Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-09-2014, 18:19   #886
CaoimheCweeva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Boobs View Post
But what if I was bringing a broad home? I'd need to know that I could get her in. Especially since it isn't often it happens!!!
I'm sure you'd be fine!
Advertisement
02-09-2014, 17:27   #887
kaiju

Agh sorry, I'm a first year who just booked into the place a few days ago (residents are supposed to come in on the 2nd but they let me in early) so I probably shouldn't have posted like I know what I was on about-- that being said, I'm glad Caoimhe seems to have had a different experience.

Either way I hope you get accommodation sorted!
05-09-2014, 20:09   #888
biscuitbummer

Hey, does anyone know how to deal with an awkward landlord??
wev just moved into our first student house (deposit paid, contract signed) only to discover a long list of missing things. the list includes a mop, bucket, washing line, floor brush, bins in the kitchen and bathrooms, storage in the bathrooms, not enough cutlery no bedroom furnishings other than a bed, wardrobe and a TINY desk that a chair wont fit under. also the house was filthy when we arrived. there are tea stains on walls,webs everywhere, grease covering oven microwave etc) and we had to spend the last few days cleaning it, including clearing mold from inside the washing machine.

we gave him the list and he flew off the handle altogether, saying we needed a "reality check" and that he "wasnt running a hotel". when he had calmed down the next day he agreed to get us a few of the items (cutlery bins mirrors) and we have decided to just buy our own desks and bring lamps from home. we dont know what to do about the rest of the stuff?

I have sleep there 3 nights now and have discovered that there is no filling/foam in my mattress at all. I had to sleep on top of my duvet all 3 nights as the springs were too uncomfortable to lie on. I hate the thought of pilling this on him as well especially as it is unlikely to get me anywhere and only bring more unpleasantness into the equation, but i really can`t sleep on it.
on the plus side the house is spacious enough, loads of windows, no damp so we dont want to leave it.
What would ye advise me to do about the sleeping situation?? (i dont have the money or transport to buy a new mattress)
05-09-2014, 20:15   #889
ciaradx

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbummer View Post
Hey, does anyone know how to deal with an awkward landlord??
wev just moved into our first student house (deposit paid, contract signed) only to discover a long list of missing things. the list includes a mop, bucket, washing line, floor brush, bins in the kitchen and bathrooms, storage in the bathrooms, not enough cutlery no bedroom furnishings other than a bed, wardrobe and a TINY desk that a chair wont fit under. also the house was filthy when we arrived. there are tea stains on walls,webs everywhere, grease covering oven microwave etc) and we had to spend the last few days cleaning it, including clearing mold from inside the washing machine.

we gave him the list and he flew off the handle altogether, saying we needed a "reality check" and that he "wasnt running a hotel". when he had calmed down the next day he agreed to get us a few of the items (cutlery bins mirrors) and we have decided to just buy our own desks and bring lamps from home. we dont know what to do about the rest of the stuff?

I have sleep there 3 nights now and have discovered that there is no filling/foam in my mattress at all. I had to sleep on top of my duvet all 3 nights as the springs were too uncomfortable to lie on. I hate the thought of pilling this on him as well especially as it is unlikely to get me anywhere and only bring more unpleasantness into the equation, but i really can`t sleep on it.
on the plus side the house is spacious enough, loads of windows, no damp so we dont want to leave it.
What would ye advise me to do about the sleeping situation?? (i dont have the money or transport to buy a new mattress)
You should call to the accommodation office on College Road and talk to them. They can inspect the house and mediate between you and the landlord.

(I'm also really curious about who your landlord is because the one we had last year was exactly like that - flew off the handle over anything and was completely inept. Doesn't sound like the same house though.)
05-09-2014, 21:44   #890
biscuitbummer

thanks for that, ill call to them on monday morning (he wants to meet us all monday evening to "set us straight"). Its at the lough, could it be the same?? he has 3 other student houses around so u never know! how did ye deal with it last year if u dont mind me asking?
Advertisement
06-09-2014, 12:05   #891
Dave47

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbummer View Post
thanks for that, ill call to them on monday morning (he wants to meet us all monday evening to "set us straight"). Its at the lough, could it be the same?? he has 3 other student houses around so u never know! how did ye deal with it last year if u dont mind me asking?
id say call down and meet them monday morning with pics as well if you have them.
11-09-2014, 09:16   #892
didsir

Hey guys,

Just looking for a house share. I'm 4th year Zoology 22 year old girl. It doesn't matter what kind of room it is. Single or double. Makes no mind to me. I'm fairly relaxed and quiet enough. I play Xbox and enjoy having a bit of banter. I enjoy the odd night out but I really don't need help missing my early morning lectures! I'm looking to move in immediately. If there's anything else you want to know, just give me a message.

Cheers!
15-09-2014, 11:59   #893
closeline

Where would I find accommodation at this late stage?
15-09-2014, 23:19   #894
magicianz

Many people in the same boat, I still see people in labs looking at daft and such!

I'd get onto ucc's accomodations office and see if they're keeping a list of people looking for homes so you might be able to put a house together as landlords seem to only want to take that at the moment!

Check noticeboards around campus, can't remember seeing anything recently but it doesn't hurt to spend the few minutes checking.

Try posting on any house share facebook groups you can, go to some societies events and meet some people, good chance you'd come across someone looking for a house too.

If you're mature/postgraduate, try getting onto their respective offices and see if they have any leads!

Honestly situation is ****ing ridiculous at the moment! Rent prices shot up, demand shot up, stress shot up, and quality of the university shot down.

.....that final one may be a cynical personal opinion
Advertisement
17-09-2014, 18:27   #895
didsir

Hey,

Myself and another UCC student are getting together to do a house share. We're looking for any people who want to join in on it. We're both female students doing biological degrees. If you're interested, just PM me and i'll get back to you asap.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion