Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A message from the yes camp:

• 12-06-2008 6:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Dear Friends,

As some of you may know I have been deeply involved in the Yes to Lisbon campaign for the Irish Alliance for Europe. I am a passionate European because I simply believe that our country would not be what it is today without our involvement and I believe that it is absolutely essential to Ireland and its peoples future.

Our involvement is not without historical context. I must say I find it offensive that the memory of the founders of our nation have been invoked in such a untrue and disrespectful manner in this campaign. Let us not forget the man who lodged our application to join the EEC was himself at the age of 16 in the GPO on that Easter morning when they pledged their lives and the lives of their "comrades-in-arms to the cause of Ireland's freedom, of its welfare, and of its exaltation among the nations".

On the 18th of Jan 1962 that same man, Sean Lemass said "Ireland belongs to Europe by history, tradition and sentiment no less than by geography. Our destiny is bound up with that of Europe".

The Lisbon Treaty is about the destiny of future generations, as previous treaties have been about the challenges of past generations.

We the Irish People face a choice.

A choice between moving forward and staying where we are.
    A choice between a more democratic, transparent and accountable union and one which will only move further and further away from the people in the years ahead.
    A choice between a Europe able to deliver more for all of us and one which will continue to fail to address the real issues of peoples lives.

This Treaty is about possibilities.

The possibility to fight climate change and secure our energy future.
    The possibility to fight the trafficking of woman and children, the drug trade and cross boarder crime.
    The possibility to secure our prosperity and secure a better environment for job creation and the Irish economy.

These choices and possibilities are about where we want to be on Friday morning. Tomorrow is a step on the path of our history, one which will be looked back upon and judged. In truth I believe this treaty is about where we want to be as a nation in 10 years time and what kind of Ireland and Europe we want our children to be raised in.

Please use your vote tomorrow Thursday and please vote YES

If you are unsure about how you will vote tomorrow our website is www.yestolisbon.ie and for a bit of a laugh http://yestolisbon.ie/index.php/component/content/article/115?ed=1
    If you are unsure as to whether you are registered www.checktheregister.ie

Your Friend
    Brendan

PS. Please forward this mail on if you think it will get them out to vote.

Brendan Kiely
    Director

Irish Alliance for Europe
    17 Earlsfort Tce.
    Dublin 2

Received this email today, voting yes due to confidence in the knowledge that this treaty is for the benefit of the EU as a whole...

Advertisement