous charges being sought by the body for WEEE recycling in Ireland but I would’ve thought by now some reasonable resolution would've been put in place!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I ordered a rechargeable battery pack for the XBox 360 off Play.com.

I didn't think I'd be able to do this? I'm not complaining as it's cheaper than the shops here, I just thought they didn't ship electronic items including batteries?

You did well there - they can be very scabby about what they send. Amazon are getting very bad - they wouldn't even ship a poxy rubber dog chew toy today for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

It is all so very weird.

I bought the PS3 singstar game including microphones from amazon, but was unable to buy the second or third game on their own. Both are direct from amazon themselves.

I ordered the two extra games from play.com, but after 6 days the order still reads 'order placed'.

Play have no customer services or contact anymore.

I think I will cancel and buy from amazon marketplace instead

Boo

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Lads,

I dont know why you are so bothered by this policy by Play and Amazon
    There are PLENTY of places that will ship what you want to ireland with no problem, and a lot of them will be cheaper too.

Just takes a bit of looking.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I dont know why you are so bothered by this policy by Play and Amazon
    There are PLENTY of places that will ship what you want to ireland with no problem, and a lot of them will be cheaper too.

Yes, but I would rather make one transaction and pay shipping once, rather than having to set up accounts with various different sites around the world and pay more shipping costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

eoin_s wrote: »
    All three of those businesses you mention seem to have offices in Ireland, so presumably can pass on the charges to the government.

Sorry pass what charges onto the Government? We have to pay a huge amount to WEE every month and pay the WEE society a fee every year.

Kin Mak wrote: »
    Sorry pass what charges onto the Government? We have to pay a huge amount to WEE every month and pay the WEE society a fee every year.

I wrote that 2 years ago, but I think I meant that Irish based companies had a mechanism in place to pay the Irish government the WEEE charges, but amazon may not. Like I said, old post so can't remember for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

eoin_s wrote: »
    I wrote that 2 years ago, but I think I meant that Irish based companies had a mechanism in place to pay the Irish government the WEEE charges, but amazon may not. Like I said, old post so can't remember for sure.

Lol... woops. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

What about those business' that let you order stuff to be delivered to them (In the UK) and then they send it to you for a small charge? I think I saw something like that on eBay? Does such a service exist or was I dreaming?

Conor108 wrote: »
    What about those business' that let you order stuff to be delivered to them (In the UK) and then they send it to you for a small charge? I think I saw something like that on eBay? Does such a service exist or was I dreaming?

I'm sure there are some companies that do that. If you google for UK mail forwarding, you should get some hits. There was a US one as well, which was handy for all those American based retailers that are unaware of other countries existing, but I think it closed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Tried buying a an sd card off amazon this morning. No joy. Prices are excellent now especially with the sterling and we can't buy off them. This is very bad. I've given up on games except for xbox360 games which I buy from play-asia. It's amazing, I buy most of my stuff from Hong Kong i.e. DX and can't buy anything from amazon and play. Sad.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

eoin wrote: »
    I'm sure there are some companies that do that. If you google for UK mail forwarding, you should get some hits. There was a US one as well, which was handy for all those American based retailers that are unaware of other countries existing, but I think it closed down.

try recession bustours.ie they receive anything from UK suppliers and courier them down south for €20 ;)

Advertisement