Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Roscommon brushed Sligo aside to win their 2nd Connacht U-21 title in three years how do you guys think they will fare vs Tyrone or Cavan in the All Ireland semi final?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Roscommon brushed Sligo aside to win their 2nd Connacht U-21 title in three years how do you guys think they will fare vs Tyrone or Cavan in the All Ireland semi final?

We've the players to beat either, but Cavan are no slouches at u21 and Tyrone's minor record is exemplary. A better performance in the middle and we'll be very hard for either to stop.

I said before a ball was kicked that the Connacht champions should have only one goal; to win the All-Ireland. Such was the talent in the province at u21 this year. Nothing has changed.

connachtu211.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

This bunch are a very talented group of players, all of whom seem to be very comfortable on the ball and play a very organised, fast-moving, disciplined and efficient game.

The one glaring weakness, which was also evident in the Mayo game, is the almost non-existant ability to win kickouts - that's in the air or the breaking ball.
    It's a very serious problem and was the minors Achille's heel last year. I appreciate the two midfielders are not fielders, but their inability to disrupt the opponent's fielders is worrying.

Despite that, virtually every other aspect of their game is impressive and they will be a handful for either Tyrone or Cavan in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Anyone know where the semi final will be held?

Hasn't been announced yet, but surely Pearse Park will be in the running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭forfcksake

megadodge wrote: »
    Hasn't been announced yet, but surely Pearse Park will be in the running.
    In longford alright, at 4 next sat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Really looking forward to seeing how this Roscommon Under 21 team performs against Cavan. They look like they have the potential to get to the final if they can play to their strengths on Saturday.

Great to see two teams from weaker counties competing in this Semi Final - it means such a huge amount there to win even a provincial final. Just a pity the Under 21 competition doesn't get the publicity it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

The picture above looks like there was very little support at the Connacht final.. Or is it just the angle it's taken from?

I'm a Cavan man and I think Roscommon will be our toughest opponents to date. Longford has been a graveyard for Cavan underage sides too which doesn't help. Cavan will rely on keeping things very tight at the back and won't want to get involved in a shootout.

If the Rossies beat us (and I have a funny feeling they might just do that) I hope they go on and win it. Best of luck to both teams.

The picture above looks like there was very little support at the Connacht final.. Or is it just the angle it's taken from?

I'm a Cavan man and I think Roscommon will be our toughest opponents to date. Longford has been a graveyard for Cavan underage sides too which doesn't help. Cavan will rely on keeping things very tight at the back and won't want to get involved in a shootout.

If the Rossies beat us (and I have a funny feeling they might just do that) I hope they go on and win it. Best of luck to both teams.

Just the angle. There was in the region of 5k at the Hyde, huge appetite for underage football in the county. I'll post another picture I took that shows the crowd in front of Paddy Brogan (our captain) better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Syferus wrote: »
    Just the angle. There was in the region of 5k at the Hyde, huge appetite for underage football in the county.

That's the way to success, fair play.

• Advertisement

connachtu212.jpg

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's the way to success, fair play.

Yeah, I think everyone has come to appreciate how important it is to have solid under-age structures in places after winning the 2006 Minor All-Ireland. We don't win titles every year but there's hardly been a year where we have been very competitive at under-age. It's all the workd down at the local clubs nad by schools coaches that are paying dividends now. Hopefully the examples of Cavan, Tipp and ourselves have helped show there's a way forward for other smaller counties to be more than doormats to larger counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Biggest factor in the relative success recntly has been the opportunity of players from less prominent clubs to get invlved and show their wares over a period of time. Wherehow, as before lads got one or if lucky 2 trial games to catch the eye now they can et involved and show their talent over an extended period.

Re: todays game I think Ros will struggle around the middle to get enough possession. Havent seen a team yet but looking at c shine v. sligo i have my doubts if he can operate for a full game out there. the carty/kelly pairing got cleaned out in the sligo game ad only brilliant games by brogan and kilroy papered over the cracks,and i suspect brogan in particular will be busier today than he was against a poor sligo outfit.

anyhoo, its a positive to be in an AI semifinal and who knows what will happen on the day....Dineen has proven himself to be wily operator on the pitch over the years and hopefully he can continue to progress as a manager/coach by reaching an AI final

Go on the Rossies! A rematch of last years semi final in the final this year.

Great win for Ros today.

Outside of the first 10 minutes or so I though Roscommon were definitely the better team.

The most pleasing aspect of all was the dominance of midfield for virtually three quarters of the game. Cathal Shine was excellent here until he naturally tired towards the end. The winning of the breaking ball was also improved upon massively and this monopoly of possession was really the platform for the overall success.

The backs as a unit performed wonderfully. They managed to keep Cavan outside of that dangerous 30-35m radius without fouling for almost the entire game.

I felt the forwards could have shown from deep a little more, so the freekicks etc. from the half-back area at least had the option of a long ball into space in front of them, instead of having to always play it short and tight. Of course some of the long balls in the second half were poorly delivered, but overall a very good performance from Roscommon.

Great to see Cathal Shine back starting. He really helped us in the middle and had some very good runs of his own with some sweet off-loading. His kick passes were a bit wayward but he had the vision to see the passes, the touch will return with more game-time. The perfect moment for him to be returning, he should be a huge help in stopping Dublin muscling us out in the middle.

Any idea when the final will be and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

match is set for saturday 2 weeks may 5th, where hasn't been announced yet but portlaoise seems the obvious choice, the other option being tullamore i suppose

Congratulations to Roscommon on a great victory yesterday. A great achievement for Nigel Dineen and delighted for him after all he has contributed to the county.

These are a solid bunch of players and while Dublin will be raging hot favourites, they won't get it easy. We are ready for revenge for 2 years ago in the Semi.

The lack of respect being shown to Roscommon (and Cavan) in the media will be another thing to spur us on. The Dublin/Cork game was shown on TG4 despite the Roscommon/Cavan game being the more novel pairing and more worthy of pubicity. Even the official website of the GAA can't go as far as naming the teams in the Cavan/Roscommon game - the report is about a third of the length of the Dublin one.

Good luck lads in the Final - we all know about ye in Roscommon - even if ye are a secret outside of the county:D:D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

wow sierra wrote: »
    Congratulations to Roscommon on a great victory yesterday. A great achievement for Nigel Dineen and delighted for him after all he has contributed to the county.

These are a solid bunch of players and while Dublin will be raging hot favourites, they won't get it easy. We are ready for revenge for 2 years ago in the Semi.

The lack of respect being shown to Roscommon (and Cavan) in the media will be another thing to spur us on. The Dublin/Cork game was shown on TG4 despite the Roscommon/Cavan game being the more novel pairing and more worthy of pubicity. Even the official website of the GAA can't go as far as naming the teams in the Cavan/Roscommon game - the report is about a third of the length of the Dublin one.

Good luck lads in the Final - we all know about ye in Roscommon - even if ye are a secret outside of the county:D:D:D;)

Maybe the media are hyping up Dublin a bit too much, but no disrespect, as a neutral I would have chosen the Dublin v Cork game to show also...and as it turned out it was a far better game. No idea why you would think the Ros v Cavan game is "more worthy of publicity" either?

Anyway, good to see a Roscommon team in an All Ireland final and hope ye put it up to the jackeens.

• Advertisement

Maybe the media are hyping up Dublin a bit too much, but no disrespect, as a neutral I would have chosen the Dublin v Cork game to show also...and as it turned out it was a far better game. No idea why you would think the Ros v Cavan game is "more worthy of publicity" either?

Anyway, good to see a Roscommon team in an All Ireland final and hope ye put it up to the jackeens.

The Roscommon/Cavan game was ten times the game Cork/Dublin was, that was a game of Dublin scoring a couple quick goals and then sitting back and grinding down Cork. Some of the best defensive play that's been seen all year was on display in Pearse Park, not even mentioning the fact it was a far better atmosphere and fact it came down to the very last minute of the game.

The Roscommon/Cavan game was ten times the game Cork/Dublin was, that was a game of Dublin scoring a couple quick goals and then sitting back and grinding down Cork. Some of the best defensive play that's been seen all year was on display in Pearse Park, not even mentioning the fact it was a far better atmosphere and fact it came down to the very last minute of the game.

I don't know how the previous poster knows how good or bad the Roscommon/Cavan game was anyway - given that no one saw it except those of us who were in Pearse Pk.

I am really disappointed not to be able to see any coverage of it anywhere because I want to relive it. The only thing RTE showed was the second Ross goal - the first was a brilliantly worked score and a great feat by Conor Daly both setting up and finishing the move. There is a short highlights show on TG4 at 8.30 tomorrow night so maybe see a bit then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Was'nt the Cavan v Ros shown on tg4 yesterday? It may be available on their player.

Was'nt the Cavan v Ros shown on tg4 yesterday? It may be available on their player.

Yeah it was streamed live on the website but doesn't seem to be available on the player now. Maybe it is just a delay in uploading it - hopefully it will be available tomorrow. Not sure.

Found the highlights eventually - you have to scroll through 2 hours plus of the hurling coverage (in about 5 separate clips:( )to find the highlights but at least its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

No idea why you would think the Ros v Cavan game is "more worthy of publicity" either?
    Read Malachy Clerkin's article here.

Excellent article by Clerkin. Really gets to the heart of the story - two of the least populated counties languishing in Div 3 without an All Ireland senior between them in 60 years but with great underage structures brushing aside the Mayos and the Tyrones on the way etc etc.

You have to take your hat off to occasional good journalism :D

:rolleyes: Eh, ok. Lets just agree to disagree then.

Now that I think about it, in fairness, you're right...the Cavan v Ros game was more novel as a fixture than Dublin v Cork and should have got a bit more attention if only to highlight the consistently good work being done at underage in both county's.
    Cavan will be disappointed with their performance on Saturday, but with Ulster winning minors coming through they should have good years ahead at this grade in the near future still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Lads, the only reason that the Cavan v Rossie game wasn't broadcast live was down to the fact that the NHL1 replay coincided with it and it's hardly surprising that TG4 would show Galway given that they're based there.

There is a possibility that the final could be played in Croker as the undercard to the NHL1 final but personally, I hope it's a stand alone game.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: Eh, ok. Lets just agree to disagree then.

Did you actually watch the game?

Advertisement