Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Harold Agnew carrying the plutonium core of the Nagasaki Fat Man bomb, 1945

Harold+Agnew+carrying+the+plutonium+core+of+the+Nagasaki+Fat+Man+bomb,+1945.jpg

This was taken on Tinian Island in 1945. Agnew was a physicist with the Manhattan Project and an observer on the Hiroshima mission. He flew in a plane behind the Enola Gay. His smile sort of disconnects the viewer from the reality of the situation. That box is the direct cause of the deaths of approximately 70,000 people. That little box will change the course of history, and he’s holding it like it’s his lunch. The oddest thing here is that a whole group of the scientists had photos of themselves posing with the plutonium. They were proud of their invention, and the fact that they were making history. For a whole host of reasons they had no second thoughts about what they were planning to do.

The plutonium core in Fat Man weighed 6.2 kg or about 14 lb, The pit is 9 cm (4 inches) across. And only about one fifth of it, a bit over 1 kg (2 pounds) undergoes a fission reaction. And only a gram (1/30th of an ounce) of that gets converted into explosive energy equal to 21,000 tons of TNT.

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/harold-agnew-carrying-plutonium-core-nagasaki-fat-man-bomb-1945/#ifrndnloc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

There was a documentary on BBC4 last night called 'Last Days in Vietnam'. An utterly engrossing and tension filled look at the US withdrawal from Vietnam filled with amazing and heart breaking testimony from survivors and it included a load of footage I'd never seen before.

One man had the story of how his father saved his family. He was a South Vietnamese helicopter pilot and it became apparent the US were leaving. Himself and a colleague chose the best two Chinooks left and he flew his to a field near his home. He'd told his wife that if she heard choppers coming, to bolt to the field with the children. So he landed, they got on and he made a dash for the US fleet offshore. With little fuel left he came upon a small destroyer (USS Kirk) with a chopper pad. Whilst smaller choppers had landed on it the crew desperately waved the massive Chinook away with the Captain of the ship fearing it would kill everyone on board.

So they dropped, DROPPED, the baby out of the helicopter into the arms of sailors, his wife and kids jumped after that.

1411442045045_wps_63_image010_png.jpg

Then he brought the massive helicopter away from the ship and hovered just over the water with the chopper's wheels literally in the sea.

1411442050208_wps_64_Grabs_from_upcoming_ABC_d.jpg

The crew wondered what he was doing - it turns out he was flying a massive helicopter at the same time as getting out of his flight suit (something the US naval guys said that to this day they genuinely didn't understand how he could have done it). Then he tilted the massive helicopter to the right and stepped out the left door. The helicopter blades hit the water and caused a massive amount of debris and shrapnel.

1411442563014_wps_74_image013_png.jpg

And he survived. His young son (at the time) was on the documentary (as an adult obviously) talking about it and it was just really moving. You couldn't have made it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Has been posted before. But for the day that is in it here it is again.
    27 years ago tomorrow. Photo was taken the day after the crackdown.

00-0605b-89-Tank-Man-02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Clay/Liston Fight 2, Round 1. Clay becoming the world Heavyweight Champion 25/5/65.

450px-Ali-Liston_II.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Garzard

Not a well known few photos I'd say, but still found them breathtaking. Came across them while reading up on the Bismarck. Photos of shell splashes and the battleship burning on the horizon while taking a relentless battering from the HMS Rodney and King George V. Sank soon after with 2200 of the crew killed. [27th May 1941]. Much of it was revenge for three days previously when Bismarck scored a chance hit on HMS Hood's magazines - resulting in the obliteration of the ship with just 3 survivors of the 1431 crew. Found these two photos very depressing considering the helplessness of the lone ship surrounded by a huge opposing fleet, and with the steering system rendered useless the previous night from a torpedo hit, all they could do was wait for this.

388694.jpg

388695.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yamato_battleship_explosion.jpg

Yamato sank rapidly, 280 of 2,778 crew were rescued.

And it's not even in the 20 worst losses of life aboard ship during WII
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_maritime_disasters_in_World_War_II

Her sister ship Musashi was also sunk by air attack a year earlier , 1,023 of her 2,399-man crew were lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

Not sure how many people have seen this photo before, it's on a file of WW2 photos doing the rounds, but I saw it years ago and it always struck me, it's taken in Roncey, Normandy August 7th 1944 and shows a French refugee family.

colorized-wwii-refugees-12.jpg

Three things always got me about it: Firstly is the determination on the face of the man, we've no idea what he's been through, but the town that I suppose he's from is in ruins and he seems to be carrying every belonging that they've got left. Photographers wouldn't be that common but he's still totally oblivious to the cameraman. I presume the woman behind is his mother, so where is the mother of the girl?

That's the second thing that gets me, it's the girl; the innocence on her face, sitting in her play pram but even after the catastrophe that they've been through they got time and material to put up a shade for her, note that the rope is made up of pieces of old rope, so things were in short supply.

The third thing is that he's heading north, but where to. The town was liberated on July 22nd, photo is dated August 7th. There was terrible fighting on the Cotentin Peninsula, most of it was badly ravaged, so where were they off to? Maybe they originally came from that area and are going to the homeplace where there was probably some security and food, maybe the wife is a few steps ahead and out of shot and going with them?

I suppose we'll never know, but this is what the same place looks like today.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@48.9906777,-1.3342293,3a,75y,152.33h,92.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soRq49yL4eh3_2iXDhJyLQA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And if you zoom back a bit you see this..kids playing on bikes and another family. Times, thankfully change.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@48.9908764,-1.3345664,3a,75y,150.22h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9v2jfHmUdIGGGHHIRFI5aQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RAF Squadron Leader Brian Lane 1940 aged 23

Life expectancy flying was six weeks with a 1 in 3 chance of being killed on daily bombing runs

you can see the nightmare of these odds on his face

He died in 1942

battle-of-britain1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Red Kev wrote: »
    Not sure how many people have seen this photo before, it's on a file of WW2 photos doing the rounds, but I saw it years ago and it always struck me, it's taken in Roncey, Normandy August 7th 1944 and shows a French refugee family.

Great post and picture.

• Advertisement

Dated April 1936, you see the buildings, the German soldier, the Swastika on the coffin, the Nazi salutes...it's Germany, possibly Berlin judging by the buildings.

Except on the left of the photo there's a soldier with a bearskin, and then you find out it's The Mall, right in front of Buckingham Palace. It's the funeral of Leopold von Hoesch, the then German anbassador to London an opponent and critic of Hitler. he was replaced by Von Ribbentrop

article-1224976-0709FCF0000005DC-145_634x497.jpg

the-funeral-of-leopold-von-hoesch-1936-cpkrpb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Not really pictures but drawings of people's experiences in the Gulag
    Some of it is NSFW
    http://www.cvltnation.com/brutal-drawings-from-the-gulag/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

13754463_10153220592068078_1271192717957170333_n.jpg?oh=5442d40735ad96d61c41de5e5c4edc9c&oe=58195EBD&__gda__=1478557355_7d29260afb0074e54803cfc01c705105

What a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

909778.grid-6x2.jpg

One of the most abiding images of the last 50 years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Maybe not world shaking, but striking enough.

The story first:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/09/health/heroin-effects-police-photo-trnd/index.html

And the images separately:

http://imgur.com/gallery/gztAI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

TIMES 100 Most Influential Images of All Time

http://100photos.time.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

President elect Donald Trump.

gty-election-trump-handsout-ps-161108_mn_4x3_992.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Red Kev wrote: »
    Dated April 1936, you see the buildings, the German soldier, the Swastika on the coffin, the Nazi salutes...it's Germany, possibly Berlin judging by the buildings.

Except on the left of the photo there's a soldier with a bearskin, and then you find out it's The Mall, right in front of Buckingham Palace. It's the funeral of Leopold von Hoesch, the then German anbassador to London an opponent and critic of Hitler. he was replaced by Von Ribbentrop

article-1224976-0709FCF0000005DC-145_634x497.jpg

the-funeral-of-leopold-von-hoesch-1936-cpkrpb.jpg

It's easy to forget that the Nazi flag was also the national flag for a few years before the war. Here it is flying in Königinstadt - Queenstown/Cobh, Co Cork that is... You can see a German merchant on the right.
    tumblr_inline_mopdglhmUo1qz4rgp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

don_mccullin_1000_yard_stare.jpg

Probably posted before in this thread, but thought I'd post it. The other evening I watched the documentary McCullin on Netflix, about the man who took this photo in Vietnam. For fans of this thread, it's a must watch.

He said that he took 5 photos of the solider, rewinding the camera film between each shot. In that whole time, the soldier didn't speak, didn't move, didn't blink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Years later the soldier had a huge hit with Mysterious Girl and then he married Jordan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Years later the soldier had a huge hit with Mysterious Girl and then he married Jordan

*snort* :D
    That's exactly what I thought.. But I was afraid to say it out loud :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe not shaking the world, but shaking the Philippines - a series of photos of the aftermath of the death of Michael Siaron, a drug addict who was extrajudicially killed under Duterte's war on drugs.

His girlfriend has crossed the police cordon to hold him.

Pasay-City-killing-Abs-CBN.jpg

3179.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&

1470545766317.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Last photo of Michael Collins before his assassination, taken on the morning of August 22nd 1922.

article-2242724-1654EB40000005DC-454_634x355.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Watched on by Hitler :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Last photo of Michael Collins before his assassination, taken on the morning of August 22nd 1922.

article-2242724-1654EB40000005DC-454_634x355.jpg

The place looks very different now!

http://www.whatwasthere.com/browse.aspx#!/ll/51.7452686227072,-8.7338018624223/id/84772/info/sv/zoom/14/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not sure if this quite fits here but it's an amazing image. Sure to win a load of photography awards. Looks like something out of a Kubrick film

97T3DJs.jpg

Context - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/19/russian-ambassador-to-turkey-wounded-in-ankara-shooting-attack

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

With the aim of posting comments after the pics, the person who hung those frames squint will be kicking themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭pavb2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Advertisement