Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trainne accountant query

• 31-03-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Fcos ltd( an oursourced financial services company) based in the airport business park in cork are looking for a trainee accountant.

Does anyone know what is it like to work there?

Does anyone have any experiences working as a trainee accountant?

I am currently studying in this area and I'm wondering what experiences people have in real life practices?

What advice and experiences you can share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dumb Juan

Hi,

I have never worked for or heard of Fcos Ltd, so I cannot comment, google will be your friend :-) . I trained as an accountant through practice & I enjoyed the most of it. At the end of day it is a job & how much of you enjoy depends on you colleagues, how well you get on with your managers and the type of jobs you get to do. In the beginning there is a lot of boring repetitive tasks but as you & your skills progress you get more interesting tasks. Accountancy is very practical & some of what you study you will use in real life. Ultimately say ten to fifteen years from now when you get a more senior role, a lot of your role is dependent on your communication, analytic & negotiating skills, you will become more involved in the business and less 'number crunching'.

If you enjoy business, like hard work & happy to study & work simultaneously then training as accountant is an excellent background to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Thank you for the reply.

I am currently studying the accountant technician Ireland course and working as a collections manager in the contact centre industry.

I am worried though I wont be able to find to secure a position as a trainee accountant without being fully qualified/part qualified.

I am due to sit my 1st year exams in May but I am currently applying for roles as a trainee accountant(not many out there)

Do you know if it is even possible to get in the door of an accountant firm without a qualification behind me but just based on my work experience in collections etc while studying?

Part of the accountant technician course require's two years work experience.

What is your experience?

Hi,
    My experience is after sitting first year AAT ( while studying full time) exams, I got 3 months summer work & then went back to final AAT. I was unusual in that I got some experience before finishing my finals. After that I went to London for a year to work in accounting practice. I returned to college full time for ACCA, By time we had finished Penultimate level 90% had no work experience before setting out for the first role.
    Tbh I think you are in a good position, concentrate on passing exams & then get the qualifying experience. Majority of people struggle to pass exams but all those who pass do get the experience, so you should not worry

Sorry to answer your question, it is possible to get into practice without passing exams but it is unusual, most people get the exams & then get work.
    Your work experience will stand to you.

Advertisement