Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The new Nintendo console.

Options
  • 14-01-2004 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Any guesses as to what it's going to be?

Satoru Iwata described it as "heterogenous" which urged a friend of mine to tell me "factually" that it would be capable of playing games from all consoles. That, or just someone was making a console that could play all games. Regardless, in the words of Mr. Iwata:
    "...we want to offer a gameplay experience which players haven't encountered until now..."
    "The situation won't change if we keep expanding in a conventional way"
    "...this is the year when we'll join the fight in earnest with this new product".

My guess is retro, but that'd be some crazy failure. It's Nintendo, so I'll buy it, even if I don't take it out of the box but one sell isn't going to float a multi-million dollar company. After all this time though, wouldn't it be great if they won out in the end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The only time ive heard hetreogenous used is in Multi Architecture systems, cross platform would be a good way to describe it. You could also argue this can be achieved by having a console play DVD`s + CD`s as opposed to games.

Deffo something to keep an eye on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=54253

unless i've missed some vital nugget of news, this isn't neccesarily going to be a new console.

a proper follow up to the cube with backwards compatability and dvd playback would be nice though:)
    (then again, i like the fact that the cube is nothing other than a dedicated games machine...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Isn't there a rumour that they may team up with microsoft?

I know they will both use ATI graphics and IBM processors in their next consoles.
    But I'm not sure if Nintendo would be keen on it.
    Still you never know, stranger things have happened.
    It could help Nintendo get a bigger slice in the US and Microsoft a piece of the Japanese market.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I cant see a microsoft/nintendo deal happening, but its far more plausable than either company doing a deal with sony (not to mention that sony wouldnt be bothered/have any need to do that).

what you said about helping each other out in their home territories is true, but i cant imagine how they would do this without damaging their own sales (unless the collaboration is a machine between the two companies)/

I imagine the only deal Gates would like to do with nintendo would be a buy-out.

Flogen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And Bill Gates didn't get to where he is now by signing cheques :D

What I've heard is that the only solid information about it is that it will be handheld. Nintendo are saying it will be different from the conventional consoles. In what way I don't know. We'll find out in May at E3 it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd be willing to be money that it's the iQue which has recently been launched in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by goo
    Regardless, in the words of Mr. Iwata:
    "...we want to offer a gameplay experience which players haven't encountered until now..."
    "The situation won't change if we keep expanding in a conventional way"
    "...this is the year when we'll join the fight in earnest with this new product".
    translates as:

we have nothing to show you yet, all we are doing is starting some hype to generate interest for the next console war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Interestingly enough Nintendo are working on 2 new consoles by the looks of things, the handheld one your all on about, set to be unveiled at one of the game conventions next year, and the N5, the gamecubes successor which probably won't see light till 2005.

Edit: Put 3 in by accident, sorry.

thats only two machines

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Yeah, I read ANOTHER eurogamer article. It made it very clear that the mystery machine was going to be a transtitional console, not even transitional, just completely separate to the SNES-N64-GAMECUBE line. Then, it also has a lot of very strong hints about it being "for everyone" and "easily accessible" meaning, basically, that eye-toy really has stung Nintendo.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by flogen
    I cant see a microsoft/nintendo deal happening, but its far more plausable than either company doing a deal with sony (not to mention that sony wouldnt be bothered/have any need to do that).

heh, makes you wonder what kind of state the games industry would be in right now if sony & nintendo hadn't gone their seperate ways:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by super_furry
    I'd be willing to be money that it's the iQue which has recently been launched in China.

I'd have to second that.

anyone got a link for this iQue??

Flogen

Originally posted by monument
    I'd have to second that.

I don't agree tbh. The iQue doesn't seem to match the Ninty blurb that's been released about this new product. It's a nice system and I'm gonna get one if I can, but I doubt it's the new product. Which means my typo could be right after all. There may be 3 Ninty products in the works:

1. The iQue, which I believe is out in China already.

2. The N5, codename for the Gamecube's succesor

3. The sekrit one this thread is on about that'll be unveiled at E3 by all accounts.

Link to iQue by the way: here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by goo
    Satoru Iwata described it as "heterogenous" which urged a friend of mine to tell me "factually" that it would be capable of playing games from all consoles.
    heterogenous: Variant of heterogeneous. Not arising within the body; derived from another individual or species: a heterogenous bone transplant.

heterogeneous: Completely different; incongruous.

Mr Iwata is presumably saying it'll be unlike anything we've seen before. And he's been taken over by the marketing department drones if he's using buzz words like that in announcements

Originally posted by sceptre
    Mr Iwata is presumably saying it'll be unlike anything we've seen before. And he's been taken over by the marketing department drones if he's using buzz words like that in announcements
    nintendo have a marketing department?

so the iQue is basically the N64 in a controller.....
    I cant imagine them using an old (and poor performing) console as their next generation of gaming... given the high quality that should be expected from the ps3 and xbox2

just abit off-topic, but has the xbox gone into profit yet?

Flogen

The iQue was never supposed to be Nintendo's next gen console. It's just another console/idea they're selling. Nor is the console this thread is about going to be the Gamecube's successor. That's another project entirely, codenamed N5, which probably won't see the light of day till 2005.

Originally posted by flogen
    so the iQue is basically the N64 in a controller.....
    I cant imagine them using an old (and poor performing) console as their next generation of gaming... given the high quality that should be expected from the ps3 and xbox2

Unlike the name of this thread, I don't think they said their next console (this year), but new hardware??? - May they will, as MS as now reported to be showing the Xbox 2 at E3, again - ???

Any way, Iwata is a good one for quotes -Iwata – ‘Games have stopped selling’

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    The iQue was never supposed to be Nintendo's next gen console. It's just another console/idea they're selling. Nor is the console this thread is about going to be the Gamecube's successor. That's another project entirely, codenamed N5, which probably won't see the light of day till 2005.

Hmm, some how I completely missed you post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement