Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Apologies for being such a downer on the page the last month or so, just not picking up at all. Called a friend there just so maybe we could bitCh about some stuff or whatever for a few minutes. No such luck.. Feeling very alone here now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Got a shock of a call from home.. Neighbour drowned herself, I feel sick and also a bit of a whiner.. Hope she found peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Got a shock of a call from home.. Neighbour drowned herself, I feel sick and also a bit of a whiner.. Hope she found peace.

frightening call to get

Yeah it was, the suicide crisis in this country is out of control. And i still cannot see where or how this is changing.. Don't get me wrong Console, Aware, Pieta and all are good entities, and HSE frontline staff also want the best.. The real problem is a cohesive strategy i think. After hearing Galway/Roscommon are still working off a platform developed in 1984 i don't know how much improvement can be seen in the near future..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Sorry to hear about your neighbour :( Must have been a horrible shock for you. HOw are you now?

• Advertisement

stinkle wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your neighbour :( Must have been a horrible shock for you. HOw are you now?

It's playing on my mind a lot but i'm less rattled. Just feel bad she felt alone enough to do that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I haven't been able to eat the past two days, just water and smoking a lot. Too anxious to eat, but I don't know what I'm anxious of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

I had a panic attack pretty much after I had just sat down with my counselor earlier today.First I've had in ages,no reason for it either.Really freaked me out,and freaked her out a bit too.

Came home,cried lots (no apparent reason) went to the gym,came home and tried to sleep.Couldn't,and am now up and posting here.My head (and life) is a complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

sorry to hear that. fair play on going to the gym!

i've been having a horrible time sleeping lately. I find myself being jealous of people who can just go to bed and relax enough to sleep. I literally toss and turn for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Came home,cried lots (no apparent reason) went to the gym,came home and tried to sleep.Couldn't,and am now up and posting here.My head (and life) is a complete mess.

Sometimes things can just get too much. Hope you're feelings better now.
    crumlin j wrote: »
    I know people it's hard at times but never give up trying,my dad passed away ago a few months,it has a huge affect on me as I found my father dying,he had a massive heart attack at home on his own and he died in my arms,everyone has been through things in this life but please don't let it beat you

That sounds like a very rough experience. It's something I've been thinking about more and more lately as my father has some health issues.

• Advertisement

Crumlin j, really sorry to hear that, and thanks for the words of encouragement too.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

I'm sure that this has being discussed before but as a newbie I'm interested to know how many people have tried learning Qi Gong or Tai Chi as a means of helping them with their condition. I say this because I learn these arts myself and am interested in setting up a free class in my local area primarily because I see these as being more interesting exercise regimes than others and catering for all levels of fitness. As I said it would be interesting to me to hear of your experiences and I assure you I'm not soliciting for any business.

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    I'm sure that this has being discussed before but as a newbie I'm interested to know how many people have tried learning Qi Gong or Tai Chi as a means of helping them with their condition. I say this because I learn these arts myself and am interested in setting up a free class in my local area primarily because I see these as being more interesting exercise regimes than others and catering for all levels of fitness. As I said it would be interesting to me to hear of your experiences and I assure you I'm not soliciting for any business.

What part of the country are you in T?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

What part of the country are you in T?

I live on the northside of Dublin. But as I said I'm not really looking to solicit people from this site but rather to learn from them if they felt that the practice of these arts was of any benefit to them in alleviating them in them in their battle with depression. I have had my own problems with depression in the past and so I'm not a disinterested contributor. Although my idea to set up a free class is only at the conception stage, I am intent on developing a training program which will be suitable and useful to those people who I would see as benefiting most. I would look at training a Qi Gong set called Tai Chi Shibashi and maybe the 8 pieces of Silk Brocade.

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    I live on the northside of Dublin. But as I said I'm not really looking to solicit people from this site but rather to learn from them if they felt that the practice of these arts was of any benefit to them in alleviating them in them in their battle with depression. I have had my own problems with depression in the past and so I'm not a disinterested contributor. Although my idea to set up a free class is only at the conception stage, I am intent on developing a training program which will be suitable and useful to those people who I would see as benefiting most. I would look at training a Qi Gong set called Tai Chi Shibashi and maybe the 8 pieces of Silk Brocade.

I'm down the country unfortunately.

Sounds like a good training program though I must admit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I've been reading up and reckon Xanax could be good for me, particularly since I have a lot of stress coming up (big changes). Can I ask my doctor to prescribe it? In the past he's just recommended counselling and CBT- I've tried normal counselling and it didn't work for me, and CBT is totally out of my price range.

I've been reading up and reckon Xanax could be good for me, particularly since I have a lot of stress coming up (big changes). Can I ask my doctor to prescribe it? In the past he's just recommended counselling and CBT- I've tried normal counselling and it didn't work for me, and CBT is totally out of my price range.

You could suggest it to him sure, explain why you think its best.

Finally I managed to motivate enough this morning enough to go for a proper walk.. It even felt pretty good.. Next trick is to see if I can keep it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Xanax, a benzodiazapene, is addictive if taken for extended periods. Just be aware of that if you decide to ask your doctor to prescribe it.

Not your ornery onager

Finally I managed to motivate enough this morning enough to go for a proper walk.. It even felt pretty good.. Next trick is to see if I can keep it up a bit.

Thats good work, well done.

• Advertisement

It's a little thing but I'm proud enough of it.. Been a festering heap on the couch or bed for some time now. Have to try make it habitual now, once ingrained I should stay the course..

How are you Cloud?

Good attitude to have.

I'm alright, keeping going.

It's bloody fragile so trying not to think about or analyse it which is how I make dust of most things.. I hope things are going ok for people here, most of us seem to be on similar rollercoasters, the variation in moods is definitely the thing I find hardest to cope with..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CQC guy

Hi guys/gals, I'm Gary, 17 years old. Just stumbled across this thread and thought it could be a good opportunity to let it out a bit and just see if anyone could relate/help out. I'd really appreciate any time spent from anyone into reading this thing.
    So to begin, I guess i've been depressed since i was about 11 or 12. In hindsight, I now think the root cause of my isolation had primarily come from the amount of time i spent playing video games. It was a bit of an obsession at the time, and unfortunately it resulted in me becoming angry and anti-social. In primary school, as the years rolled on, i became gradually worse and my friends kind of drifted apart until i was left with only two close friends who thankfully stuck with me till the end.
    The start of secondary was rough for me. I was bullied by a couple people in the first year for being overly quiet, and i made one of the worst decisions of my life to tackle that problem. I attacked one of those individuals. In the end, i got away with it because i explained that it was just a snap from the amount of exposure i had to bullying from that person.
    Luckily for me, a couple kids from primary that i knew reasonably well had gone to the same secondary school with me, so i settled into quite a large group of guys with them. Of course, i was the quiet guy in the group with not much to say and a foul temper. However, one of the guys in that particular group had grabbed my attention, and the next year i chose to bully that person as means of communicating to him without feeling nervous. Now that i analyse the reason why i bullied him, i think it may of been because i am confused about my sexuality, and i had feelings for him which i felt i could not express for my own sake. Also, even just thinking of the fact that i may be gay upset me further, as i felt i didn't belong.
    So to put it bluntly, i became a bully. It killed me on the inside every time i upset him because ultimately i wanted to be his friend, but i couldn't behave normally around him. As years rolled on, i deteriorated dramatically. I not only bullied him, but the others in the group also. I became the guy that no-one wanted to be around. I had so much self-hate at the time, i didn't ****ing care what people thought of me anymore. I'd push people out of my way and not even care.
    To make a long story short, eventually these guys decided to cut me out. They started avoiding me, and refusing to talk to me. It went on for a number of weeks, and as a result of my confusion and anger at them, i snapped and lashed out at my best friend. Resulted in me getting expelled, and i lost contact with all of them. All of my friends, gone, and it's all my fault. Took me a while to come to that conclusion, but what goes around comes around, and i see that now.
    Because i'm a reasonably smart kid, and respectful to teachers and the authority, i was very kindly transferred to a new school by the head, and he chose not to mark the expulsion on my record.
    So, three months go by. This time, i'm completely friendless. I had nothing to do, and i wasted my days away once again feeling sorry for myself. I would often just find myself looking blankly into space thinking about how ****ed everything was for me. Started seeing a shrink and taking meds that did nothing for me. Needless to say, those months were, by far, the worst of my life.
    I get into this new school, and me being me, i struggle to make new friends for quite some time. Eventually i settle down with a small group of about four others. I don't really gel with them that much, but it's something. Keeps me sane. The thing is, this year, (one year after i got expelled), i feel like i've changed a whole lot. Hooked up with old friends, I'm able to just talk to people and let conversation flow, i'm now head of a band, and a few weeks ago i jumped out of an airplane at 10,000 feet for charity. I feel like i've made a dramatic turn around. The cloud has lifted from my head. I no longer waste my time procrastinating, instead i focus on being productive!
    I often wonder what happened.. how i just magically felt better. I have no detailed explanation for you other than, something just seemed to click into place when i woke up some morning. Weird, but true. Positive thinking is the way to go i've realized. Be confident that you can do what you want. In a few weeks, i'm going to the houses of everyone i fell out with to make a formal and sincere apology, face to face. I feel its the right thing to do.
    If you're, by any chance, falling out with someone right now or holding a grudge for something, but you want it to end, just apologize for it and leave the past rest. Jump the fence and leave the past be the past. It's time for a fresh start.
    Now that i have a clear mind and i can fully reflect, i just want to tell you that life is too short to waste being unhappy. Enjoy the little things in life and do the things you want to do. It's not too late to turn your life around right now. Do what i did, and just focus on the positives. Accept your mistakes and own up to them. Take responsibility for your actions, and make up for them when you do wrong. Learn from your mistakes so that you can do better the next time. I know not what will happen when i see my old friends again when it comes to apologizing, but i'll just be proud of myself no matter what happens, because ultimately i would of done the right thing.
    So that's pretty much what i have to say. I really appreciate it if you've actually read it, and i hope that it has helped or been of use in any way. Also i'd love if you could give some feedback. Thank you very much! - Gary.

Gary, after reading that and pondering for a bit mostly my feedback would be praise for how much you managed to turn things around.. You lived through a lot in a short period but seem at this point to have a wise head on your shoulders.
    The fact that you are going back to apologise to old friends, come what may, is admirable. It's your own unique story and I hope that the strength that brought you through to this point remains with you.
    That's just my two cent..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Rough patch atm. Bit manic, doctor time me thinks.

Rough patch atm. Bit manic, doctor time me thinks.

Fair f*cks to you for recognisingdoctor time.. In my mania I rarely do.. I think I'm great and end up bankrupting myself plus wrecking myself emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Gary I found it very interesting. I was bullied during secondary school , starting in first year and often wondered about what would happen if I had just attacked one of my bullies at the start. So gave me some food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Fair f*cks to you for recognisingdoctor time.. In my mania I rarely do.. I think I'm great and end up bankrupting myself plus wrecking myself emotionally.

They are seeming me Thursday and I have some Largactil in the cabinet and they told me take some until then 3 times a day. They are understaffed and overworked so being seen on Thursday is a Godsend.

• Advertisement

They are seeming me Thursday and I have some Largactil in the cabinet and they told me take some until then 3 times a day. They are understaffed and overworked so being seen on Thursday is a Godsend.

Good to hear.. :) Sorry for delay in reply, was off being a bit manic for myself, seem to have grounded a little now.

How are you feeling?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement