Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hoax Photoshoot

• 09-08-2010 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

No, it was a real photoshoot. The band are just called hoax. Eh? Genius that - And now that I've hooked you in, enjoy these images, you beautiful person, you.

Oh and lemme know what you think, too!

4873833174_5fe0ee5e49_z.jpg

4873835586_5dfab47e0d_z.jpg

4873203897_6c1b084915_z.jpg

4873794910_7718eef4ca_z.jpg

4873820736_a6b01a983d_z.jpg

All the lighting info etc, is over on the blog

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

100 views and not one comment.
    Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

That're... just not very exciting. Or different. They're just four lads down at Grand Canal Dock with awkward poses and an uneasy feel about a camera and some strobes pointing their direction, trying to remember how their favorite band posed.

There needs to be a bit of a stronger concept than 'stand o'er there'. I don't think the photos do anything for the band or your own skills as a photographer, sorry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

mehfesto wrote: »
    100 views and not one comment.
    Fail.

We're all over on your blog. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I like number 3, I am thinking they are just photos when looking at them though, just photos of lads whereas when photographing a band you need to sell the band, sell their mood, this is showing me 4 fellas hanging around. Number 3 is the best of the bunch as it stands out, its a bit bright for my liking for a band shots but its telling me maybe they are letting time fly by, had they brooding (if thats the word) faces on them then it would be spot on for me but the fact that there are smiles and the lad on the right looks like hes about to make gesture it just doesnt do it completely for me.

I know this may sound a little harsh but I think you are looking for constructive critiscm and I hope it helps. I think maybe listen to the music, get a feel for what they are about, figure out how the music makes you feel and then try get that feeling into an image!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

^
    ^
    Pretty much as the man said.....

No.3 isn't bad and No.5 is just about starting to capture something.
    The others, IMHO, just don't do it. The light is possibly too strong or badly angled but there just doesn't seem to be any 'mood' to the shots.
    Also, there are 4/5 poles there but you appear to only have used one. Even having the guys sticking their heads out from behind the poles or just one leaning on each pole would say 'Band' to me. At the moment it just says '4 Fellas...'
    Possibly the guys involved need to learn to sell themselves as well - they just don't appear to have the nous to perform for the camera.
    It's all experience though, for both yourself and the Band and that can only be good. Good luck with it... most of your gig shots are very impressive so hopefully this will work out and add another string to your bow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Which man...? lol

No it could be down to the band also as said above. One band shoot I did was for a bands 3rd album and it was their first proper shoot, I had to beg them to do it, as friends I really wanted to help them and they just werent getting enough print as they had no images to supply that were worth printing, some guys just think the music should talk but you need to sell the band to get people to listen to the music too, so yeah the lads need to relax and they should also have input as to what they want out of their images, do they want to portray energy, originality or are they more after something more thoughtful, like a deep meaning in their music and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

They look really nervous and uncomfortable/stiff. That's the main problem here IMHO.

I did a shoot as a favour for a young band a while back, it was as much an experience for me as them - once I noted they were also nervous and a little stiff about it I pretty much had a smoke and just chatted with them after getting them into position. then just whipped out the camera and shot them before they had time to feel awkward. turned out pretty nice, natural smiles and stances, nothing forced. They were happy, that's always the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Tearaway

You need to move them round a little - have a look at band shots on the net - the U2 shot by Anton Corbin is a good example where one guy is closer and the others are spread around the background.

Don't worry to much if the drummer is out of focus in the back - actually I think by nature drummers are out of focus. Try low angles and make the camera create the action for you.

Good first attempt though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Tearaway wrote: »
    You need to move them round a little - have a look at band shots on the net - the U2 shot by Anton Corbin is a good example where one guy is closer and the others are spread around the background.

Don't worry to much if the drummer is out of focus in the back - actually I think by nature drummers are out of focus. Try low angles and make the camera create the action for you.

Good first attempt though ;)
    Don't tell lars ulrich

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Tearaway

Effects wrote: »
    Don't tell lars ulrich

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Awkward teeny band look awkward and teeny in my opinion - no offence but these could be a killer band for all I know but the photos make me want to shoot them with shards of broken Greenday cds...

As a shoot its not helping this band.

I think 4/5 photos are sharp and not overly processed - the funky angle thing on the last one isnt doing any favours and generally the rest could be straightened slightly... just my opinion..also everything is too centered for me try some offset shots next time.

The whole awkwardess of them is just cringewothy - you should have had them do something to pre occupy them as suggested previously, cycle in circles, surely at least two of these lads own a skateboard.... one possibly plays chess, set up a chess board .... use that checkered building as a back drop... ya know something to take away that ... I feel awkward but really I rock ...

On the upside...there are no swans and they are not stuck to a wall .... and for the most part you can see the eyes...which is vitally important.

Also another positive, imagine the hilarity at pole mans 30th brithday party when one of his mates pulls out the first photgraph in 12 years time. eminem is the only one who made any attempt at expressing a smidge of personality..fair play he's not original but he made an effort.

I think you can take a photgraph, but these lads havent helped push you out there as a band photogrpaher in my humblest opinion.

As a shoot its not helping you as a photographer.

I think you need an angle or a concept these lads can relax with - Please post re shoot Id be interested to see what you get out of them after they recover from the feedback. You could spend a rehearsal with them and use only candid shots not posed ones.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

They look really nervous and uncomfortable/stiff. That's the main problem here IMHO.

I did a shoot as a favour for a young band a while back, it was as much an experience for me as them - once I noted they were also nervous and a little stiff about it I pretty much had a smoke and just chatted with them after getting them into position. then just whipped out the camera and shot them before they had time to feel awkward. turned out pretty nice, natural smiles and stances, nothing forced. They were happy, that's always the main thing.

I know what you were smoking. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

They look uncomfortable because you've taken them out of their comfort zone. Grand canal dock is a great photographic location, but it doesn't work for your subjects. They're uncomfortable and it makes the background take precedence.

Don't ask them to pose, because it looks like they're about to be shot in a very different way tbh.

Try some shots at a practice session of theirs first. Watch them messing around and exchanging banter. Just get snapshots and forget about composition and colour and lighting until they get used to having the camera around them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a few suggestions - convert the image to greyscale, photoshop those tall red things so they look like cacti, and photoshop the band's eyes so they look as if they're all staring moodily into the distance, as if they all just farted and are trying to pretend it wasn't them.

they'll sell millions then.

The more I look at the first pic,I dunno if its intentional but its brilliant it just cracks me up:D:D

To balance this out a little I thought Id post this in case you felt a little disheartened ... whilst you need to improve on these take solice that they are no where near some of these bad boys....

Enjoy - Warning do not have a mouth full of coffee at any point when viewing these.:D:D:D:D

http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Trev M wrote: »
    The more I look at the first pic,I dunno if its intentional but its brilliant it just cracks me up:D:D

The big lad was the only one who wasn't self conscious. He was up for anything, the rest were a bit reluctant.

Bear in mind the eldest of these lads was just 20. They're only a band a few weeks and I guess they haven't really found 'their image' yet. They wanted the shoot at Grand Canal - for lyrical reasons I'm told, and while I thought it'd be better to go to the bulding sites on the other side of the liffey they weren't exactly keen on the walk involved!

They were unbelieveably arkward at the start, hands on hips with stiff shoulders, and despite my best jokes and instructions only two of them really eased up. That said, I'm still happy with the images. It's the first in a long line of casual band shoots, I'm sure, and I'd be stupid to think I'd get it first go.

But I do appreciate the creative feedback.

That said, I like the 'casual arkwardness' of the photos. It's en vogue to an extent. At least in the likes of NME:

F_msmall.jpg

Surfer+Blood++png+4.png

200795214658278.jpg

Ah fair play , I must admit I have some really really embarrassing band photos with me in them from back in the day :D:D:D:D I know whats it like to be standing in front of someone when your young self conscious and that .... I wish the ads the best of luck , its a poxy hard game from the get go , best of luck to yourself aswell I reckon when you get more seasoned musos in the frame you'll be flyin.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Orly

mehfesto wrote: »
    That said, I like the 'casual arkwardness' of the photos. It's en vogue to an extent

I disagree with this. While it may or may not be en vogue, I don't think you captured this purposely or directed the shoot in that way. What strikes me about all these shots is a lack of communication or rapport between the subject and the photographer.

The NME reference shots are something to aim towards, certainly, but for now they cannot be compared.

Disregarding the awkwardness of the band for a second, I think you've a lot to improve with regards to composition and lighting. You definitely seem into it - the whole process - so the passion is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I disagree with this. While it may or may not be en vogue, I don't think you captured this purposely or directed the shoot in that way. What strikes me about all these shots is a lack of communication or rapport between the subject and the photographer.

I'd agree with this, the awkwardness doesn't work with the band or in the photos in this case, you need to have some bit more interaction with the camera or something else to make it work, it comes across in their faces and posture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Trev M wrote: »
    Ah fair play , I must admit I have some really really embarrassing band photos with me in them from back in the day .

would you like me to post a few of your finer poses to show people ;-)

Ive no problem with that what so ever ...I wouldnt have mentioned it if I did...good times ;-)

Waterfall pic is a must!

I think you took this , which Ive always liked.

20354_1116051319872_1784659973_230098_5270555_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, the awkwardness doesn't work with the band or in the photos in this case, you need to have some bit more interaction with the camera or something else to make it work, it comes across in their faces and posture.

This is exactly what I had been thinking reading down through the posts (Fajitas you beat me to it!!)

You need to talk to the band, have a bit of craic with them (not the drugs type lol), spend time, talking and take a few shots first to put them at ease. Perhaps you were nervous yourself trying to get 'everything' right? They might have picked up on this. One thing I have learned through the years is just keep talking all the time I man handle them (the guys love it lol - I'm female by the way lol). Move as you taking, talk while you're snapping and before you or they know it you've got your shots. I like the lighting by the way, it's just the images didn't jump out of the screen for me. best of luck going forward.

Advertisement