Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Welterweight Division

• 08-05-2012 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

After a very long period of Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck being the main gatekeepers to a shot at the seemingly unbeatable GSP, the Welterweight division seems to have finally opened up with some serious new contenders.

The timing seems unfortunate due to GSP's injury but since the GSP Condit fight looks to be pencilled in for around November, surely no one wants to see Johnny Hendricks wait til 3-4 months after that fight to see him fight for the belt. Especially when you've got (probably) 3 other very legitimate contenders waiting in the wings.

What matches would you like to see between now and when GSP and Condit undispute the title?

The 3 other potential contenders I was talking about which seem to have emerged would be Ellenberger, MacDonald and Kampmann. Since Kampmann and Ellenberger are fighting in 3 weeks, doesn't it just make sense to book Rory MacDonald Vs Johnny Hendricks rather than having Hendricks wait almost a year for a shot at the belt and have MacDonald blast through another unranked opponent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I just don't see how Hendricks is being touted as Number 1, I know he beat Kos and Fitch however I still think he needs to win another fight Kos doesn't seem as good these days and it was a very close fight. Be it McDonald or anyone else I think he needs 1 more decent win. His post fight interview seems he is happy to wait for his 'Million dollar' shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I think the only reason it appears to have opened up is because GSP is injured.

Were he fighting fit he'd have two mores wins on his record by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

All the others are just scrambling around to be the No.2 WW in the world. None of these guys, including Condit, has a chance of getting near beating GSP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Then again, there's also Nick Diaz to consider if he gets through his suspension issues.

Reckon Rory McDonald would have the best chance against GSP but don't think their bromance would ever let them fight each other.

Locomotion wrote: »
    Then again, there's also Nick Diaz to consider if he gets through his suspension issues.

Reckon Rory McDonald would have the best chance against GSP but don't think their bromance would ever let them fight each other.

I agree with this. Rory is looking like a beast! I'd like to see a rematch between he and Carlos Condit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

How bout Nick Diaz takin' revenge for his brother on MacDonald?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Ush1 wrote: »
    How bout Nick Diaz takin' revenge for his brother on MacDonald?

Yeah I think this would be a great fight.

I think Diaz has the best chance of beating GSP right now, but the Condit fight had to go and ruin all that :mad:. Diaz can definitely stand with GSP, and is probably better off his back than anyone in the division.

He definitely has the tools. It's one of those situations isn't it? Condit got the better of Diaz but I don't think Condit has what it takes to beat GSP.

And although I don't think Diaz would beat him either, he definitely possesses the tools!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭threeball

McDonald will be kept well away from a contender spot until GSP decides to move on so that fight will never happen. Hendricks seems to be in 3rd spot at the moment after the Koscheck fight (who seems to be losing his relevance in the UFC).

Long layoff for Hendricks and for Condit until GSP comes back which is unfair on both of them. Think McDonald would beat them both but he won't be paired up for the above reason. Koscheck could be his next opponent which could see McDonald handing him his cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

MrStuffins wrote: »
    All the others are just scrambling around to be the No.2 WW in the world. None of these guys, including Condit, has a chance of getting near beating GSP!
    matt%20serra%20ufc%20belt.jpg

stranger things have happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

GSP is different beast now compared to then.

Arawn wrote: »
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    matt%20serra%20ufc%20belt.jpg

stranger things have happened

Very true but if that happens the victor's reign will be temporary, as it was with Matt Serra!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The question is how fit will GSP be when he comes back. He's had a long lay off and it'll be interesting to see if he comes back better than ever or if it has affected him at all. He trains like an animal though and he's a very intelligent fighter.
    At the minute, in the WW division I don't think there's anybody who could touch GSP. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a fan. But the thing with this division is there's a lot of young up and coming fighters who are still improving and will be biting at the heels of GSP in the future. People like John Hathaway, Rory McDonald, Kampmann, Rick Story (although he has had a setback with a couple of losses). Jake Ellenberger--who I believe has the tools to beat GSP. I'm not saying any of these guys could beat GSP tomorrow but they're improving. Then there's Maia who's moved to ww. It'll be interesting to see how he get on at the weight.
    I'll be keeping an eye on John Maguire too. He's only had a couple of fights in the UFC so far but he really impressed me with his "gypsy jiu-jitsu" the last time.
    All in all it's an exciting division and even though it's a bit messy at the minute it's definitely got some cracking fights up ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

How Conduit has a belt around his waist is a joke. He's an absolute flash in the pan, boring fighter who happens to be very good at implementing a gameplan. He begged Dana not to match him with Semtex, and he's already been beaten by Ellenberger and 20 seconds away from losing to McDonald in my opinion. Whatever about the rest of the contenders Conduit has pulled the wool over a lot of eyes to be where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

TechnoPool wrote: »
    GSP is different beast now compared to then.
    Did he change his jaw?? pretty sure a flush connection can still drop him.

Fully expect gsp to carry on winning but saying nobody has a chance to beat him is silly

• Registered Users Posts: 38,980 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Xlami wrote: »
    How Conduit has a belt around his waist is a joke. He's an absolute flash in the pan, boring fighter who happens to be very good at implementing a gameplan. He begged Dana not to match him with Semtex, and he's already been beaten by Ellenberger and 20 seconds away from losing to McDonald in my opinion. Whatever about the rest of the contenders Conduit has pulled the wool over a lot of eyes to be where he is.

If you think he isn't the best in the division outside of GSP that's fair enough.
    but the divisino needed an interim title with GSP out for so long. But he earned the interim titleshot, and he win. simple as that really.

I think Diaz' volume punching could edge a win over GSP if he is smart (when I sayu could I mean he has a better chance than anyoen else). But most likely, GSP will find a weakness and make he look average at best.

Diaz lost the conduit fight be being cocky, sloppy, poor tactics and having a bad corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Dean09 wrote: »
    People like John Hathaway, Rory McDonald, Kampmann, Rick Story (although he has had a setback with a couple of losses). Jake Ellenberger--who I believe has the tools to beat GSP. I'm not saying any of these guys could beat GSP tomorrow but they're improving.

I think tomorrow could be the best time to beat GSP :) That knee is still not 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

Johnny Hendricks vs Rory McDonald would be a great fight. I think that they are the #3 and #4 in the division. I don't think either will beat GSP. Maybe they could beat Conduit, as Rory and him already had a good fight and Rory just keeps getting better. Hendricks needs another win for a title shot. He beat Kos on a split decision only, not convincingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Xlami wrote: »

When did Condit become "boring"?

I've only really seen this said since the Diaz fight, before that it was all "Condit is a killer, 26 finishes from 28 wins!!!!".

Amazing how the tide turns from one fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

When did Condit become "boring"?

I've only really seen this said since the Diaz fight, before that it was all "Condit is a killer, 26 finishes from 28 wins!!!!".

Amazing how the tide turns from one fight.

Very true.
    I've seen this on other forums too and it usually comes from the same people who were complaining about Condit "running away" from Diaz. :rolleyes: (not aiming that at you Xlami, it's something I noticed from other people)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Condit beat Ellenberger and yes, he was 20 seconds away from losing to Rory, but he proceeded to knock Rory out before those 20 seconds so thats hardly relevant. He's one of very few people to have beat Nick Diaz on the feet and he's only ever picked up a decision win twice in his career, so he's definitely not boring. He absolutely deserves the interim title.

Advertisement