Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

phi3 wrote: »
    Just put a letter to my doctor in the post. So stressed about it. Can't believe I did it. I know it's nothing but it's the biggest step I've ever taken. Step one, hopefully of many.
    Well done phi3 - so proud of you. Congrats on taking the first step and feel free to ask any of us any q's you have along the way xx

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

Anyone ever get so pissed off that their life is like this? I used to know a normal life, but now feel like I don't know how to live a normal life. Everyone around me continues to suggest that sorting out my life is just a matter of 'finding the right job'. If I didn't have such an anxious brain I think I could have been a very successful, happy worker. Stupid brain. Why would it hold me back like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Just when you think you're getting back on track all it takes is one thing to mess ya up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭shy_boy

Hey i have had a fairly crappy day also how am i ever going to get better ..sa has ruined my life and contines to do so.. I wont go to my doctor because i fear of meeting someone i know there in the waiting room .i fear i will never allow myself to get better. Has anybody hear tried the cbt therapy? How does it work if so ?? Sorry if i am not making any sence my mind is racing thanks hope everyone thats strugling gets better soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

shy_boy wrote: »
    Hey i have had a fairly crappy day also how am i ever going to get better ..sa has ruined my life and contines to do so.. I wont go to my doctor because i fear of meeting someone i know there in the waiting room .i fear i will never allow myself to get better. Has anybody hear tried the cbt therapy? How does it work if so ?? Sorry if i am not making any sence my mind is racing thanks hope everyone thats strugling gets better soon..

Just on the waiting room, I would say to myself 'I could have the flu. I could have a cold or a cough. I could have twisted my ankle. Basically any embarrassing reason causing me to be here could equally be a non-embarrassing problem. It is whoever sees me who decides in his/her own mind what I'm here for because they will never know'; so it's on them!

• Advertisement

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    Anyone ever get so pissed off that their life is like this? I used to know a normal life, but now feel like I don't know how to live a normal life. Everyone around me continues to suggest that sorting out my life is just a matter of 'finding the right job'. If I didn't have such an anxious brain I think I could have been a very successful, happy worker. Stupid brain. Why would it hold me back like this?
    yep i sure can marzipan
    I have shifted jobs and Always eventually get so caught up in my head and paranoid that i leave that might not relate to you but i can under stand you

Just on the waiting room, I would say to myself 'I could have the flu. I could have a cold or a cough. I could have twisted my ankle. Basically any embarrassing reason causing me to be here could equally be a non-embarrassing problem. It is whoever sees me who decides in his/her own mind what I'm here for because they will never know'; so it's on them!
    You cant say that when in a mental health waiting room though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

You cant say that when in a mental health waiting room though

If you meet someone you know in a mental health waiting room they either are suffering from mental health issues or know someone that is so would be understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hello goodbye

Just put a letter to my doctor in the post. So stressed about it. Can't believe I did it. I know it's nothing but it's the biggest step I've ever taken. Step one, hopefully of many.

Congrats. It's definitely not nothing! The first steps are the hardest. It gets easier and well done on taking the first step.
    It was the scariest and most confusing for me at the start. After a few sessions with a therapist I started to loosen up. And trust me the pain of this process you're doing is worth it to when you will get your first sense of relief. Once that happens you'll know it was worth the stress you're feeling now. It just gets easier and you get so much stronger after that

X

Yes! I get fairly pissed off sometimes. It can be good energy to make ya do something about it though!
    I dunno, but in my view it's best not to listen to other people telling you whats normal. Who's to say they have it right?!

Maybe you've changed?. So what's normal before wouldn't be for you now.
    Anyway I'd listen to yourself and go by what you value
    Do u want to be "a successful, happy worker"?
    And what does this mean?

• Advertisement

Hey.
    I'm doing CBT now and finding it really helpful and I'm way less anxious

Heres a link to social anxiety Irelands website and where they outline CBT.

They explain it better than I can!

http://www.socialanxietyireland.com/treatments/cognitive-behavioural-therapy/

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Yes! I do. Just about to graduate with an almost guaranteed [pending dissertation result] first class honours masters in Marketing; also have a first class honours deree in Business Management and graduated top of my class. I know that I have so much to give and am so committed and determined...but I completely lack confidence and am utterly riddled with self doubt. Whenever people ask me 'So what are you going to do now that you're finished college?' I feel sick. I hate having to think about looking for a proper job and I'm so terrified that I'll never be able to sell myself, even though I should know all about that at this stage from what I've learnt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I hate how panic fuels the blues and that in turn fuels the panic.

thought I'd post a good news story. went for group activity today, and happy to say my anxiety wasn't ruling me. am trying out medication for first time ever, so this is new to me. but because it is a normal level of anxiety I have tendency to ignore it. there was a bit of anxiety when the chit chat started, but i didn't get clingy, which is one of the things i wouldn't have liked about myself in the past. i don't want to be the person who has to be 'minded' by the nice person in the group, because i have social issues. feel this is definitely progress. plus doing the course on my own, sans dragged-along-friend, so that is good too.

does anyone know (cos I'm kind of expecting it) that medications wear off? some say yes, some say no. i'm sure i'd get a definitive answer from my doctor, but haven't thought of asking it yet.

Anyone else having problems just to get going? My mind is feeling totally clouded and I can barely concentrate.

Anyone else having problems just to get going? My mind is feeling totally clouded and I can barely concentrate.

Yeah, this has been happening to me for the last month!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

Hi guys. Just wondering are you able to visit a different GP or do you have to use the one on your medical card?
    yes you can visit any GP you like but if not on med card you will be a private patient and will have to pay

thought I'd post a good news story. went for group activity today, and happy to say my anxiety wasn't ruling me. am trying out medication for first time ever, so this is new to me. but because it is a normal level of anxiety I have tendency to ignore it. there was a bit of anxiety when the chit chat started, but i didn't get clingy, which is one of the things i wouldn't have liked about myself in the past. i don't want to be the person who has to be 'minded' by the nice person in the group, because i have social issues. feel this is definitely progress. plus doing the course on my own, sans dragged-along-friend, so that is good too.

How did you find out about the course? I'd be intersted in doing something like that...although the inevitable worry takes over: 'What if someone I know to see is there??' :rolleyes:

Yeah, this has been happening to me for the last month!

Have you found out any way to get past it?

Have you found out any way to get past it?

Well for me it's been my dissertation and a complete inability to actually formulate what it is I want to do and start writing; it feels like everyone else has already left the starting line and I'm still sitting there like '....what am I doing? why can't I go anywhere?!'

My brother has helped me out a lot though because he knows what I'm going through - talking to people who understand really helps me to rationalise my anxieties. I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with my progress, but that's because I'm looking at this as if it's a flippin PhD and I'm a perfectionist.

• Advertisement

Well for me it's been my dissertation and a complete inability to actually formulate what it is I want to do and start writing; it feels like everyone else has already left the starting line and I'm still sitting there like '....what am I doing? why can't I go anywhere?!'

My brother has helped me out a lot though because he knows what I'm going through - talking to people who understand really helps me to rationalise my anxieties. I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with my progress, but that's because I'm looking at this as if it's a flippin PhD and I'm a perfectionist.

I've an assignment deadline coming up and I'm starting to panic a bit now over my concentration. It's also making me increasingly down over it. Just can't win it seems.

Good luck with your PhD by the way. What area is it in? (Sorry if too nosy)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr.Energetic

Plumeria wrote: »
    You're not addressing me but.... I dream about isolation a lot. I have a calendar above my desk with pictures of lighthouses and I love to imagine living in one of them.

If there was a way for me to be self-sufficient and isolated, I can't imagine ever feeling very anxious. I'd have anxiety if something went wrong with my food source etc, but that sort of anxiety is different -- it involves finding logical solutions to external problems, not changing the nature of myself, which is what seems to be required of me if I'm going to be happy in normal society.

I wish I could live at a time when there were lighthouse keepers.... but with the modern tweak of allowing for female ones *sigh*

i realise this post is old and you probably already have this info but, on the arranmor island off the west coast of donegal you can rent a light house for a holiday. the lighthouse is automatic so its not like you would be running the light. i found this out in april this year when i was up there. beautiful island only about 200 people. heres the link:

http://www.donegalislands.com/arranmore/accommodation.php

I've an assignment deadline coming up and I'm starting to panic a bit now over my concentration. It's also making me increasingly down over it. Just can't win it seems.

Good luck with your PhD by the way. What area is it in? (Sorry if too nosy)

Aha, sorry I meant that I'm acting as if it is a PhD but it's just a Master's dissertation. It's in Marketing :)

What's your assignment on? How much time do you have to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

The good news. Am the least anxious I've been in years. Have read loads of books on GAD lately and finally starting to work stuff out for myself. I'm still waiting on my first CBT appointment, but have noticed that I'm able to change my response to things on my own, which is amazing. Stuff I would have freaked out over 6 months ago now merits a shrug of the shoulders. I'm enjoying my life SO much more because I just appreciate the good stuff and have largely stopped worrying and getting angry all the time.

The bad news is I'm now feeling bitter and angry (ironic I know) that I couldn't get this sorted sooner. I was too ill for a long time to notice how bad I was and I wish that someone had realised and suggested counselling or treatment. My parents just brushed it off over and over (generational thing I guess) and told me I was grand and my friends just thought I was grumpy. I'm 28 now and feel so angry that I basically wasted my twenties feeling like crap all the time. I did loads, but I never felt truly happy because I couldn't relax for a second. College was pretty rubbish because the social anxiety stopped me joining in anything, I've had problems in jobs because I couldn't cope with the social aspect/stress. Travel abroad was ruined by my worrying over every last thing. I've technically had a great time for the last 8 years, but haven't really enjoyed any of it really, because of the constant anxiety.

Oh well. Better late than never, I suppose.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    The good news. Am the least anxious I've been in years. Have read loads of books on GAD lately and finally starting to work stuff out for myself. I'm still waiting on my first CBT appointment, but have noticed that I'm able to change my response to things on my own, which is amazing. Stuff I would have freaked out over 6 months ago now merits a shrug of the shoulders. I'm enjoying my life SO much more because I just appreciate the good stuff and have largely stopped worrying and getting angry all the time.

The bad news is I'm now feeling bitter and angry (ironic I know) that I couldn't get this sorted sooner. I was too ill for a long time to notice how bad I was and I wish that someone had realised and suggested counselling or treatment. My parents just brushed it off over and over (generational thing I guess) and told me I was grand and my friends just thought I was grumpy. I'm 28 now and feel so angry that I basically wasted my twenties feeling like crap all the time. I did loads, but I never felt truly happy because I couldn't relax for a second. College was pretty rubbish because the social anxiety stopped me joining in anything, I've had problems in jobs because I couldn't cope with the social aspect/stress. Travel abroad was ruined by my worrying over every last thing. I've technically had a great time for the last 8 years, but haven't really enjoyed any of it really, because of the constant anxiety.

Oh well. Better late than never, I suppose.

I read this an actually felt like I could have written it about me!.(28 too?) And I finally, properly, started cbt and focusing on living without constant anxiety issues

I found myself getting angry a month or so after starting, grieving for what I lost. So so angry at myself for waiting so many years to do this and live! And angry at others...

Though I think part of the process is accepting and realizing you can help yourself and dont need anyone. It's very empowering to do it by myself

Anyway it passed. Definitely helpful I had a therapist to talk it through with.

I feel great now.

Still majority anxious, but I'm feeling so positive as I know how much progress I made so far,and I now know it's just a matter of time

I don't feel I've missed out, when I'm happy now I feel content wherever I am, whatever I'm doing

My appreciation of life is growing enormously. I think it's due to being anxious for so long. Now when my mind is free and I look around I see beautiful things everywhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Have to meet someone for the first time today. Terrified.

How did you find out about the course? I'd be intersted in doing something like that...although the inevitable worry takes over: 'What if someone I know to see is there??' :rolleyes:

Hiya,

It's actually a sports-related course that I started. If u r looking for anxiety group, i've signed up for the social anxiety ireland CBT group in the Mater, but they have a waiting list of 12 months or so...!

M

My consultant has repeatedly offered me a place in a relaxation course consisting of yoga and meditation. I'm just far too busy with college for it at the moment - it sounds great though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Have to meet someone for the first time today. Terrified.
    Hope it went okay Phi.

Have taken a nose dive :(

• Advertisement

Brown3ulie wrote: »
    I can't say that I honestly know what it's like to be happy for longer than a few weeks.01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg

Sorry to know you feel that. There is hope
    I haven't felt happy longer than a few weeks But I have been feeling happier and free from most anxieties for longer each time. The longest I've lasted since therapy is two weeks.

There's a big difference to how I think now though
    Before I used to feel like crap whenever anything I perceived as negative happen and would be knocked back by the smallest things and my world would be in turmoil.
    This still can happen to me, but it takes a major thing to knock me down now.
    And I know soon I'll reach 3 weeks of happiness soonthen four!.

I hope you can too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement