Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Iecrawfc

I agree. Being captain of LIT should really put him in view too. It would be strange if a captain of a strong Fitzgibbon team wasn't making his county team, or at least given strong opportunity.

I'd add that given dempsey's experience playing midfield for Na P and LIT he is well placed to fulfil the same role as hickey did this year following a player out the field if needs be. Not saying he is as good as Hickey but then only maybe Cahill from Tipp or Murphy from kk are as good as Hickey at the moment.
    Hopefully Dempsey gets a good chance in the league with O'mahony and O'Brien out for some of the league, tom Morrissey and tom Ryan I suppose the other two to be pushing for a place...time for Mark Carmody to push on aswell. Should be an interesting league for limerick, definitely need a few more options in order to push on from last year.
    Well done to Kilmallock too, themselves and Na Piarsigh have established themselves as the preeminent clubs in limerick, hopefully Doon can join them in the next few years too and get a real competitive club championship going.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

think hickey has to move out who fills the corner back role is the big question I think.
    SH's best position is corner back, he should be left there its a vital position to be strong in and his speed is a big asset to the whole line,t if the constraint of the corner is lifted off him he struggles positionally and can't influence games as he does from the corner.
    Stephen Walsh is a viable option for the other corner, he's a championship player.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

LMK wrote: »
    SH's best position is corner back, he should be left there its a vital position to be strong in and his speed is a big asset to the whole line,t if the constraint of the corner is lifted off him he struggles positionally and can't influence games as he does from the corner.
    Stephen Walsh is a viable option for the other corner, he's a championship player.

I agree on Walsh, though he is not going to have the same influence on a game that hickey can.

I disagree on hickey. He is simply an exceptional player and will excel at half back or midfield just as well. He was even exceptional when pushed to wing forward though a lot of people seemed to overlook the impact he had for the team. He's had a career that's often been interrupted by injuries, strikes, and winter abroad which have meant he's missed a few seasons and had seasons where he's missed the league a few times. I think if he hadn't missed leagues he'd have been trialled at 6 a few times and would have spent a good bit of time there by now. Plenty have said in the past that he doesn't have the discipline for corner back any more and could be a liability there because of his propensity to attack the ball. He made rubbish of those claims this year and I think he would do similar to your suggestion of needing the constraint of the corner. I'd try him at 6 for the league, we know what he can do in the corner anyway of he needs to shift back.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

I'd try him at 6 for the league, we know what he can do in the corner anyway of he needs to shift back.
    Fair point... but I believe that if we are strong in a position then why not continue to specialize and improve in that position, SH is one of the best around at LCB, likewise RMC, PB & JR IMO these 4 are the cornerstones.
    We need to strengthen in the half back line, or at least have options available but I'd prefer say for Walsh to be given a run at CB with Wayne move to left half for a few league games. Its up front that I'd like to see a bit more fluidity in positional interchangeability I felt that this year DOG, KD and DB were too much alike in terms of pace, speed off the mark when playing in the Half forward line together and apart from KD its difficult to play them inside, I think we can afford to only play 1 of them in the HF line for any length of time, don't get me wrong all are valuable but for me too alike as forwards, actually Downes might make a good back!!

LMK wrote: »
    Fair point... but I believe that if we are strong in a position then why not continue to specialize and improve in that position, SH is one of the best around at LCB, likewise RMC, PB & JR IMO these 4 are the cornerstones.
    We need to strengthen in the half back line, or at least have options available but I'd prefer say for Walsh to be given a run at CB with Wayne move to left half for a few league games. Its up front that I'd like to see a bit more fluidity in positional interchangeability I felt that this year DOG, KD and DB were too much alike in terms of pace, speed off the mark when playing in the Half forward line together and apart from KD its difficult to play them inside, I think we can afford to only play 1 of them in the HF line for any length of time, don't get me wrong all are valuable but for me too alike as forwards, actually Downes might make a good back!!

Walsh at 6? Stephen? Can't see that. I'd like Wayne back at 5. Again we know what he can do at 6 if we need to move him back there for championship. Hickey and Morrissey should be tried at 6.

Downes is far faster and more agile than the other two. The three you've mentioned plus Hannon are all strong ball winners and can score. Can't remember the last time we ever had that, pretty happy with those four making up the half forward line. Downes is an out and out forward, madness to suggest him as a back.

Our mids were a strong point this year but the games they dominated were against a weakened tipp midfield and a wexford that were completely overrun. 50/50 at best of they werent shaded by their opposites v cork and kk. Last year's starters probably won't be replaced but we could do with some impact subs (Tom Ryan, POB, maybe even Cian Lynch).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

No problem with the two mids starting again but we absolutely need to replace jimbob on 50mins. Apparently brown was very poor for bruff. TJ needs to give him a month off to recharge.

No problem with the two mids starting again but we absolutely need to replace jimbob on 50mins. Apparently brown was very poor for bruff. TJ needs to give him a month off to recharge.

Agree. The two guys work themselves into the ground. Despite lacking a bit of strength in depth last season I reckon we should have the strength in the panel to replace both mids, and others, at 50/60 mins with players that can make a genuine impact.

Agree. The two guys work themselves into the ground. Despite lacking a bit of strength in depth last season I reckon we should have the strength in the panel to replace both mids, and others, at 50/60 mins with players that can make a genuine impact.

Agreed, get our best 15 in the right positions and an impact bench (even if they are young fellas look what hanley and POL have done for kilmallock the last few weeks) and its our turn to take our chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

I wouldn't move Hickey out of the corner. The altitude-limiter that is playing in the full-back line does him the world of good. Aside from that he was the best corner-back in the championship this year, why move him? The real ballsy move would be switching Nickie out of goals to centre-back for the league. That would open up all sorts of permutations for the half-back line.

I doubt very much if there'll be a sudden influx of Kilmallock hurlers onto the panel, the unavailability of GOM and POB in the AI Club during the spring could be very much a blessing in disguise - forces us to experiment in an area that has been very static over the last few years.

We can leave hickey inside if we can find a half back line that can lord it over the opposition.

Roll on the league and the Waterford crystal or whatever mickey mouse cup is in january

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

We can leave hickey inside if we can find a half back line that can lord it over the opposition.

Roll on the league and the Waterford crystal or whatever mickey mouse cup is in january

Draw is tommorrow night paddy night

I heard two mulchays Jake and ghrame played inter firm for response last night
    I wasn't at it but I heard Jake played well

In fairness all credit due two boys playing two days after senior

Quaid played out field I'm told
    I don't think Paul browne or Wayne mac played
    Cork guards won it
    Michael kavanagh kilkenny won all ireland response in summer but didn't play last night either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Why?

Why?

Curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Curiosity

Looks like limerick will be playing waterford in the waterford crystal cup, would be good to get a bit of a run this year, fell flat las year vs Clare, Richie English, Daragh o' Donovan, John fitzgibbon, David Reidy played in limericks game last year, would like to see some of them tried again, didn't see Reidy last year in the league but seemed to be going reasonably well until injured? Some of the Na Piarsigh fringe panelists will be free to play this year(fitzgibbon cup permitting).

Iecrawfc wrote: »
    Looks like limerick will be playing waterford in the waterford crystal cup, would be good to get a bit of a run this year, fell flat las year vs Clare, Richie English, Daragh o' Donovan, John fitzgibbon, David Reidy played in limericks game last year, would like to see some of them tried again, didn't see Reidy last year in the league but seemed to be going reasonably well until injured? Some of the Na Piarsigh fringe panelists will be free to play this year(fitzgibbon cup permitting).

Reidy had some good moments during the league alright. Probably wouldn't have made the starting team but def looking forward to seeing how he gets on this year. Could be in line for game time in the championship. Thing is you'd expect both Lynch's to be starting in that half forward/midfield area by 2016(if not even this year coming) going to be quite crowded for starting places in that area given the current age profile of players on the team/panel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Draw is tommorrow night paddy night

I heard two mulchays Jake and ghrame played inter firm for response last night
    I wasn't at it but I heard Jake played well

In fairness all credit due two boys playing two days after senior

Quaid played out field I'm told
    I don't think Paul browne or Wayne mac played
    Cork guards won it
    Michael kavanagh kilkenny won all ireland response in summer but didn't play last night either

They all work for Response? How thebinter firm work

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

sasta le wrote: »
    They all work for Response? How thebinter firm work
    Ah inter firm is a joke of a competition. It seems us can have 5-6 outsiders on team. Graeme works for them but Quaid, Browne, McNamara don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Smith614 wrote: »
    Ah inter firm is a joke of a competition. It seems us can have 5-6 outsiders on team. Graeme works for them but Quaid, Browne, McNamara don't.

Look, its a game of hurling and the players enjoy playing it. Fair play to any intercounty players that chose to play considering they've been training since last February. Some of the most entertaining games I've seen over the years have been interfirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

washman3 wrote: »
    Look, its a game of hurling and the players enjoy playing it. Fair play to any intercounty players that chose to play considering they've been training since last February. Some of the most entertaining games I've seen over the years have been interfirm.

You obviously don't get out very often.

Na P minors beat Kilmallock 1-23 to 6 this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Is there an option to buy a season ticket for all club games in the county? County board website only seems to point towards the season ticket for the county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Na P minors beat Kilmallock 1-23 to 6 this afternoon.

Jesus... didn't think they'd win by that much.

Just remembered we're playing Clare in the 1st round of the Munster HC. Can't wait for that.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Just remembered we're playing Clare in the 1st round of the Munster HC. Can't wait for that.

Thurles..??
    Its a home draw for Clare but cant see them having Ennis ready in time.
    Just imagine trying to beat them up there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

Thurles..??

Will be Thurles....30,000 minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Is there an option to buy a season ticket for all club games in the county? County board website only seems to point towards the season ticket for the county team.

I know you can get them again for 2015 and they cost €100 but not sure how you get one, I presume if you contact your club secretary or the Gaelic Grounds they could sort you out. If they publicised this more they would sell a load of them, it would be a great Christmas present.

Thurles..??

Surely be in Thurles... although I'd love them to beat them in Ennis.

It's going to be tough either way but I have faith in our lads.

Thurles..??

We'll beat them wherever.

We'll beat them wherever.

Easy now... look where that got us the last time.....:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

It can't be a home draw for Clare? There is no home/away agreement between the two counties, neutral unless the counties agree to toss a coin for venue.

Last time it went to a toss was for the 1993 championship, the county board defied the wishes of the management team (Phil Bennis) who wished to play in a neutral venue as Limerick had/have a poor record in Ennis. However the county board ignored Bennis as they wanted a big pay day by bringing it to the Gaelic Grounds, they had to go back and sheepishly inform an angry Bennis that the game was going to be played in Ennis and not Thurles. Sure enough, we were beaten.

However we consequently gained home advantage the next time we met in 1996 (note; we met in the '94 Munster final but the agreement excluded Munster finals as Clare did not have a home venue suitable to host a Munster final), and what a great day that was. From a financial perspective this worked out very well for the county board as there is no way a meeting of Limerick and Clare would have brought in anywhere near the capacity 46000 crowd in 1993 like it did that day in Ennis for a match that many of us will never forget.

Without a home/away agreement, the coin toss lasts for just two games; both counties get a home game, the toss determining who gets to go first. After the two games, back to neutral venues unless both counties agree to toss again for venue, and so on.

So unless I'm mistaken (but I'm pretty sure I'm not) we're heading to Thurles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement