Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to do with a 9 year old

• 16-07-2014 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Not sure if im posting in the correct section - apologies if im not and mods please move to where ever is appropriate.

My 9 year old nephew is coming to stay with me for a few days and I am looking for some idea's of what I can do with him.
    I don't have access to a car so will be using public transport and don't want anything that will cost a lot of money - which prob doesn't leave me with many options!!

can anyone suggest anything for me please?

thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Picnic, a walking tour of the city. Shopping maybe a few small items from penny's. How about seeing if he would like to help you in the kitchen cooking or baking. You can take him to the store to pick the ingredients etc, before actually cooking his lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Look up playgrounds that aren't too far away, invent some game while there and leverage the imagination of the child.

Swimming in a local pool might be an option.

Day at the beach, weather permitting.

Picnic in the park, even in the city - St. Stephens green is always fun. Playground there too.

Go to the movies, good choices at the moment. Keep the costs down by bringing treats.

A day at the zoo might be an option too.

Read to him/her at nighttime.

flippin' Loom bands are the trend at the moment, not expensive things and lots of guides on youtube.

Enjoy the experience and don't stress it. Children of this age are full of wonderment and understand more than we appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Thanks for suggestions, just don't want the child to be to bored when he is with me. don't have kids myself, so no idea what sort of things would interest them. was thinking of taking him for a walk around Dublin Castle & maybe trinity college, but just didn't know if a 9 year old would be into that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Natural history museum in Dublin is free. Could spend hours in there. Some really good exhibits.
    Dart to dunlaoghaire, walk on the pier and a teddys ice cream
    Kick a football in phoenix park
    Zoo is expensive enough.
    I see loads of these open top bus tours in Dublin - don't know how much but they are usually quite good.
    Viking tour is great fun but ridiculously expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

This post has been deleted.

I have asked him and he is such an easy going child, said he will do whatever I want to do - that's why im looking for ideas, I don't want him to be bored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

If you are in Dublin, The Natural history museum is a big hit with kids that age and its free in, lots of stuffed animals. The gold display in the main national museum would capture the imagination aswell as would the military stuff in Collins barracks. All Free.
    The Zoo is a great value day out as you can get five or six hours for around €16 and you can bring a picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Also if you have access to the gear Fishing on the canals or shore is good for kids that age. Another option would be a league of Ireland match with chips etc after - doing something they wouldn't usually do.
    beach trips and ice cream are always good.
    Pitch and Putt or golf - Deerpark in howth is close to the dart.
    Final offering would be just messing about / having a bit of an adventure in the woods at Howth head, Furry Glen or around masseys estate and the hellfire club depending on where you are based. If you have GPS on you phone look up geocaching as it can add another element to these sort of trips.

Most of all try to do something that they wouldn't usually do with their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

collect as many cardboard boxes as you can from local shops and supermarkets and spend the day building a fort in the garden ........ I was low on funds too, just bought some masking tape...

Did it a few weeks ago with my 7 yo nephew and we both had a ball... ate dinner in it !!

have an empty recycling bin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, in 5th class we were brought on a school tour to St. Michans church on Church St.
    I loved it so much I still bring overseas visitors there when showing them around Dublin.
    Its only 3 or 4€ in for an adult, and less for a child.
    Its an interesting and 'scary' way to pass a couple of hours, the tour guide is excellent , and the mummies are scary!
    I guess it depends on his personality and interests if he's enjoy/be bored/ scared.
    The cost and tour times are on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Air show in Bray seafront tomorrow if he hasn't been already. Bring suncream.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ireland/travel-tips-and-articles/77773

kids always love the comic shops... wouldn't go to the wax museum its woeful....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

The national aquatic centre in blanchardstown is great and the transport mueseum in howth is also very good

Advertisement