Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Editor of the Irish Catholic Newspaper tells Catholic Church to apologize

• 20-03-2008 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

The Catholic Church in Ireland has been accused of scandalously abusing power over many decades by the editor of The Irish Catholic newspaper, who says the Church should apologise to and seek forgiveness from people it has hurt. Its about time the Catholic Church humbled itself made a formal apology. http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0320/church.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I fully agree that the Church needs to make a humble apology for years of abuse of power. Apart from the paedophile scandals, many have been turned off religion by excessive moralism and emphasis on sin and damnation. I spoke to one uncle of mine who remembers having nightmares having been told that they would go to hell for certain sins. Now he has nothing to do with the Church.

Unfortunately now the pendulum has swung too far the other way and there is very little mention of sin, hell and damnation these days. Sin still needs to be taken seriously but in a far more compassionate and understanding way. The Church, in order to be taken seriously, needs to get its own house fully in order before preaching against sin. And I think this is now happening under the watchful eye of Pope Benedict.

God bless,
    Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

wait for the article next week that absolves the church of all blame, its the good ol bait and switch from the irish catholic, it was the same with the connell documents thing they first criticsed him then came out all guns blazing defending him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I think there is a genuine change of attitude, and a refreshing humility, in many sections of the Catholic Church.

Last night (Good Friday) and this morning I participated in a Congolese Pentecostal funeral. Their custom is to have a 'Homegoing Service' that lasts all night long - then to proceed to the cemetery for burial. The local Catholic priest allowed us to have this event in his church. It was amazing to see about 300 French-speaking Africans crammed into a Catholic Church from 10pm to 10am - singing evangelical songs interspersed with prayers and preaching. The priest even attended part of the service, welcomed us all, and prayed with the Congolese Pentecostals - carefully avoiding any mention of doctrinal differences or any prayers to the saints or to Mary that he knew would not be consistent with the beliefs of the mourners.

Next morning we walked through Balbriggan to the cemetery, where many passersby stopped to observe the strangest funeral they will probably ever see. The pall bearers actually did a five minute dance with the coffin while the mourners clapped their hands and sang African songs in French!

It struck me that such cooperation would never have occurred 10 years ago. Indeed, back then the local priests used to preach against me as a dangerous cult leader. Now, don't get me wrong, myself and the priest are well aware of our doctrinal differences. But this priest (and not a young man, BTW) was prepared to facilitate our service and to treat us as fellow Christians.

Advertisement