Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

CORKDOUBLE wrote: »
    Anyone of our experts at the football games today ....real in depth coverage of the hurling games ....please the same on the football lads ...thanks in advance.......
    Can't be at two places at once double

Group stages corn mhuire most cork teams qualify so its the knock out games one watch

Anyone at football today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Breadandbutter

Enlighten me please how a 1998 team are eligible for minor
    We are in 2014
    To break it down that's a sixteen year gap

I don't think these minors played in 98 realistically at any age

Unfortunately I have to correct you you are wrong to say kingston is the most talented minor in cork

Tim o mahony is just as talented and I'm aware you probably don't have much interest in teams out side the city so I will enlighten you with my knowledge

Tim o mahony has been outstanding I'm the harty cup and 21 championship and played senior for newtown, that's in North cork by the way

He played senior and came on as a sub v na piarssigh and had brilliant Darren mannix in trouble

He's equal to kingston a super talent

Also looney is going to be cork senior and had performed for aghada at intermediate

Halloran is just as equal as kingston

You are talking nononese of the highest order if you think the u17 tournament is meaningless

Limerick didn't think so when lot fringe minors like Byrnes houlian and Boylan were allowed played in it in lead up the minor final

Yes a lot cork and limerick lad's missed it due other games but it's treated seriously so much so kilkenny brought a star studded team even without minors down and had both john power and dj Carey sons involved
    Through years Cork dominate it but never win minor simply as coaches at minor were not there to follow on the progress

That will change now
    I know from talking to coaches clare, KK,,etc they value the tournament
    It's in need of some tweaking but huge value to underage hurling

Have you been sent to your room again?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Anyone care to predict the starting minor hurling team in the championship?

Can all these lads be accommodated, i.e., Kingston, O'Halloran, Looney, Beusang, O'Mahony?

Have you been sent to your room again?

Look is that best you can
    Childish behaviour
    This thread has grown hughely recently due to elite posting, not just like what you just posted

Can you debate a point

Typical when a lad is outdebatred he gets in topic off gaa

Sure why don't attack my grammar like last time

Stick points debate you only show yourself up with respect when you resort off topic gaa

I asked a question how can a minor team 1998 play now as you stated
    I also proved as brilliant as Shane kingston is he's not the best talent in county he has equals

I also proved clearly u17 highly regarded in underage hurling

You make comments that don't add up yet you throw your toys out of the pram old Sport when questioned

You tried to convince all sundry in harty cup thread winning for Castletroy was superb for Ag mhuire as it opened a door for cork school with out actually realising it closed the door on colmans if they won more or less

Its nothing personal, I had to expose purely in posting that was nonense as any cork fans reading that we must try and give accurate info where possible and the win by doon was brilliant for cork schools not one but two cork schools that you forgot

Im not going tit for tat with you this thread deserves better but look you make a point, it's challenged and proven wrong try debating it.
    The points I raised you fail to reply to but go off in different tangent as you cant answer

Like please explain if you can how a minor team of 1998 has relevance to minor championship.
    Maybee I'm missing something, tell me where I'm going wrong.
    Thanks in advance.
    If your adamant on point kingston for example Is best in cork fair enough but give evidence why you feel he's better than o mahony, looney etc
    When you back up points with correlation fact posts are imo appreciated more.
    Seventh magnificent last post good example for you to follow.
    He's views are different but he made points where imo valid point you tend to say he has reason here
    A great poster challenges a view.
    You will earn more respect sticking to gaa in posts than just your last one line dig at me .

Great questions Mikasa

It's hugely competive and choosing the balance is like trying to choose between Glenda gilson, Georgia salpa, lesley turner or celia holman lee, impossible to choose between which one you would ask out for a dance.

