Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built like a Badass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

"Built like a Badass" is a stupid name for a program. I have no idea whether it's any good or not.

Try it and see, probably a bad name, but I'm not going to argue with DeFranco, he knows his ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Gintonious wrote: »
    Try it and see, probably a bad name, but I'm not going to argue with DeFranco, he knows his ****.

So essentially, that's Carte Blanche for any industry "name" to come out with any old pap without ever having to worry about whether it's good or not. I'm not saying this is good or bad by the way. It'll actually be like every single other programme ever written:

Here are the results from Built Like a Badass:
    Group 1) These guys will stick to it and get results. They will sing it's praises.
    Group 2) These guys will say they stuck to it but really didn't and added in their own exercises, or did an extra ME day or whatever. They'll say it sucks.
    Group 3) These guys will try to do it but get bored. They'll be neutral.

Having read it, it looks as good as most programmes that come out of the Westside template. The funny thing is that most people will get results out of this because it is a template, and they'll stick to it and cover all the bases over the course of the 6 weeks that they train it. The reason most people don't get results is because they don't train consistently and with good programming. Cookie cutters are good for those people, but they keep adding stuff in or taking stuff out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Having read it, it looks as good as most programmes that come out of the Westside template. The funny thing is that most people will get results out of this because it is a template, and they'll stick to it and cover all the bases over the course of the 6 weeks that they train it. The reason most people don't get results is because they don't train consistently and with good programming. Cookie cutters are good for those people, but they keep adding stuff in or taking stuff out.

For that, you win a lollipop. There's some on the windowsill in Kyuzo, take one.

Hanley wrote: »
    For that, you win a lollipop. There's some on the windowsill in Kyuzo, take one.

Don't you con den ****in send me.

You probably haven't seen that movie either.

• Advertisement

You probably haven't seen that movie either.

Nope, but thankfully I have google!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

No doubt you chaps know your onions. It has to be the structure. It's really involved and intricate though? I mean it's not simple, you'd need it in a folder in the gym.

Surely any guy/gal following this rigidly w appropriate diet would get value out of it? There's a lot of work in it. I was just kinda surprised by the detail.

If you knew a bit about stuff could you reasonably be expected to structure a programme of work for yourself of comparable value?

I think the BLAB(L)A title is pretty dead on from a marketing perspective. The pics of the older guys looking badass had me wondering about target markets etc. I'm sure there's a lot of cash waiting for the next big program.

F*ck "Built Like A Badass", I'm waiting for "Built Like a Honeybadger" - that'll get me on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

That's niche man.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,993 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gintonious wrote: »
    The program is called "Built like a badass", and is written by a pretty reputable coach, so I think its safe to assume that you would build some sort of muscle doing it.
    If you read by post, I never questioned the program, I'm sure its great.
    I was just point out that in general, it's best to wait and see it you reach your goals befroe declaring something to be great.
    dario28 wrote: »
    ]
    Cause it just felt like I was jumping needed 12.5's to make it feel like I was using an effort

Get stronger legs I suppose

Im my mind being wrecked leaving the gym , depending on what muscle group you are working ya couldnt lift much more, fatigued is the posh word i suppose

Im already in good shape, not sure what you are getting at in last statement ??
    Well, i doubt there's much difference between 10 and 12.5kg. Week two is up 15kg afaik.

And its prob not strength building. The max effort squats are for strength. The light squat jumps are prob warm-up or dymanic effort (or whatever WS call it)

Leaving wrecked may be a single good workout. But leaving wrecked everytime is a pretty bad program.

As for the last sentence. i meant the program is for people used to working out, not beginners. DeFranco was aware 10kg was pretty light when programmed it. There are lots of reasons for light sets. He certainly knows what he is doing so I was saying just trust him.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying 12.5kg verses 10kg makes a difference. It doesn't, its just a convient number. I'm saying that changing the Rx'd weights, sets or reps so that you make everything max effort or so every day you wear yourself out isn't a good idea. Light sets are there ofr a reason.
    I'm sure there is some phrase that SS coined that amounts to "Just Follow the F*%king Program"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Mellor wrote: »

Well, i doubt there's much difference between 10 and 12.5kg.

