Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New iMac?

Options
  • 22-09-2014 1:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some input please. I'm in he market shortly for a new iMac. I currently have a 2007 2ghz core 2 duo iMac which has served me well but it cant handle some movie/photo editing software so well so I'm looking to upgrade.

Any tips? Is an iMac refresh due? Is there much resell value on my own iMac or is there somewhere that takes trade ins?

Not interested in MacBooks etc just the iMac.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

New iMacs should be announced at the Mac/iPad event in October. The iMac is overdue a refresh. The last one was this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I'm holding out for one too and there are suggestions that this year could see a retina display iMac. Which would be fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Considering what Dell is charging for a 5k screen and the kind of video card required to drive it (the iMac uses mobile GPUs remember), I think a Retina iMac is a while off yet. A Retina Cinema Display for the Mac Pro is a stronger possibility.

Don't ruin my hopes and dreams! :-(

Could be here as early as next month: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/29/retina-imac-27-amd/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Well it's here http://store.apple.com/ie/buy-mac/imac-retina
    Anyone going to take the plunge?
    I have a 12,2 model i7 iMac at the moment and I'm wondering if the speed difference would be a lot between it and the new i5 model?
    Trying to resist but that screen is just mighty.

And what a machine it is. I'd love one but they're really not cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

Just get an internal SSD, new Ram and your laughing. As long as the processor is fast your good to go and its a lot cheaper.

mickoc wrote: »
    Just get an internal SSD, new Ram and your laughing. As long as the processor is fast your good to go and its a lot cheaper.

I've maxed out my 2008 MacBook Pro with RAM and already upgraded to an SSD. It's six years old now, the cd drive doesn't work and there's a three inch mark in the screen. It doesn't owe me anything by now and I've had a great run from it.

And be honest, no one is buying that machine for the performance. It's all about the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Zcott wrote: »
    I've maxed out my 2008 MacBook Pro with RAM and already upgraded to an SSD. It's six years old now, the cd drive doesn't work and there's a three inch mark in the screen. It doesn't owe me anything by now and I've had a great run from it.

And be honest, no one is buying that machine for the performance. It's all about the screen.

The screen is awesome.
    I was trying doing a few comparisons of the cpu's and I think the i5 is at least as quick as the older i7?
    I think if I'm ordering I'll be taking one with an i5, 256 ssd and 16gb ram, similar to my current spec except the glorious screen.
    Now to find a buyer for my imac.

• Advertisement

I don’t think the Nvidia can power that many pixels. It remains to be seen whether the M290X really can either. This is probably going be a repeat of the iPad 3 and first gen 13-inch Retina MBP.

Advertisement