My team as of now depending on form etc could change

Declan dalton.  fr o.neills
    David griifin carriglaine
    Ian cahill cloyne
    Seadna smith midelton
    Donal english sarsfields
    Chris o leary valley rovers
    Darragh o brien Killeagh

Midfield
    Bill hennessey st finbarrs old christian
    Butty mccarthy midelton cbs carrigtwohill

Forwards
    Cormack rockies
    Shane kingston Douglas
    Robbie flynn eirins own
    Dan gunning na piarssigh
    Michael halloran rockies
    John looney aghada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

Any new club managers coaches confirmed for next year. A lot of clubs looking out. Ballyhae Erin's Own Carrigtwohill Na Pairsaigh Bride Rovers

Any new club managers coaches confirmed for next year. A lot of clubs looking out. Ballyhae Erin's Own Carrigtwohill Na Pairsaigh Bride Rovers

Walsh going Killeagh apparently
    Crowley to Castlyons
    Newton looking for a coach

Ballyhea set up committe to get one
    A major city club are looking for outside manager also rebel

Eirins own are trying get Brian cocranan involved more coaching underage even minor etc
    It remains be seen if he has interest
    Brother john with minors

Walsh going Killeagh apparently
    Crowley to Castlyons
    Newton looking for a coach

Ballyhea set up committe to get one
    A major city club are looking for outside manager also rebel

Eirins own are trying get Brian cocranan involved more coaching underage even minor etc
    It remains be seen if he has interest
    Brother john with minors

Which Crowley is that.

Which Crowley is that.

Lad with Dublin gdo now in cork
    Up in Dublin for Seven years top top coach

He done lot minors dublin also with boland etc
    I apologise I get confused so many crowley coaches regards ist names

Lad with Dublin gdo now in cork
    Up in Dublin for Seven years top top coach

He done lot minors dublin also with boland etc
    I apologise I get confused so many crowley coaches regards ist names

Sean Crowley. He coached killeagh last year. IMO clubs should try and stay in house for coaches and managers where possible.

• Advertisement

Sean Crowley. He coached killeagh last year. IMO clubs should try and stay in house for coaches and managers where possible.

I agree totally in they should be cork men in we have huge coaches, in house I disagree to an extent as take some clubs they need outside man with no ego or connection to club to change ways

Going outside managers outside cork is madness imo and some have more money than sense

Some clubs get in coaches in cork also that are woeful proven by appalling records

I can't understand logic why a top top city club is looking for outside manager and they considering all things in club would be better keeping it local and save their money

Carrigtwohill no surprise are looking for a coach

Ronan dwayne fine at schools but he's record is actually poor in senior management at clubs and imo shouldn't got cork intermediate job however the guys with him may save the day as their good however it does depend on how much input they have

Roman sheehan to be fair is top top gaa man good reader of the game and two boys last year were good also
    But we can't judge ronan next year in he's field bran new team which is a joke of a rule imo

If anyone wants teams for today munster final I post them if there's appetite for it..

A lot of clubs have more money than sense. To be realistic only a few clubs have a chance of winning a county. Why pay big money to outside coaches to just compete. I know of one senior club paying €120 a session to a coach and having no realistic chance of winning the county title. Any rumours on the minor coach for next year.

A lot of clubs have more money than sense. To be realistic only a few clubs have a chance of winning a county. Why pay big money to outside coaches to just compete. I know of one senior club paying €120 a session to a coach and having no realistic chance of winning the county title. Any rumours on the minor coach for next year.
    And that is cheap in I know one coach who charged between 150 to 200 a night when he's with teams and imo if I was club chairman I wouldn't have him near my junior c team in he's record is no way near standard success wise

No news on minor I wouldn't be surprised if dwyer got it and they just four in tewm

Ring may appoint some one who knows
    Either way he won't do the fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CORKDOUBLE

Did i hear somewhere that Anthony Rainbow is coming to Glanmire / Sarsfields ?

Your joking me???

Makes no sense if true but wouldn't surprise me with sarsfields just type club do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

That's Newbridge Sarsfields.

As of this time this would be my football team for starting in 2015.....
    David Hanrahan
    Michael Sheilds Eoin Cadogan Noel Galvin
    Brian O Driscoll Tomas Clancy { Clon} James Loughrey
    Ian Maguire Sean Kiely
    Paul Kerrigan Paddy Kelly John O Rourke
    Donncha O Connor Colm O Neill Brian Hurley.........

subs....Ken O Halloron, Conor Dorman, Kevin Crowley, Sean White, Tomas Clancy {Fermoy}, Stephen Cronin, Alan Cronin, Fintan Goold, Sean Dineen, Ruari Deane , Michael O Laoire, Daniel Goulding, Mark Collins, Barry O Driscoll, Colm O Driscoll, Donal Og Hodnett, Dan McEoin, Mark Sugrue, Cathal Vaughan......Stephen O Donoughue, Conor O Sullivan and Padraigh Hodnett.....i would have the following players on the extended panel to give them experience.....Kevin Flahive, Cian Kiely, Brian Coakley, Sean O Donoughue and Michael Hurley.......

