Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Linux Use In Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

right so. Old thread unstickied. New thread stickied. :)

Myself and Micro keep a good eye on the place and always take action when the nasty people post rubbish etc.

We are watching :) - if yis need something done specifically a simple pm will surfice.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Now theres good moderation! giving the people what they want.
    cheers man!Nice to know we haveya on board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Great to see this thread made a sticky, hopefully it'll draw many more ppl into this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Right. Frist off: Seasons greetings:D
    Secondly, how about [strike]drinking[/strike] meeting in January?
    It'll be completely informal (suprisingly enough) - just to try discuss this in person and to get things moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

sounds like an idea, anyone have any ideas where?

as i said previously i can try arrange something in dit, but i've exams in january so i might not be able to arrange anything until last week of jan

• Advertisement

kdouglas wrote:
    sounds like an idea, anyone have any ideas where?

as i said previously i can try arrange something in dit, but i've exams in january so i might not be able to arrange anything until last week of jan

Count me in as well. Haven't got a clue where though unless we hold it the last week in Jan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Im up for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yeah sounds like a good laugh, I will be there.

OK.
    Whoever has exams or other previous engagements in January: PM me with dates, please.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Nice one Karoma,
    With a bit of notice, I should be able to make it.

Looking foward to meeting you all.
    NiallB

• Advertisement

Right... (For now,at least) I'm thinking:
    Saturday, 21st January, 2006. The Hairy Lemon (Stephen's Green).

The intention of this is an informal meeting and dicsussion to try agree on the basics and get things moving; and then have a few drinks.
    So, everyone is welcome!

The arrangements are flexible: If there are any problems with the date or location, PM me. And if you know for certain that will or won't be attending, PM me also.

Sounds good to me. I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Yeah, I'll give it a shot alright - though I can't commit 100% at the mo' so I haven't pm'd Karoma.

I know we're doing this for fun and a common interest, but how much we get done about what direction we're heading in will depend on what time we start the session...errrr...meeting. Any clues on this yet???

If its on at 10pm then, let's face it, it's going to be a drinking session and nothing else.:D
    If it's on at 10 am then....wait...do they even have a 10am on a Saturday anymore? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 g-cad

count me in

g-cad wrote:
    count me in

Cool. Make sure you Pm Karoma so.

Right. So far, so good - I've got a decent response to date. Some non-Boardsies want to tag along-I don't see this as a problem(right?)

And I just noticed that a previous post disappeared..so:

When: Saturday, 21st January, 2006 :: 1400hrs.
    Where: The Hairy Lemon (Stephen's Green -> 42 Lower Stephen Street) [Upstairs].

Saturdays, in Dublin city are crazy. Especially when it comes to traffic. Plus, the venue is a pub... so ... Give yourselves plenty of time to make your way in and leave the cars at home:D

As ever, if anyone has any questions of feedback - post here or PM me. See you there!

Gagh! I was going to pop by - but I fscking messed up the address/couldn't find the Hairy Lemon :o ... don't usually have reason to go anywhere near that side of city, so didn't know the area too well in the first place.

Can we assume there'll be a post-back of what was decided at the meeting...especially re: what the whole thrust of the group is at the moment?
    (e.g. how many people are just installing linux, how many want to learn more about the shell, who's into/wants to be into programming on Linux etc...)

I'd be interested in knowing too.. ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sorry I couldn't be there guys, was called into work yesterday :-/. Any ideas as to when the next one will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Damn I knew I forgot something......
    Oh well will try and make the next one.

• Advertisement

Did anybody turn up? I was there but I arrived 20min late. Did you meet up and move on somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Bummer, I didn't confirm because I knew there was a good chance something would come up and I don't really live in Dublin.

Maybe Saturday night in the Hairy Lemon was just too packed. Getting a table there would have meant somebody
    having to be there since 8.

Several years ago, the first meeting of the D15wan
    ended up as two small meetings in the same packed room
    because we didn't know each other.

A suggestion for next time?
    Quieter place, quieter time or both,
    and bring something obvious to leave on the table:
    A penguin, a fish, a motorcycle helmet - doesn't matter so long as people know what to look out for.

Don't be disheartened jaqian.
    113 posts say you were right about something new being needed!

NiallB

Cheers Niall. Good idea about leaving something obvious on the table as I felt a right twat asking some lads if they were off "boards". :)

I don’t think we should get too disheartened by last Saturday at all – put it down to teething problems. What we have learned is that a crowded pub mightn’t be the best place for an inaugural meeting of a bunch of people who don’t know each other.

Well, how about we do something absolutely crazy – since we don’t know each other at all we arrange to meet somewhere less social, have a good twenty minute/half-hour discussion as to what exactly we want from the LUG and then break up – those heading to a pub head to the pub, those who need to fight their way home through the Dublin traffic do so.

I doubt I can get a room in my Department – I’m too low a grade and I think it’s only open in the mornings for official business - but I’ll check anyways and post back tomorrow. There’s a pretty sweet meeting room that would be perfect!

More realistic: Anyone know if you can book the meeting room in the Central Library in the Ilac Centre? (More importantly, is it free?)

Or is anyone here in a University or IT in the city centre?

When I was (very) briefly in Trinity I used to book rooms in the Arts Block all the time. You just need to be a student there and ring Accommodation and ask to reserve a room for x amount of people (say it’s for a study group). I assume it’s similar for DIT. I’m not registered anymore, but if someone else is they should be able to do it without too much trouble.

I stayed for 20-25 minutes; before heading back to the sickbed :).
    The upstairs was/is empty on Saturday daytime.
    I approached one guy who looked like he may be a Boardsie (:p) ..he left.. I didn't want to go through it again. I should have marked a table or worn a big Boardsie t-shirt/badge.. Informal failed - so, agreed, formal meeting the next time!

Karoma wrote:
    I stayed for 20-25 minutes; before heading back to the sickbed :).

Must have passed each other so.

Any suggestions for next meet up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

if there is a meet happening count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah lads count me in though agreed, formal the next time. Maybe find out how many people are interested and rent out a room somewhere.

• Advertisement

Hmmm...don't know who was doing what in relation to this, and posts seem to have dried up a little bit, so I did some leg work.

I checked with my Department to use a room for a meeting - effectively a no-go for the moment.

I asked in the Central Library in the Ilac Centre - they do have a meeting room...I was told at the Information Desk it would be pretty much booked up at the moment, but the people to check with were the Learning Resource people in the Library who had the actual schedule. Didn't get a chance to actually check with them...anyone else feel like giving them a buzz to see when they have available?(In work for rest of day, so I won't get chance)

Any one else have any luck for a possible meeting place?

Any Uni/Tech students get a chance to check with their institutions to see if they can book a room? Anybody know any parish/community hall or school that might let us have a room for free?

Advertisement