Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

yer man standing in for Keane there just says "if you dont throw some money in the bucket for the special olympics, shame on you"....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Just to tell all his "fans" here that Jerry made his first "appearance" on radio Kerry this morning.

Wasn't too bad - IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Did newstalk fly ken early over for the Chelsea game on Sun..?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Coleman was pushing his views too hard with that guy on last night talking about making Irish optional at LC. Not very professional at all, he was too whiny. Made me want to punch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

hacx wrote: »
    Coleman was pushing his views too hard with that guy on last night talking about making Irish optional at LC. Not very professional at all, he was too whiny. Made me want to punch him.

And is not At Large tonight....o'donovan standing in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dub13 wrote: »
    Did newstalk fly ken early over for the Chelsea game on Sun..?

Sounded like it alright.

Why do Newstalk insist on doing 'outside broadcasts' from such places as pubs..?I turned on Off the ball tonight so I could catch up on the weekend sport and it was from a pub,I turned it off immediately I don't want to be listening to a humming noise from the crowed in the background.

Why do they think we the listener would want this..?Its very unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Tuned into Newstalk for a bit yesterday during ad breaks elsewhere and they were in a pub for a while and then during the Leinter match they had the telly on with crowd noise and 2 lads talking about the match for a bit, it's all very unprofessional and unnessary. Do they think people will tune into them instead of RTE and the great commentator Michael Corcaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

It's getting harder to listen to George Hook slobber and snort his way through 2 and a half hours.

And does he expect to be taken seriously when, in the middle of his own show, they run the ad where he tries to flog the Sky+ box?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

It's getting harder to listen to George Hook slobber and snort his way through 2 and a half hours.

And does he expect to be taken seriously when, in the middle of his own show, they run the ad where he tries to flog the Sky+ box?

+1

I don't mind admitting that I'd be in GH's age cohort and presumably Newstalks's research shows that his audience likes his personalised rants, but he is getting tiresome. We all know the country is down the pan and we all know why, but GH is in a position to do summat about it, in the sense that he can actually follow up on some of the stuff he rants about, but, like Kenny and the others he doesn't, so the pols and the bankers etc., know it will blow over... (no pun intended....)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

Why do Newstalk insist on doing 'outside broadcasts' from such places as pubs..?I turned on Off the ball tonight so I could catch up on the weekend sport and it was from a pub,I turned it off immediately I don't want to be listening to a humming noise from the crowed in the background.

Why do they think we the listener would want this..?Its very unprofessional.

its not unprofessional atal, OFB has a big following and they bring it out to the people now and then. they have done it a good few times and have special guests normally in the region there in. something different the odd time.

Shane10 wrote: »
    its not unprofessional atal, OFB has a big following and they bring it out to the people now and then. they have done it a good few times and have special guests normally in the region there in. something different the odd time.

I am well aware OFB has a big following sure I have been listening in since the start,it still does not stop me turning off the min I find out they are doing a outside broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hook is a blustering lightweight. All hot air and misguided rants. Himself and Mary Wilson in the same slot across two of the main stations, depressing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Aidric wrote: »
    Hook is a blustering lightweight. All hot air and misguided rants. Himself and Mary Wilson in the same slot across two of the main stations, depressing stuff.

Hook was actively in denial for years there was anything wrong with house prices or the banks. Then in 2009 he jumps on the 'we are sooo screwed bandwagon'. He has no credibility on economic matters anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

He lost 3,000 listeners

He threw the toys out of the pram yesterday when a texter accused him of being part of the "middle class privileged elite" or something along those lines. A blast of self-righteous indignation duly followed.

I seem to remember him complaining when RTE lost the rights to cover the Heineken Cup live and giving out about Sky. And now he's taking Murdoch's shilling. Good to see his principles don't get in the way of him making a few extra quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Hook was actively in denial for years there was anything wrong with house prices or the banks. Then in 2009 he jumps on the 'we are sooo screwed bandwagon'. He has no credibility on economic matters anyway.

I recall George telling a texter a couple of years ago to not wait around to buy a house because the prices will continue to rise! Great advice eh...?

I remember that edition of the KC show and, at the time, I was taken aback at the treatment of Patricia Casey.

Yet another example of the lack of professionalism at NT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does this in any way help to explain why Colemans show is now pre-recorded?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Claire Byrne, Carol Coleman, Marc Coleman .. Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

The number of ads is unbelievable. I've often switched channels during an ad break on Newstalk to return 3/4 minutes later and the break is still on.
    My personal favourite was inviting texts throughout the show, telling us they would read some out after the break, taking a break, reading out one text (nothing else) and then taking another break!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes they do that on Eamonn Keane's lunchtime show a lot. Tis a joke.

honeybear wrote: »
    The number of ads is unbelievable. I've often switched channels during an ad break on Newstalk to return 3/4 minutes later and the break is still on.
    My personal favourite was inviting texts throughout the show, telling us they would read some out after the break, taking a break, reading out one text (nothing else) and then taking another break!

But those texts are important to them and they read them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nicht Besonders

edit: Ah, there's already thread on Keane leaving the station

Maybe Eamonn Keane has left to hook up with Gerry O'Sullivan at Radio Kerry?

A sort of Kerry dream team!biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Jaysus, Michael Dee has just spent the last 15 minutes laying into Michael Graham called him a wanker who's stirring up fear. :D

Jaysus, Michael Dee has just spent the last 15 minutes laying into Michael Graham called him a wanker who's stirring up fear. :D

I had that on,it was good radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Good man Michael d. Was he spitting fire?? Would loved to have heard that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Jaysus twas savage altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement