Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New chain replaced and fitted

• 20-08-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭

So some prick stole my hack bike from the train station (snapped a chain and u lock). Its an old banger of a mountain bike. I found it thrown into the ditch about a mile away from my house with the chain snapped on the ground. I was wondering how much would it be for a basic chain to be supplied and fitted.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

billyhead wrote: »
    So some prick stole my hack bike from the train station (snapped a chain and u lock). Its an old banger of a mountain bike. I found it thrown into the ditch about a mile away from my house with the chain snapped on the ground. I was wondering how much would it be for a basic chain to be supplied and fitted.

8 speed chain will cost about €10 on chain reaction.

Where are you in the country?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭billyhead

Brian? wrote: »
    8 speed chain will cost about €10 on chain reaction.

Where are you in the country?

Thanks Brian for the reply. I am living in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

If you fit it yourself, you'll need a chainbreaker for about a tenner.

SRAM chains usually (not always) come with a link to join the two ends. Otherwise its a fiver for a pack of two.

It's a nice job to do yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead - I have a chainbreaker and I'm not far from you if you need to borrow one. Replacing a chain is a relatively simple job to do. Hold on to the old chain to measure required length.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks guys for the advice. I got the chain replaced and fitted and I am back on the road with it.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement