Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorola Droid Razr

• 23-11-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭

So anyone else got this? I got it last week sim free from Handtec. The Galaxy Nexus was tempting me away. They are both fairly evenly matched hardware wise but I'm not too fussed about ICS and the Razr's looks won out in the end.

I can't imagine too many other people in Ireland got this as it is not carried by any of the networks here and Motorola Android phones are few and far between anyway. Its a shame because they have been making some great Android phones over the last couple of years.

If anyone is wondering whether it is worth getting I would most definitely say yes. If you had asked me that 2 days after I got it though I would of said no! There was a few little bugs with it that I now have ironed out.

Screen is amazing (Apparently it is pentile but I've still to figure out what that is supposed to look like and why its bad?). Compared to the HTC Desire it is stunning! Overall responsiveness is brilliant, havent seen any lag or slowness. Camera seems grand but I havent taken many pics. Battery seems to have gotten better since the first few charges. Getting around two full days of moderate usage.
    Only downside so far is wi-fi seems to weaker compared to my old Desire which is a bit disappointing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jargarbo

Hi there! Have you had a hands on with Galaxy Nexus? Just want to compare between the 2 which one feels good on hands. I know Droid seems to to be built to last and that what makes me want to have it more than the Nexus. Thing is none of the carriers brought it over here which is pathetic! Any other gripes that you can share about the Droid Razr?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Nope haven't actually seen a Galaxy Nexus in the flesh so can't really compare. The Razr feels quite big(wide) though and I would consider my hands pretty big. I don't have any major gripes with the phone, there are a few small things but they wouldn't be deal breakers for me. No FM Radio, Wi-fi reception can be weak, alarm is a bit flaky (Doesn't go off sometimes but I've got alarm clock plus now which seems more reliable), the 3G on/off widget will periodically disappear from my home screen and the only way to get it back is to reset the home screen to default or wait until it comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Screen is amazing (Apparently it is pentile but I've still to figure out what that is supposed to look like and why its bad?).

There's nothing bad about PenTile screens; it's just a layout geometry that is advantageous for certain types of subpixel rendering. The only controversy is that because of the way resolution is counted and the way the pixel groups are laid out, a given resolution (1280*720 or whatever) PenTile screen will have fewer physical pixels than an ordinary RGB screen at the same resolution.

This allows Samsung (who make PenTile screens) to claim certain resolutions, like say 720P, when the screen is incapable of a physical one-to-one mapping of 720P source pixel to physical pixel. I wouldn't worry about it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I went for my phone aswell because no carriers here are doing my phone and well obviously I liked it. Don't know much about your phone tbh. Had a quick google and it seems like a grand phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Just ordered a Razr Maxx. Can. Not. Wait. Whooop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056660292

Just came up on BA, the original Razr for about €310 delivered, decent value I guess..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

manual_man wrote: »
    Just ordered a Razr Maxx. Can. Not. Wait. Whooop!

Hey how is it working out for you ?

I'm thinking of getting one as a HTC Desire replacement.

That battery life very much appeals!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Hi,

Bumping up an old thread...sorry...but how is this phone "Motorola Droid Razr" working out for you?

I am tempted to get it purely for the battery life and root it and install a CyanogenMod ROM on it.

Thanks!

Funny you should ask, I gave it to the wife a few months ago when I got the Nexus 4. It died last week, basically it won't charge or turn on. Probably could get it going again if I dismantled it and check the battery connections but not really bothered. Might try and sell it to someone who wants to try and fix it. Anyway I wouldn't recommend getting one unless you are getting it for dirt cheap, I was never really that happy with it. If you're talking about battery life though maybe you mean the Droid Razr Maxx? The Droid Razr was never renowned for its battery life?

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, probably was the Droid Razr Maxx - will check it out on a few websites.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/motorola-razr-maxx-black.html

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S3 but want a phone with really good battery life. If I can root it and install a CyanogenMod ROM or alternative then all the better.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

There was actually a new Droid Razr Maxx announced yesterday if that makes any difference to you?

There was actually a new Droid Razr Maxx announced yesterday if that makes any difference to you?

Yep saw that. Will keep any eye. Waiting to see what the new Moto X will be like on Aug 1st as well.

It's all good these new phones, new versions of software etc. But I would like something with good battery life.

Cheers bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

laoisfan wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, probably was the Droid Razr Maxx - will check it out on a few websites.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/motorola-razr-maxx-black.html

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S3 but want a phone with really good battery life. If I can root it and install a CyanogenMod ROM or alternative then all the better.

Cheers!

Maybe get the bumper battery that can be got for the s3, there's a thread here somewhere about it

Advertisement