Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call It

• 11-06-2008 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

I'm voting no but fully expect the yes vote to win. I think around 55%-45%.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I expect that it will be close but predict a win for the No side.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

A bit closer

54% yes , 46% no

Turnout of just over 50%.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"No" by about 4%.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd say no by about 15%. I don't want that result, but I have a strong feeling that the large amount of people voting no because they don't understand, will win it for the no's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I think it's too close to call. The main people that will affect the outcome are those voting no because they don't understand. I would say these voters are soft no voters and are unlikely to bother turning out if it's no convienient or if the weather is poor. The yes side are more motivated than ever because this time they really do fear the treaty not passing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

No by 8-12%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'de say No will win it by about 5-10 %. It's just too nice and easy to vote No.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hopefully it will be a yes vote. Lets hope its pissing rain to keep the negative no people who do not know what they are voting on at home in front of the TV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

very very close Id say, 51% no, 49% yes, if its sunny! If its raining , probably about 52% yes, 48% no, cmon the rain!!!!!

THe one big thing the yes voters have going for them is that theyll be alot more motivated to go out and vote than many no voters will. I reckon about 30% of the no voters in the polls were people that didnt know or care about it and will probably be less inclined to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Saruman wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be a yes vote. Lets hope its pissing rain to keep the negative no people who do not know what they are voting on at home in front of the TV :D

A no win hopefully so, so that when i get back from voting i can sit out and soke up some rays :D Though realistically I don't trust my fellow country folk anymore so probably a yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Saruman wrote: »

According to Met Eireann:

A bright day on Thursday, with sunny spells and just a few showers. Highest temperatures of 14 C to 18 C, with a moderate to fresh northerly breeze.

Roll on the negative no people.:pac:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I'd say it'll be No by 2-5% regardless of weather. I expect to be very disappointed tomorrow. :(

I have to say I've got good confidence in a No vote, and should it be realised, I cannot wait to see the reaction from those f*ckers who were threatening us even up until yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As I didn't sort my vote in time I won't be voting. I am expecting the Yes vote to win by a small margin.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Though realistically I don't trust my fellow country folk anymore so probably a yes.

I lost my trust in the voters in this country at the last general election tbh.

Rb wrote: »
    I have to say I've got good confidence in a No vote, and should it be realised, I cannot wait to see the reaction from those f*ckers who were threatening us even up until yesterday.
    Ive heard more threats from the no campaign at this stage tbh

zig wrote: »
    Ive heard more threats from the no campaign at this stage tbh
    Random Joe campaigners < The President of Europe, heads of France and Germany in terms of the weight their threats hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

IRLConor wrote: »
    I'd say it'll be No by 2-5% regardless of weather. I expect to be very disappointed tomorrow. :(

Same as, 2-5% for No. The Yes side left it too late to get in the game. If it doesn't pass, then they (FF/FG/Lab) have gotten no more than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It will be extraordinarily close with a very high turnout I think. I'd like to think the Yes side will win by a whisker. I get the impression a lot of No voters may still be somewhat doubtful whereas a lot of Yes voters seem to be more convinced of their cause. Just my opinion though, it could easily go either way.

I also predict a few dozen spoiled votes for Atari Jaguar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

This one to go to the judges I'd say, difficult to call either way. I hope Yes. I had a look at the website today and it isn't nearly as scary as it's made out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

No by 53-47, turnout 38%.

Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I also predict a few dozen spoiled votes for Atari Jaguar

that would be awesome.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    that would be awesome.
    Agreed. Would love to see something mentioned in the news about people voting Atari Jaguar.

Unfortunately I won't be doing so myself though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

I am voting yes tomorrow but I truly believe the no side will win the day.

The reason I think this is because there are oceans of begrudging whingers out there with a sense of entitlement and who baulk at the prospect of relinquishing a little piece of power to accomodate the many new people coming to the EU table.

Rhonda9000 wrote: »

The reason I think this is because there are oceans of begrudging whingers out there with a sense of entitlement and who baulk at the prospect of relinquishing a little piece of power to accomodate the many new people coming to the EU table.
    well said, couldnt have put it even close to that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hermy wrote: »
    According to Met Eireann:

A bright day on Thursday, with sunny spells and just a few showers. Highest temperatures of 14 C to 18 C, with a moderate to fresh northerly breeze.

Roll on the negative no people.:pac:
    I knew I shouldn't of stopped working on that weather machine :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Rhonda9000 wrote: »
    I am voting yes tomorrow but I truly believe the no side will win the day.

I dont think so on either count.

On your second point:

We were one of the few countries
    to accomodate the many new people coming to the EU table
    from date of entry.

All you need to look at is our schools/hospitals/building sites/hospitality sector etc to see the impact they are having.

You also just look at the millions of euros paid out in Child benefit to non-resident children of resident parents.

You then look at the way Bernard McNamara has abandoned the people in the 5 social housing contracts because the profit margins were not enough.

You then look at Niall Mellon getting 5 mill euro from Bertie et al to build houses in SA.
    Mellon then contributes 25k to FF.

You then look at the patronizing attitudes of Biffo et al: we know and the rest of the political elite know best.

You then look at the state of the national schools, particularly in places like Ballymun and the way the new Mi(ni)ster Ed has told them the spending is over.

In conclusion, I dont thing the no vote has a lot to do with the new constitution but more to do with 'unknown unknowns' in the face of a pretty bleak economic climate

In closing could not resist this::) Keep well. ps yes to win by the divorce ref margin: see below

Well since she put me down Ive been out doin in my head
    Come in late at night and in the mornin I just lay in bed

Well, rhonda you look so fine (look so fine)
    And I know it wouldnt take much time
    For you to help me rhonda
    Help me get her out of my heart

.................Yes Votes...No Votes.....Total Valid Poll....% Yes....% No...................Margin
    National......818,837.......809,739.....1,628,576...........50.28%....49.72%..............9,098

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

It's hard to say, last week I would've predicted a No win, but now I'm not so sure... I think there'll be less than 10% in the difference either way, possibly with a 55% turnout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm voting yes, but I have that same feeling I had before the last US presidential election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

ircoha wrote: »
    On your second point:

We were one of the few countries [to accomodate new Europeans] from date of entry.

All you need to look at is our schools/hospitals/building sites/hospitality sector etc to see the impact they are having.

You also just look at the millions of euros paid out in Child benefit to non-resident children of resident parents.

The government might be happy to make provision in the welfare systems and so on, but I assure you there are droves of unfortunately elligible voters that say things within their big gangs like "they're taking all our jobs", "those people are getting cars and houses from the Health Board" and -my favourite- "it's a disgrace". They'll be out tomorrow doing their bit :D

P.S. They liked "the divorce" better because "[they] can get de maintenance now as well as de social" ... in lay mans terms it meant getting a new right (or feckless freedom as far as the highly strung Catholic adversaries were concerned) as opposed to taking one away.

Advertisement