Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there a place for erotic romantic fiction set in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

It's my guilty pleasure :o (pardon the pun). I've yet to come across one set in Ireland though. I know location should be irrelevant provided the standard of writing is good but on the other hand, the aim of erotic fiction is to paint a glamorous fast paced exciting picture. Would it alienate readers from other countries if a story was based in Ireland? Or does it all really just hang on the steamy sex and magnetic tall dark handsome men?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I suppose as long as it's not "howya luv dya want a roide dya" it shouldn't matter what the location is :p
    Say people from other countries might find it interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I'd say so. I haven't read Erotica per say, but I have read urban Fantasy with erotic romance elements. You could add some fast paced plots into an Irish setting. Tbh, you could just think of a plot you'd do in another country, and just throw into this one.

Also, I'd say Ireland could have quite an erotic vibe to it. Hell, at the end of the day anything could. The rain that sticks a shirt onto a man's muscular back, and slicks the whole of his body. The warmth of a crackling fire kissing flesh while rain beats against the window pane. The hot humid weather that makes a body glisten and shine. * And so on.

Also, we've quite a multicultural country. So, if it's in the city you could have a few cast of characters. You could contrast the body of a man with olive skin, rose kissed lips, and smooth, sleek muscle, with the man who has broad callused hands, and rough farm-work muscle. It doesn't all have to be a tall dark stranger with icy blue eyes. :P

*Well, to be honest in real life someone would just be a sweaty mess, but, you know, Fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

In fact, there is a quite a lot of erotic fiction based in Ireland, often published by non-Irish publishers.

The trouble is, from an Irish publisher's pov, that you need to get the details right, so it's hard to make it racy and exciting. And readers from outside the country do not want an erotica set in the flats in Ballymun. But readers in the US, say, love stories set in Ireland.

I've just finished my fifth erotica for Penguin Ireland, and they are all set in other countries, with only a few scenes in Ireland. Howeve, if they go for another book, we're planning to set that in a haunted castle and a few other glamorous settings in Ireland.

However, if you PM me, I'll send you details about a new publisher who is looking for Irish erotica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

That'd be brilliant Eileen thanks :) My plot could fit in anywhere really but I'd rather set it somewhere I'm familiar with, somewhere I can actually look at and describe. I recently read a book set in London that was written by an american author and it was blatantly obvious that she hadn't done her research, it really put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Sent a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

EileenG wrote: »
    In fact, there is a quite a lot of erotic fiction based in Ireland, often published by non-Irish publishers.

The trouble is, from an Irish publisher's pov, that you need to get the details right, so it's hard to make it racy and exciting. And readers from outside the country do not want an erotica set in the flats in Ballymun. But readers in the US, say, love stories set in Ireland.

I've just finished my fifth erotica for Penguin Ireland, and they are all set in other countries, with only a few scenes in Ireland. Howeve, if they go for another book, we're planning to set that in a haunted castle and a few other glamorous settings in Ireland.

However, if you PM me, I'll send you details about a new publisher who is looking for Irish erotica.

Hi EileenG ,

I have an idea myself for a fantasy novel set in Ireland with erotic elements to the story , would it be possible for you to pm me the details of new publisher also ? Thanks a million :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GreenGables

It's my guilty pleasure :o (pardon the pun). I've yet to come across one set in Ireland though. I know location should be irrelevant provided the standard of writing is good but on the other hand, the aim of erotic fiction is to paint a glamorous fast paced exciting picture. Would it alienate readers from other countries if a story was based in Ireland? Or does it all really just hang on the steamy sex and magnetic tall dark handsome men?

I'm a Canadian living in Canada and recently a friend of mine from Galway sent me the book 'Tales From Galway'. There was a fictional story in the book that had some eroticism in it and I very much enjoyed it.

I would enjoy reading an erotic story set in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GreenGables

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    I'd say so. I haven't read Erotica per say, but I have read urban Fantasy with erotic romance elements. You could add some fast paced plots into an Irish setting. Tbh, you could just think of a plot you'd do in another country, and just throw into this one.

Also, I'd say Ireland could have quite an erotic vibe to it. Hell, at the end of the day anything could. The rain that sticks a shirt onto a man's muscular back, and slicks the whole of his body. The warmth of a crackling fire kissing flesh while rain beats against the window pane. The hot humid weather that makes a body glisten and shine. * And so on.

Also, we've quite a multicultural country. So, if it's in the city you could have a few cast of characters. You could contrast the body of a man with olive skin, rose kissed lips, and smooth, sleek muscle, with the man who has broad callused hands, and rough farm-work muscle. It doesn't all have to be a tall dark stranger with icy blue eyes. :P

*Well, to be honest in real life someone would just be a sweaty mess, but, you know, Fantasy.

Is it warm in here or just me? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Is it warm in here or just me? tongue.png

I think it's just you :(

Tbh, I kind of want to write a little bit of erotica, because I like to keep the awkward elements in my normal fiction :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Would you be interested in combining erotica with historical fiction/The Irish had a great reputation for being sexually liberal, from the time of the Celts right up to the plantations. The Brehon laws were incredibly enlightened and allowed people to embark on some interesting adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Chexk out nessa broken Sisters series its set in dublin and its hot plus some of the irish lingo its fast past also

Advertisement