Well done to Clonakilty CC and Rocherstown for making the Q-finals of the Corn Ui Mhuiri .....tough luck on Chroist Ri who only lost by a point .....

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

Well done to Clonakilty CC and Rocherstown for making the Q-finals of the Corn Ui Mhuiri .....tough luck on Chroist Ri who only lost by a point .....

They led by seven early in the second half though

If they won they would have made the quarters ....what a pity it would have been 3 Cork and 4 Kerry ..now its 5 Kerry and 2 Cork !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Great questions Mikasa

It's hugely competive and choosing the balance is like trying to choose between Glenda gilson, Georgia salpa, lesley turner or celia holman lee, impossible to choose between which one you would ask out for a dance.

My team as of now depending on form etc could change

Declan dalton.  fr o.neills
    David griifin carriglaine
    Ian cahill cloyne
    Seadna smith midelton
    Donal english sarsfields
    Chris o leary valley rovers
    Darragh o brien Killeagh

Midfield
    Bill hennessey st finbarrs old christian
    Butty mccarthy midelton cbs carrigtwohill

Forwards
    Cormack rockies
    Shane kingston Douglas
    Robbie flynn eirins own
    Dan gunning na piarssigh
    Michael halloran rockies
    John looney aghada

Hi TTM I assume you didnt mean to leave Tim O'Mahony out considering you are an obvious fan?

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Hi TTM I assume you didnt mean to leave Tim O'Mahony out considering you are an obvious fan?

I though I had him in id have him there

Now cormack or flynn loose out tough tough call

Robbie slightly edges for me as he offers something different supreme in the air and won't score as much as cormack possibly but offers unreal work ethic and a balance to the unit in two ball winners in air with creative elusive kingston

Blackrock have gone for Eddie Murphy for the new season....interesting .

Blackrock have gone for Eddie Murphy for the new season....interesting .

Great appointment. A very good coach. But a lot of good guys in Blackrock could have done this job.

just my opinion of course I read in the paper tonight regards sarsfields
    I'm not at all surprised at all all.
    I totally disagree with the article

I said and knew this would happen.
    Kilmallock win a county yet moral victory brigade use it as another stone to build their bridge

I hope Kilmallock don't win all ireland and are destroyed by kilkenny champions as then it may blow the myth out the window.
    Of course Kilmallock will beat poor ulster teams ger to final so watch it go in to overdrive.

It said that sarsfields could use Kilmallock as motivating for next year and the writer tried to back up he's article by saying other pundits were valid in their points no genuine challenge went against sarsfields in the provincial claim for success.

My opinion to the article solely and purely Is It's cherry picking when it suits.They bemoan the fact they had no challenge if so they fail naively to wonder and questions were sarsfields that good in a poor cork county championship when in fact sarsfields get lot scorer due to soft Frees given by poor referring in cork compared to other counties champions

It tries to create this false myth with no imo real basis That sarsfields are further along the munster glory road and says they have genuine chance not only county but provincial title next year

Same old old same old story.
    Moral victory land imo.

My reading is this year sarsfields got beaten in a game. Then still in it at yet they got a non existent glen rovers challenge, couldn't beat an average to good Kilmallock that luckily beat a tired worn out Cratloe in extra time.
    Now they did be fair say Cratloe were out feet at half time.

To say sarsfields can win a provincial title is imo just way off.
    Look at the facts.
    Full back they have huge issue, now. I'm sitting on the fence, I said this prior to the county final, Kilmallock game and indeed at half time, no shock that they conceded horrendous goals to Kilmallock.
    Media oblivious to this.

Centre back they gave issues in as fine club player ray Ryan way he's not at the next standard in munster.
    He did win credit due munster title with cork guards last night in the inter firm but only munster he will win he won't unfortunately win one with sarsfields
    Quigley is fine but roche is average and will be proven by cork

Tadhg og Murphy,not close to elite level
    Fraggie tries hard super player in he day for cork but not now
    Cian mccarthy hughely overrated appalling county final from play and v Kilmallock, I'm sorry lad's scoring frees is not a case for of great play for me.

