Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is nexus 9 still worth it?

• 05-07-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭

Having a look for a new tablet, moving from an Asus Transformer Prime 201 which has been great, but recently has slowed down to a crawl, even after factory reset.

The shops have been pushing me towards a levono yoga, but i dont like the big end on it. And there arent great covers for it... I like to throw my tablet into a satchel, which doesn't have much room.

I'm not keen on Samsung due to the bloatware and the laggy interface and generally don't like their design.

Just discovered a shop here that actually stocks the nexus...a rare thing here in the Middle East...

Is it still a decent tablet? I realize there may be new products closer to Christmas, but not sure I can wait that long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭droidman123

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Having a look for a new tablet, moving from an Asus Transformer Prime 201 which has been great, but recently has slowed down to a crawl, even after factory reset.

The shops have been pushing me towards a levono yoga, but i dont like the big end on it. And there arent great covers for it... I like to throw my tablet into a satchel, which doesn't have much room.

I'm not keen on Samsung due to the bloatware and the laggy interface and generally don't like their design.

Just discovered a shop here that actually stocks the nexus...a rare thing here in the Middle East...

Is it still a decent tablet? I realize there may be new products closer to Christmas, but not sure I can wait that long.

I have had mine since launch and love it.i have no issues and It runs smoothly. I would have no hesitation in recommending it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks droidman, there doesn't seem to be much on the market at the moment to compete against it... Think I'll bite the bullet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

It's about €380 here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭corkie

The Nexus 9 is finally a tablet you should buy

Android Central post from about 3 days ago!

Have mine since launch and am happy with it.

Luckily I had no launch issues with mine! Had a clicky back at one stage but it resolved itself!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Ordered a 32gb, might take a couple of days to get here... Could have picked up the 16 gb this evening but could do with the extra space. Seems to be getting much improved reviews since the update to 5.1...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

I was having issues with my battery usage before, compared to my old iPad 2, but that appears to have gone away - perhaps the latest update.

I've a love/hate dynamic with mine - I have to admit I was expecting to be more impressed by the latest and greatest on the Nexus line but not so much.

The latest Nexus 7 is probably better in terms of build quality - just bought one recently, but I wanted a larger screen to read off, hence the nexus 9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I bought one last week off eBay from Hong Kong. 32gb WiFi/LTE and am very happy with it so far. I paid £272 including customs and saw it in Amazon for £460.

I actually thought I was getting the WiFi only model but the LTE turned up. There's no way to turn off the cellular radio so battery was horrendous until I put it in airplane mode. Not ideal but does the job m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I bought one last week off eBay from Hong Kong. 32gb WiFi/LTE and am very happy with it so far. I paid £272 including customs and saw it in Amazon for £460.

I actually thought I was getting the WiFi only model but the LTE turned up. There's no way to turn off the cellular radio so battery was horrendous until I put it in airplane mode. Not ideal but does the job m

Would you have a link by any chance. Seems a decent price.

• Advertisement

Would you have a link by any chance. Seems a decent price.

Just search on eBay. Plenty in and around that price. Seller was "t-dimension-us".

16GB Wi-Fi Nexus 9 discounted to £200 at Amazon UK

You Save: £119.01 (37%)

Amazon Direct Link

Savings only on the 16gb model!

Cost €290.29 with shipping to Ireland!

They put up the price again!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Just search on eBay. Plenty in and around that price. Seller was "t-dimension-us".

Complained about them sending me the LTE version instead of the WiFi only one. Getting £25 back! So, a 32GB WiFi/LTE version, including postage and shipping, for £248. Can't complain about that!

Argos both 16gb and 32gb priced at €279.00

argosN9price.png?dl=0

Just checked the stock, 32gb Out of stock in all stores!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

corkie wrote: »

argosN9price.png?dl=0

It's a great price isn't it. Be very tempted if I see one in Stock anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Whats the battery life like on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

argosN9price.png?dl=0

Stock checker is now saying it can be reserved at the €279 price, should be available to pick up at the weekend. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Stock checker is now saying it can be reserved at the €279 price, should be available to pick up at the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Just reserved one myself. Does this whole reserving malarkey usually work well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

symbolic wrote: »
    Just reserved one myself. Does this whole reserving malarkey usually work well?

It seems to be out of stock everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

budhabob wrote: »
    It seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Yes they don't have any stock at present but you can reserve one. They are saying that they will be available to pick up on the 25th. Here's hoping anyway.

Yes they don't have any stick at present but you can reserve one. They are saying that they will be available to pick up on the 25th. Here's hoping anyway.

Ya reserved it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭statto25

budhabob wrote: »
    Ya reserved it alright.

Will they honour the 279.99 price next week? The small text says the price is valid until tomorrow.

Whats the battery life like on it?

About 6 Hours of extensive use!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

statto25 wrote: »
    Will they honour the 279.99 price next week? The small text says the price is valid until tomorrow.

Someone in BA rang Argos who confirmed that the sale price would be valid when collecting.

TheBazman wrote: »
    Someone in BA rang Argos who confirmed that the sale price would be valid when collecting.

Its gone back up to €419. I hope youre right.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=NEXUS+9&authToken=

Link may not work, the argos website isnt working great today, but search nexus 9 to see.

Did anyone manage to get one at the reserved price?

At €419 is still good value for the 32gb (€100 off)!

Stock check for 32gb Black and 32gb White

Did anyone manage to get one at the reserved price?

At €419 is still good value for the 32gb (€100 off)!

Stock check for 32gb Black and 32gb White

No way at that price. Can be bought much cheaper online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

SMH at people who don't read previous posts
    giphy.gif

• Advertisement

SMH at people who don't read previous posts
    giphy.gif

Your point? I'm suggesting that's it's not good value at €419, whereas the temporary sale price was good value.

Advertisement