Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What your teen did/said today to make you smile/cry??

• 19-01-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭

It can be like 4 seasons in one day with regards to the emotions of a teenager in the house sometimes. Never quite know where the day will take ya!!! Today was a good one...Yeahhhhh!!!

My son made me realise again today just how much he has grown up and actually how responsible he is becoming! He has decided to apply for degree courses in GMIT as he likes the fact that there are regulations set down with respect to attendance and said that he feels that this would suit him better than the "attend lectures only if you want to" system in NUIG:eek:

I'm amazed but very happy to be told of this decision:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Watching Golden Globes on tv the other night with almost 17 year old sitting beside me.
    Listening to the speeches,she said " when I win,I'm gonna thank my mammy and daddy."

Nice to be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

msthe80s wrote: »
    Watching Golden Globes on tv the other night with almost 17 year old sitting beside me.
    Listening to the speeches,she said " when I win,I'm gonna thank my mammy and daddy."

Nice to be appreciated.

Haha, msthe80's......

My 12 year old daughter was terrible when she was 10 for imagining her life in Hollywood as a famous actress but thankfully now as she nears 13 she's becoming a bit more realistic about where her life may be headed......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My 12 year old went on her first hunt today, no foxes involved as I hate fox hunting. She completed it with no incidents.

Nice to be appreciated.

Haha, msthe80's......

My 12 year old daughter was terrible when she was 10 for imagining her life in Hollywood as a famous actress but thankfully now as she nears 13 she's becoming a bit more realistic about where her life may be headed......:D

My one us still dreaming of being a model. Keep on telling her it ain't gonna happen unless she is taller than 5.7 1/2 she's 5,2 now so not sure if she will make it to that height. If she still wants to persue it when she is sixteen then I'll support her. If we lived in Dublin I would have git her involved in acting. She had offers in London and manchester. But because we don't live there I had to turn them down anyways my lady don't give up easily.

My oldest,just 17, is over 5'9 very slim and gorgeous,considered the modelling route but it scares the bejaysus out of me.But I'd never stop her,once she has something else to fall back on.

They've just come back from "viewing " the talent sport at a hurling match.
    She's comes in beaming, showing me all the photos she's had taken with the talent hurlers.
    " I met my future husband today".:eek:

The poor fella looks shell shocked in the photo!!!

• Advertisement

My oldest,just 17, is over 5'9 very slim and gorgeous,considered the modelling route but it scares the bejaysus out of me.But I'd never stop her,once she has something else to fall back on.

They've just come back from "viewing " the talent sport at a hurling match.
    She's comes in beaming, showing me all the photos she's had taken with the talent hurlers.
    " I met my future husband today".:eek:

The poor fella looks shell shocked in the photo!!!

They need their education too.

I met my husband at 17. Were together 14 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

My eldest, whos 11, is now officially taller than me, I smiled and then cried!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Made me a cup of tea. He's been of sick from school with flu the last week and isn't ready yet to go back. He noticed I usually have a cup of tea around 11ish and while I was getting things done made it for me and left it with two bickies on a plate and the book I am currently reading on the table for me.
    I teared up, he said I have been minding him all week and it wanted to do something for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Not a story about my teen, as my child is still in its mammy's womb for another 3 months, but....

My wife's brother, who is 18, started college in September on the other side of the country.

We were going to visit him one weekend early in the semester, and asked him if he wanted us to pick him up any cheap household supplies in Tesco or something. He asked for a new kettle, as the one in the house he was sharing with a couple other students was broken.

When we arrived at his house I saw someone else already boiling a kettle, and said I thought it was broken?

He said, "Yeah, look, you can see all the metal at the bottom - the others have been using it but that looks really dangerous to me, I wouldn't put water on that!"

He was talking about the regular element at the bottom of the kettle.... :rolleyes:

I just thought, wow, I knew as the baby in the family he was spoiled rotten, but his mother did a really poor job in preparing him for the real world! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

ARrrrggh. It is amazing how they can spend 2/3 hour 'looking' for something, esp in their room which suddenly is a black hole, but when you enter the room and directly supervise the 'looking' it is found in 5 mins and in a place they swear they have already looked 20 times.

• Advertisement

12 year old son brought me porridge in bed today,ate every bit of it,lumps and all.Bless his good heart.
    Didn't mind scrubbing the saucepan afterwards,it was worth it.

I told my daughter I wanted to do the flora mini marathon this year. And she said 'can I do it too' she wants to do it to raise funds for the diabetic federation of Ireland. I never thought she would volunteer to walk 10k put a smile on my face.

Only problem is I think you have to be 14, I've contacted them to ask about age restrictions.

Only problem is I think you have to be 14, I've contacted them to ask about age restrictions.

What a nice thought- some children are so generous.
    I think you might be right,my oldest wanted to do it a few years ago but was too young.
    Maybe check out the website? http://www.florawomensminimarathon.ie

10 k is not that long,really.We did a local 10k on Stephen's Day and the children enjoyed it,all do athletics/football/soccer anyway,so are fit.
    Maybe see if there's one local to you that you could both do together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

My 16 year old son had his first cookery lesson in school today and he brought me home a chocolate chip scone and it was delicious. 10 mins later he flipped from being nice to being a sh1t.

deisemum wrote: »
    10 mins later he flipped from being nice to being a sh1t.

Amazing how quick that can happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Fea.

For years when my four were younger, for mothers day they would make me breakfast in bed which consisted of four slices of toast and a pint glass of milk. A slice of toast each for them and the glass of milk to be shared between us all.

12 year old son,this evening after his shower.
    "Cuddle,mom?"

Works every time.:)

Mad rush this morning, 12 year old had her entrance exam, she gets up at 8.30 beautifies herself this takes 45 mins, scoops down her breakfast in 4 mins and out the door. Had to make a quick stop for lucozade (just in case) and water and off she went, got there with 2 mins to spare. Why oh why does it take 45 mins to get ready?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gizmorox

Mad rush this morning, 12 year old had her entrance exam, she gets up at 8.30 beautifies herself this takes 45 mins, scoops down her breakfast in 4 mins and out the door. Had to make a quick stop for lucozade (just in case) and water and off she went, got there with 2 mins to spare. Why oh why does it take 45 mins to get ready?

My 12 year old daughter is currently doing her entrance exam too,shed a tear as she's dyslexic and she was so nervous....bless her,spent hours yesterday and very early;)this morning going over fractions,english etc.,really hope she's doing ok.

Mad rush this morning, 12 year old had her entrance exam, she gets up at 8.30 beautifies herself ....Why oh why does it take 45 mins to get ready?

Sorry, hon. Son has his today, shower last night,a 2 minute gel job to the gruaig this morning and he was good to go!( only found out later,he woke his sister to help him with the gel...not impressed,as she has mocks and is wrecked.)
    It's a girl thing.Am waiting over an hour now for the girls to get ready to go to the shops! Scream.....By the time they're finished,it'll be roller skates on again to drive and collect son.

gizmorox wrote: »
    My 12 year old daughter is currently doing her entrance exam too,shed a tear as she's dyslexic and she was so nervous....bless her,spent hours yesterday and very early;)this morning going over fractions,english etc.,really hope she's doing ok.

It's usually an aptitude test and all the preparation in the world won't make a difference.Talk to the Principal/resource teacher,so she'll get all the help she needs in September-always better for them to know beforehand.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement

gizmorox wrote: »

Ah the pet... my lady went over fractions and percentages and shapes she was told there will be a lot of shapes. She is finished at 11.30 then gets fitted for a school jacket. Im collecting her at 12.30

Hope your daughter got on ok, give us an update when you speak with her later....

Sorry, hon. Son has his today, shower last night,a 2 minute gel job to the gruaig this morning and he was good to go!
    It's a girl thing.Am waiting over an hour now for the girls to get ready to go to the shops! Scream.....By the time they're finished,it'll be roller skates on again to drive and collect son.

It's usually an aptitude test and all the preparation in the world won't make a difference.Talk to the Principal/resource teacher,so she'll get all the help she needs in September-always better for them to know beforehand.
    Best of luck.

She had a shower last night so at least that was out the way. other wise she would be getting ready now.. :eek:..

Let us know how your son got on :)

I would also agree with the the latter. We got an application for resource hours in the post last week and said to hand it into them today if our child needed any.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

got the fone bill, 80 euro on mobiles.
    called my 16 y/old and said this bill is yours.
    He checks it out and says why ?
    Because its your friends mobile number that why.
    And he replys, well how do you know I MADE THOSE CALLS.
    Im not the only one living here
    PMSL LMFAO... classic.

Seems a lot of us here have little ladies headed into Secondary School this year!!!

It's a first for me in a way as I've 2 sons ( in Junior Cert and Leaving Cert) but this is my first daughter going.....

I'm thinking it'll probably be different due to girls falling out easier and all the boy drama...,:D

Well she is back, said the exam was 2 hours of hell. She also got told off for talking.... She had finished the exam and was chatting to her friend behind her. She gas no idea how she has done. She Said she wished she knew oragami. She got her photo taken for her swipe card and got fitted for the school jacket.

Done and dusted, next up confirmation wondering if she will mind getting uniform, shoes, books, for her confirmation. Uniform is 200 books somewhere between 300 and 450, shoes 90 jacket 60. That's like 600 Euro. She should be pleased ;)

Don't think it works like that though.... :(

Think we will be back here in September comparing notes.....

Let us know how your son got on :)
    Son found it fine.
    A few bits he didn't understand so he guessed!!
    Got told off for taking phone out:eek:(wanted to ring me to collect him as it was over early)
    I wouldn't mind but the poor child has had phone for 2 years and has never used it cos mother kept forgetting to get credit for him:o got it last night,though.

Oh,ladies,we've an expensive few years ahead.Let's hope they settle in well,and make some nice friends.

It's a first for me in a way as I've 2 sons ( in Junior Cert and Leaving Cert) but this is my first daughter going.....
    I'm thinking it'll probably be different due to girls falling out easier and all the boy drama...,:D

My girls love secondary- have so many friends of both genders, a nice bunch,all of them.Big pressure with girls and make up,hairstyles etc....
    The biggest hurdle is the mobile phone,and everyone looking for their number.
    But at least you've been there with the boys.
    My 3 will be at the same school,for a year,hurray...less running pour moi.

Son just now said "love you mom"-random ,out of blue as he's on some nintendo thingy.Made my day :)

We are gonna be all over the place again. Will have one hopefully in college in Galway city (we live about 25 miles away). I'll hopefully be working about 45 miles away:(
    Will have another going to Secondary school in the City with one going to secondary school near our house and one in the local primary school...

House of 6 people and not one of us will be going to the same place!!! Logistics will be interesting to say the least:pac:

Thought I was bad, 1 finished at 2, 1 finished at 3 and the other across town finished at 4. She is going to an all girls school, but hoping to catch sight of boys from the Gael colaiste , and tech. Might convince her to do her homework in the library and then walk to her dad's work and catch a lift home with him. He works 5 min from her school.

• Advertisement

She is going to an all girls school, but hoping to catch sight of boys from the Gael colaiste , and tech..

:D:D.....made me laugh!!

Advertisement