Leaving wrecked may be a single good workout. But leaving wrecked everytime is a pretty bad program.

There is a difference between 10lbs and 12.5kgs though

Explain why pushing yourself on each workout is a pretty bad program ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I assume the 10 lb jumping squat thing is just a way of getting blood moving and warming up; it's unlikely to do much other than prepare you for the next exercise, which are the heavy squats.

mloc wrote: »
    I assume the 10 lb jumping squat thing is just a way of getting blood moving and warming up; it's unlikely to do much other than prepare you for the next exercise, which are the heavy squats.

Potentially something to do with CNS priming and increasing potential force output too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

My Mum took started Couch 2 5k a while ago. After a while she had developed shin-splints. I was kind of surprised by this, because it's such a popular program and lots of fairly unfit people seem to get through it no bother.

When I asked her a bit more about it, she admitted that she had been "doing a little bit extra" because she didn't find it challenging enough. These programs often have some bits that are supposed to be easier than others, if you keep pushing yourself on absolutely everything you do, you run a higher chance of getting wrecked.

Because people don't know the difference between pushing yourself and doing something idiotic. Every session becomes like a test and they quickly crash.

By the way, why don't people write the word "recommended" anymore? What is this RXed thing? Are we texting? Is this the military? I need the RXed number of reps at your 1RM on the LZ ASAP.

Fitness is very simple. I think you should all make an effort to make it even simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There is definitely an issue with people not knowing how to train correctly, but i think that it goes further a field than just to programs from the internet or books etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

By the way, why don't people write the word "recommended" anymore? What is this RXed thing? Are we texting? Is this the military? I need the RXed number of reps at your 1RM on the LZ ASAP.

Apparently everything is instantly cooler when you put the letter x in.
    Vowels are only for people over 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Because people don't know the difference between pushing yourself and doing something idiotic. Every session becomes like a test and they quickly crash.

Fitness is very simple. I think you should all make an effort to make it even simpler.

A LZ is always preceded by HOT, it has to be a hot LZ Barry, Jeeez.

You'll burnout pretty quick and get injuried most likely
    There's a difference between training and testing
    Rx is "prescribed". Comes from doctors notion I believe. I came across the meaning the other day, prob why it crept into my post. I never understood it when I seen it before.
    Suppose shorthand is pointless if you have to explain it ;)

No idea was LZ is though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

LZ = landing zone. Every war movie has it!

I hate the Px/Rx'd thing. It's all part of this "Oh, I work in healthcare" buzz that I noticed in the states. Everyone walks around in scrubs, and they'll list their hospital, years on the job, best mates rotation before they'll admit they're not a doctor or nurse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Just finished Day 3

Good session

the triceps rolling extension and hammer curl set is a killer , had never even heard of a rolling extension before , really good exercise

the 100 push ups was tough , getting to 50 was the easy bit the next 50 not so easy !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

the 100 push ups was tough , getting to 50 was the easy bit the next 50 not so easy !

I tried that the other day; the first fifty I did in well under a minute, the second fifty took another four minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

discus wrote: »

I hate the Px/Rx'd thing. It's all part of this "Oh, I work in healthcare" buzz that I noticed in the states. Everyone walks around in scrubs, and they'll list their hospital, years on the job, best mates rotation before they'll admit they're not a doctor or nurse.

LOL What the Fudge?

d'Oracle wrote: »
    LOL What the Fudge?

I should have put a rant alert in there!

discus wrote: »
    LZ = landing zone. Every war movie has it!

What sort of places were you hanging out that it was flooded with pretend doctors

I have this surreal image in my head of a city where everyone dresses in Scrubs....

What sort of places were you hanging out that it was flooded with pretended doctors

Chiropractors office?

What sort of places were you hanging out that it was flooded with pretended doctors

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills now! NY and Washington. Step into any place for lunch and suddenly scrubs - hundreds of them. Not that I was engaging all of them in conversation, that is! :o

If it was Chicago I could understand.

Both Chicago Hope and ER were set there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Just finished Day 3

Good session

the triceps rolling extension and hammer curl set is a killer , had never even heard of a rolling extension before , really good exercise

secret is to not to go to failure.
    sets of 20 with a small break should have you finish quicker overall.

Advertisement