And cussen, where do I start.
    Temperament game is at greatest point won't do it as proven by awful miss put them point up with time up he's a poor up against any top full back and appalling decision by cuthbhert to recall him in football
    To say sarsfields can live off Kilmallock win is just incorrect imo and if sarsfields even belief. A grain of solace in that  they won't win next year as clear as day this team won win munster yet living in dream land they are close to top in essence there way off munster and this year talk was their fit peaking for munster,fair enough if so why we're they flat as a pancake fitness wise in extra time.

They need no short term gain but radical cull of team and infuse new blood and then they can go to win munster again but if people fail to see four dismal munster showing show. In four attempts with no improvement there way off the standard then there going no where

See examples I gave mullinvat Declan wall.
    Kilkenny attuide shows the bull##it attuide moral victory means and credit Gavin o mahony saying it in Sunday paper regards limerick hurling.

Mullinavat went agm two prominent gaa men in club I'm told said we're not happywith training.
    It was published in kilkenny people even..
    They brought in wall and he won a Leinster and intermediate title and won 24 out of 27 games this year.
    They don't do moral victory loosing 21 FINAL they demand better.
    If they never accepted they had failed they would never had glorious triumph of the league championship and Leinster title this year.

Sarsfields need to accept forget moral victory, they lost no ifs and buts they Lost and examine why they lost and are not close to munster.

Double very good cork football team and overall panel is acceptable.
    I wouldn't have kiely and maguire starting in midfield coal face too inexperienced and naive so. I would have laoire proven at club and cork underage.
    Terrific panel, you don't have many players I disagree with credit due but gould I wouldn't have and hodnett is no where near this level from carbery
    Overall good astute pick.
    I'm impressed very impressed.
    It's a shame we don't have a competent proven manager however.

If Murphy is confirmed it's excellent choice double.

Blackrock were club I was referencing here bout looking for outside manager but didn't want to say til confirmed

Murphy isn't really outside in he's cork man but he's a good choices.
    There was few others in line one from outside county and made no choice if he got it but credit due great choice and I'm glad they got rid of browne as like I said all year poor poor seasons.
    Blackrock with minor and u21 and 16 now have manager to compliment the talent and mark my word's county title In two years as he's ruthless but proven manager
    I'm delighted as rockies winning a county could rattle a club in munster also.
    I agree Fergal ryan could been great choice but look it's great choice and hopefully Fergal or sherlock be with him and learn from him.
    Superb news for cork hurling altogether.
    Expect few blackrock lad's push cork seniors in two years

Awful news for sarsfields as they won't come near them.
    Midelton if pat hartnett got the job their imo would be serious next year
    Glen won't be too far away.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/11/26/sister-act-5/
    I posted the link here as we must not forget these girls simply must not forget them in their quest for all ireland success.

It's been busy week in cork gaa off field on it,and in harty and corn u mhuire and then managers appointment etc but we must not simply must not forget our ladies as they deserve our tremendous support also

Remember there representing cork and put in same if not more commitment as men, their not born with silver spoon in their hand either they fight for every thing they get
    People should at very least watch them on tg4

Mourneabbey had to fund raise for trip UK earlier year to make it UK.
    Best luck them
    I will record it on tg four
    Their a credit to their parish, their county.
    Mourneabbey in that great great I mean really really great football aera in both men and women game where there real real I mean real gaa people.

Any cork minors stand out today Denis please

Where is the Ag mhuire and the colmans game going ahead next week please

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

Where is Murphy a proven manager of a senior hurling team TTM?

He's trail success I could go on and on
    He coached ballymartle to all ireland intermediate title in 2011 beat dickborso kilkenny in final
    When he took over the parish were like newtonshandrum not just same colour and style play but same population but christ he got every inch out of them.
    There now a senior stable club but based hugely on he's foundation.
    They won u21,intermediate, leauge and championship with the club with limited resources.
    He's son wille long puck Murphy

Involved in kerry in set up beat Waterford in 93 with john myler former carlow wexford and Courcy rovers manager
    Coached bsllyheuige, ardfert, ballyduff and kerry seniors two spells

Won intermediate title coach bishopstown in 2006 beaten in a Munster final
    Wanted cork underage jobs overlooked many times.
    Done numerous coaching workshops and help guidance in and one of cork  most passionate and shrewd gaa man around
    He's a winner, doesn't do moral victories or excuses
    Blackrock destined for county in two years have no doubt.
    .    was with newestown also and many more clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

TTM.... That's harsh and unfair the way u criticize and insult Kilmallock Saying you hope they don't win AI and are hammered by KK champions. It might be worth being gracious at times and congratulating them on their achievement. You did say they would not beat Sars or Cratloe. They have abundance of spirit and drive which is lacking in a lot of cork teams. Well done to Kilmallock and I don't think you would like if u had someone on here slating newtownshandrum or Sars after winning a munster title.
    Eddie Murphy is a good and interesting appointment by Rockies. His teams always play good hurling and their touch, skill level will be top class. This trend of outside managers has a lot of clubs in the county/country on the verge of financial ruin. Clubs with no chance of winning anything are paying 80-120 euro per nite and they would be better off putting that money into some useful structure/infrastructure. The Barrs are a typical example of a club with a lot of home grown coaches but they are doing nothing for their own club. Like it or not but financial rewards are more important than working in ur own club.
    My home club got rid of outside managers 3 yrs ago and are doing as well as can be expected due to lack of huge talent at moment. The club bank balance is healthier than paying it to an outsider. They have carried out a lot of improvemnets this yr on field, grounds etc with money saved.

• Advertisement

Smith614 wrote: »
    TTM.... That's harsh and unfair the way u criticize and insult Kilmallock Saying you hope they don't win AI and are hammered by KK champions. It might be worth being gracious at times and congratulating them on their achievement. You did say they would not beat Sars or Cratloe. They have abundance of spirit and drive which is lacking in a lot of cork teams. Well done to Kilmallock and I don't think you would like if u had someone on here slating newtownshandrum or Sars after winning a munster title.
    Eddie Murphy is a good and interesting appointment by Rockies. His teams always play good hurling and their touch, skill level will be top class. This trend of outside managers has a lot of clubs in the county/country on the verge of financial ruin. Clubs with no chance of winning anything are paying 80-120 euro per nite and they would be better off putting that money into some useful structure/infrastructure. The Barrs are a typical example of a club with a lot of home grown coaches but they are doing nothing for their own club. Like it or not but financial rewards are more important than working in ur own club.
    My home club got rid of outside managers 3 yrs ago and are doing as well as can be expected due to lack of huge talent at moment. The club bank balance is healthier than paying it to an outsider. They have carried out a lot of improvemnets this yr on field, grounds etc with money saved.

Cop on smith with your view I'm too harsh
    I judge a win on its merits

Your the very one that said there is no excuse if pa Callaghan doesn't play hurling this year not realising it's entirely he's chooce soley If he wants to play or not he is a young lad don't forget

Don't preach to me about ethics or morality sunshine when you have not a clue what your talking about

Its quite reasonable for me and many to say it's better Kilmallock don't win as If so they do the fact cork some will live off moral victory land that could been us without looking at why they lost

Don't compare apples and oranges
    Kilmallock haven't come close to newtown yet when they do fair point

Look Kilmallock beat a tired team in extra time even Joe mcgrath said lad's are exhausted
    Now they will beat a poor ulster team in the semifinal
    If they beat or come close to ballyhale fair point but they won't
    When cork minors lost to Waterford I wanted Waterford not to win the all ireland simply as I said all we would hair was how cork lost point to all ireland champions and guess what pat kenneally got ringing endorsement by Bob Ryan on that and a
    The 21 job

I give credit where due
    If you had any clue what you were talking about and didn't just shoot from the hip you will realise I paid immense Credit to two Kilmallock lad's the two mulchays who played in inter firm final Tuesday night two days after the final Sunday
    Where due I give credit

Wasn't at game but heard BT it as pa Callaghan played centre back with few other ballyhea lad's
    Come off the high horse will yeah
    Sarsfields won't change this team if they realise their unlucky to Kilmallock
    Will this same sarsfields team do better next year no they won't
    That's the reason I don't want Kilmallock to won as if they did some cork would say sarsfields were so close to being all ireland champions which is rubbish
    Just go through their season
    They won a dismal county championship in cork and cork club scene won't change if people think cork clubs this year close to an all ireland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement