Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming while having period

• 08-06-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi

My dd has just started her first period, at 11 , too young :( anyway she is due to go to Funtasia on her school trip on Tues. I know i have swam while on mine with no issue but if she is queueing for slides etc there could be trouble??

dont wanna have to stop her going but may be my only option??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

My little woman started hers early too, it can be terrible so young. I guess it depends on how heavy they are? Could it possibly have stopped by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

If you stop her going it may give her a negative attitude that she carries for life. It is important to be as mater of fact about it as possible but to establish that having a period is not an excuse to miss PE or get time off school.

If it isn't very heavy there shouldn't be a problem but you can get mini tampons that are suitable for younger girls and might make her feel more confident. Lots of girls have their periods by 10 or 11 and some primary schools now have sanitary bins for the senior girls toilets so the chances are she isn't the only one in her class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Personally I wouldn't go down the tampon route if she's only started her periods. My girl has had hers 2 years and only recently tried to use them and found it impossible. I don't see how it's giving a negative attitude by not allowing her to go- if she 'bleeds' while waiting her turn for a slide it could give more of a negative embarrassing feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭murphydublin

Ive told her the chances are she will have to pass on this trip, they are heavy enough so dont see them stopping in time. Ill take her to the cinema or for lunch, make her feel a bit special, bless :)

i dont want to give her a negative attitide to sport etc when the arrive but definrtly think an "accident" would b so much worse. God at that age i would have been mortified! And others can be cruel :(

i would not consider tampons at this age....i cant believe im having this conversation !!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Lots of young girls use periods from the start now, would you not consider letting her try them. They do make the whole period thing so much easier. I hope she (and you) are doing okay, it must be such an emotion time when your daughter gets her first period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

You can get tampons for teens now, dunno if they are smaller but might help?

http://www.boots.com/en/Lil-Lets-teens-applicator-tampons-10-pack_1401536/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hi OP,
    Completely understand your worry. It's great if you can take her out, but could she say that she has a kidney infection/anything else that could excuse her from the pool? Then she could enjoy her tour without the worry.
    Also, periods are awful, especially at that age.

She might just love the tour - a lot of the enjoyment is in the planning and anticipation. The others in the class will all be talking about the tour on Wednesday and she might be feeling left out.

Good Luck with whatever you decide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ive told her the chances are she will have to pass on this trip, they are heavy enough so dont see them stopping in time. Ill take her to the cinema or for lunch, make her feel a bit special, bless :)

i dont want to give her a negative attitide to sport etc when the arrive but definrtly think an "accident" would b so much worse. God at that age i would have been mortified! And others can be cruel :(

i would not consider tampons at this age....i cant believe im having this conversation !!

I think giving her anxiety about it now isn't going to help her in general. Forbidding a whole trip for something that she is going to have every month for the rest of her life isn't a good start.
    Let her try and see how she gets on with the mini teen ones.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd say get her a pack of the mini teen ones and a pack of mini non-applicator ones, don't tell her anything about tampons meaning she can go in the pool (don't want to pile on the pressure), just tell her they're another option along with towels but that they take a bit of practice. If they work for her, then great, see would she like to wear them on the school trip. How much swimming is involved in the trip? Is it just a short part of the day? I definitely wouldn't advise letting her swim if it's heavy, if it was very light she might get away with it, but I think if she leaked down her leg or anything it'd be mortifying.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Its a genuine question, why wouldnt you allow her tampons? I dont understand the connection with her age either?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm guessing it's too late for this particular situation! But, if you were to have her trying tampons at the pool (or actually anywhere outside the house), make sure she has tried them out a few times at home first and is comfortable using them. It would be a bit crap if she was having difficulty changing it while away from home, and had to ask a teacher or fellow-student for help. Some people can insert them with no issues but then have trouble removing them, when the time comes.

I don't see any reason for her to use pads rather than tampons. Obviously it's down to personal choice, but I'd at least let her know the option is there if she wants to try it. My own mum had a "thing" about it too, I can't understand why. It's a normal biological function and tampons are, to many women, the easiest and cleanest way of dealing with it.

Advertisement