Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chiropractor

• 14-06-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Hey hurt my back sleeping akwardly during the week and was wondering did anyone know a good chiropractor in the templeogue area

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Stay clear of chiropractors, they are nowhere near as good as a physio. I had really bad back problems and the chiro never fixed it properly, just short term relief. A few visits to the physio OTOH has me fixed ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭toggle

Dyflin wrote: »
    Stay clear of chiropractors, they are nowhere near as good as a physio. I had really bad back problems and the chiro never fixed it properly, just short term relief. A few visits to the physio OTOH has me fixed ever since.

You really shouldn't make generalisation like that against a whole profession, I can understand that you didn't get the results that you wished from the one chiropractor you saw.
    Like the majority of professions there are good and bad.

Word of mouth or a personal recommendation is the best way to find a chiropractor, physio,osteopath,sports therapist etc ,that would be my advice for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

i was going to go to a physio but my mam said its a Chiropractor i should go to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭toggle

i was going to go to a physio but my mam said its a Chiropractor i should go to

Here's a link to the dublin based chiropractors through the Chiropractic association of Ireland.

I would ask friends and family who to see, also check out clinic websites if they are listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

thanks for the link toggle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

toggle wrote: »
    You really shouldn't make generalisation like that against a whole profession, I can understand that you didn't get the results that you wished from the one chiropractor you saw.
    Like the majority of professions there are good and bad.

Word of mouth or a personal recommendation is the best way to find a chiropractor, physio,osteopath,sports therapist etc ,that would be my advice for the OP.

While I agree with your "generalisations" point, people should also be allowed to comment on their own experiences.

I for one would not go to a chiropractor because

1.) My father went to one around 10 years ago and the "professional" mis-diagnosed the problem and crushed nerves in my dad's spine resulting in serious back surgery and now he walks with a constant limp and requires a device on his leg to even get around.

From that "personal" recommendation, I wouldn't risk it.

2.) Recently, a scientist in the U.K. (Simon Singh) disputed claims made by a chiropractor in a peer-reviewed article. The Chiropractor claimed that it could be used to treat such things as earache in children.
    The scientist in question replied saying this was basically nonsense and, for those comments is being sued by the British Chiropractic Association.

For me, Chiropractors are heading into the realms of homeopathy with those sorts of ridiculous claims. Of course, that's not to say that any chiropractors here align themselves with those views.

(Incidently, a well known homeopathy practitioner also sued under Britain's libel laws when someone publicly questioned his (public) claims that homeopathy could be used to treat AIDS)

Advertisement