Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Far from it. Can be useful but if a fella can pick off scores in a forward line I'd take him any day. What about a fella that has a great hand and great striker of a ball off both sides. Dismiss him because its all about pace? Ive seen plenty of lads with pace but cant field a ball and striking piss poor when they get in great positions.

Name a slow inter-county hurler that plays for a major hurling county.

Cian McCarthy is head and shoulders the best half-forward in club hurling in Cork. Why doesn't he start or even make the Cork panel? Zero pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Just wondering how Archie Knox is feeling this morning? 16k to win a western title!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

cornerboy wrote: »
    Senior county hurling is all about pace.........

Its attatutes like that here in Waterford is holding us back. Some seem to think that you have to be a fast player to get on the teams and be successful. Its no good having a team where everyone does the same thing the same way. You have to have players involved who offer different things. Seamus Prendergast or Stephen Molumphy never put up what you would call big scores in games for Waterford ( i know they got there 2 or 3 points) yet they won many games for Waterford doing what others were not doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Orizio wrote: »
    Name a slow inter-county hurler that plays for a major hurling county.

Cian McCarthy is head and shoulders the best half-forward in club hurling in Cork. Why doesn't he start or even make the Cork panel? Zero pace.

Noel McGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Noel McGrath

Good example of a lad who by and large doesn't pull his weight in the big games because he is too slow to work hard. For all his natural talent had only one really good game last year. In general was a lot more impressive when he first came on the scene compared to now.

Luckily for him, like Horgan and Canning, he is undroppable regardless of his form.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Good example of a lad who by and large doesn't pull his weight in the big games because he is too slow to work hard. For all his natural talent had only one really good game last year. In general was a lot more impressive when he first came on the scene compared to now.

Luckily for him, like Horgan and Canning, he is undroppable regardless of his form.

Would agree but I think his biggest obstacle is strength and commitment to winning dirty ball. He just doesn't have that, needs space or hes at nothing. Mind you, Paudie Walsh ate him for 20 minutes in the drawn game and after that I though he was Tipps best forward (though not saying a lot).

Pace is definitely important but I wouldn't necessarily write off a player if hes a bit slower. I think he's worth trying given the lack of forwards we have at the minute, certainly don't see the harm in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 OldBoro

cul beag wrote: »
    Just wondering how Archie Knox is feeling this morning? 16k to win a western title!!!

Seriously get you facts right before you go making stupid statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

OldBoro wrote: »

Dungarvan will only get stronger in coming years, expect them to win a county soon, especially with the players they are recruiting

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

OldBoro wrote: »

Sorry was I wrong? Is it closer to 20k is that what you're trying to tell me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I had not realized Cappaquin were such outsiders to win on Saturday. Congrats and thanks for bringing a trophy back to the Deise. I wonder did the Cornerstone lads put money on em last week at 18-1 to win the All Ireland. They are now 7-2 as Munster champions would be favorites to beat O Donovan Rossa in the semi. The history between Antrim and Waterford Club sides would suggest its hardly a foregone conclusion (besides the Northeners have a decent U16 team #only messing but not really).

Cappaquins involvement in the Club Championship precludes their better players from being involved in the winter challenge games and Waterford Crystal Cup. So the opportunity for a Murray and O Rourke and others to wear a county jersey anytime soon is unlikely. Fintan O Connor would have a good idea whose capable anyway. Also I was not aware previously of Fintan O Connor's involvement in the WIT Fitzgibbon win last Feb so fair play to him.

One other thing, did anyone else shout for Kilmallock yesterday in the hope that 3 of Limerick's best players would not be available for the league game in February

• Advertisement

3ships wrote: »
    I had not realized Cappaquin were such outsiders to win on Saturday. Congrats and thanks for bringing a trophy back to the Deise. I wonder did the Cornerstone lads put money on em last week at 18-1 to win the All Ireland. They are now 7-2 as Munster champions would be favorites to beat O Donovan Rossa in the semi. The history between Antrim and Waterford Club sides would suggest its hardly a foregone conclusion (besides the Northeners have a decent U16 team #only messing but not really).

Cappaquins involvement in the Club Championship precludes their better players from being involved in the winter challenge games and Waterford Crystal Cup. So the opportunity for a Murray and O Rourke and others to wear a county jersey anytime soon is unlikely. Fintan O Connor would have a good idea whose capable anyway. Also I was not aware previously of Fintan O Connor's involvement in the WIT Fitzgibbon win last Feb so fair play to him.

One other thing, did anyone else shout for Kilmallock yesterday in the hope that 3 of Limerick's best players would not be available for the league game in February

Didn't even think of it. Also forgot O'Connor was involved with Bonnar in WIT this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Didn't think of that either, we'll take it. Will still be a tough place to go and get a result but if we're to get back to Div 1, we'd need to get results in Limerick and Wexford.

On that note, it'll be interesting to see if the extended lay off for many of our players will be beneficial for next season. By the time the lads go back into preseason and Crystal cup, nearly all of them will have gone a few months without much if any game time. Even at that it will only have been club and maybe a few college games. Hopefully the break will allow them to come back fresh for 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gavin O'Mahony is suspended for his club, can he tog out for the county? I think there used to be a way of playing club if you were serving an intercounty suspension - maybe they've done away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 eastwestlad

All clubs were sent a text on 19th September inviting all players whjo will be minor next year to training. I asked our club secretary as my youngest brother is that age and he showed me the text, it came from John Quinn below in the city.

For the record, Tim Lenahan is very popular with the players I hear and I know Oran Curran from last year also involved. They played 4 matches in an U17 tournament recently in Munster and all players who wanted to be there were looked at.

And before you go there, I'm not Tim or Oran and I don't even know Tim to see to be honest, but the young lads coming back with good reports. A lot of the lads you refer to above played and were looked at during the U17 tournament. I don't doubt your passion, but its important to get the facts right. If players didn't get word of training then they might want to ask their clubs why not.

I am aware of this as Balinacourty club sec was sent this but it wasn't an open training session as only Conor Prunty/John Elsted/David Looby and Ronan Mansfield were allowed go to the training because the first 3 were county minor last year and Mansfield was u16. Not any minor was allowed attend. As Luke O Connor who was on holidays at the time of u17 training wasn't able to go. There are certain players on that panel who don't deserve to be there in fairness. They reason they are on it and everyone knows it's with a lot of players, they peaked early around u13 and other players take time. But if your telling me that Carthach Barry who started in the western/county final and Munster semi final for Brickey rangers at corner back, and was one of the best on the day doesn't deserve to start for county why does someone who came through u16 and u17 do but yet they have never once even made the bench of there intermediate/senior team. I get the idea of given them a shot but when it comes to show I'll go with the lads who have experience playing intermediate/senior football compared to the lads who played u16/17 county because playing intermediate/senior club football is around county minor standard.

From what I heard about four Brickey boys, I heard in the local a few weeks ago off someone who has played with these lads and it is, Carthach Barry last year choose county hurling, Maurice Daly never went to any trial however he was dragged up to the u16 tournament cause they realised his ability however Maurice plays East Munster rugby, Cathal Curran choose u16 hurling and Paul Whelan had the bone come out of his knee at 14 and missed 1 and half years but returned last year. All of these boys have said to the man I talked too that they would play and train if invited but weren't invited because they didn't play u16. Yet next year Barry will be centre back, Curran Wing back, and Daly and Whelan Midfield. In division 1 football in Waterford and two midfielders and and a centre back of a div 1 side are left out of the panel simply down to not playing u16/17 county. But yet Barry and Whelan who played intermediate this year are left out and have experience against big players compared to people who have only ever minor football. Not many are Barry's speed Daly's strength or Whelan's height/catch/kicking (about 6ft 3/4)

Is the purpose of there being a county having the best 15 on the field? Well already I say only about 10 of the 15 in minor are on the panel. There are other players neglected, Sean Crotty of Dungarvan who is again a midfielder in div 1 football who is 6ft 1 neglected. Even my own Club man Cormac Dwyer, abit lazy, but an incredibly skill full player, he may not start. But when the courty football centre back ain't in the panel there is something wrong. People need to tell the likes of Tim Lenihan and his backroom staff of these players. A Munster title isn't far from reach, it will take a lot of work, and money needs to be put into physically building some if these players. But it is possible, Waterford will never have a better chance at a Munster Title.

It will be another unfortunate year if already 5 of 15 aren't even been looked at that should be starting. There a few on the panel from ye east from what I heard however none are near the standard really, if you look at the teams in div 1 really only two are from the east. I am pretty sure this is div 1 football next year:
    1) Balinacourty
    2) Brickey Rangers
    3) DLS
    4) Dungarvan
    5) The Nire
    6) Stradbally
    7) Gaultier
    8) Spot playoff

I heard seeing as Clashmore (although they win div 2 last year) lost a lot of players there will be a playoff between the top four teams of div 2 last year, Rathgormack, St. Oliver's, Cois Bride, Clashmore. As you can see little eastern teams in div 1 despite there big pool of players and that's all down too them not bothered with football. And smaller western teams with small pools of players they go farther.

Soz again for the very long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There a few on the panel from ye east from what I heard however none are near the standard really, if you look at the teams in div 1 really only two are from the east. I am pretty sure this is div 1 football next year:
    1) Balinacourty
    2) Brickey Rangers
    3) DLS
    4) Dungarvan
    5) The Nire
    6) Stradbally
    7) Gaultier
    8) Spot playoff

I heard seeing as Clashmore (although they win div 2 last year) lost a lot of players there will be a playoff between the top four teams of div 2 last year, Rathgormack, St. Oliver's, Cois Bride, Clashmore. As you can see little eastern teams in div 1 despite there big pool of players and that's all down too them not bothered with football. And smaller western teams with small pools of players they go farther.

Just in relation to the east, yeah some of it will definitely come down to dedication. However, from experience I know that having an eastern based selector (ideally from one of the better clubs at that age group) is a very good idea. Not only will they help ensure that the best players down that neck of the woods are identified, something as small as having a selector organise transport can go a long way.

We've seen on the senior panel that as soon as they appoint someone from the east on the selection team suddenly you have representation from that end of the county.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Gavin O'Mahony is suspended for his club, can he tog out for the county? I think there used to be a way of playing club if you were serving an intercounty suspension - maybe they've done away with that.

Not sure about that but the Portaferry game is on Feb 7th so if they lose the Kilmallock lads will be back for the League if they, as expected, win they won't be back till after Paddy's Day

I am aware of this as Balinacourty club sec was sent this but it wasn't an open training session as only Conor Prunty/John Elsted/David Looby and Ronan Mansfield were allowed go to the training because the first 3 were county minor last year and Mansfield was u16. Not any minor was allowed attend. As Luke O Connor who was on holidays at the time of u17 training wasn't able to go. There are certain players on that panel who don't deserve to be there in fairness. They reason they are on it and everyone knows it's with a lot of players, they peaked early around u13 and other players take time. But if your telling me that Carthach Barry who started in the western/county final and Munster semi final for Brickey rangers at corner back, and was one of the best on the day doesn't deserve to start for county why does someone who came through u16 and u17 do but yet they have never once even made the bench of there intermediate/senior team. I get the idea of given them a shot but when it comes to show I'll go with the lads who have experience playing intermediate/senior football compared to the lads who played u16/17 county because playing intermediate/senior club football is around county minor standard.

From what I heard about four Brickey boys, I heard in the local a few weeks ago off someone who has played with these lads and it is, Carthach Barry last year choose county hurling, Maurice Daly never went to any trial however he was dragged up to the u16 tournament cause they realised his ability however Maurice plays East Munster rugby, Cathal Curran choose u16 hurling and Paul Whelan had the bone come out of his knee at 14 and missed 1 and half years but returned last year. All of these boys have said to the man I talked too that they would play and train if invited but weren't invited because they didn't play u16. Yet next year Barry will be centre back, Curran Wing back, and Daly and Whelan Midfield. In division 1 football in Waterford and two midfielders and and a centre back of a div 1 side are left out of the panel simply down to not playing u16/17 county. But yet Barry and Whelan who played intermediate this year are left out and have experience against big players compared to people who have only ever minor football. Not many are Barry's speed Daly's strength or Whelan's height/catch/kicking (about 6ft 3/4)

Is the purpose of there being a county having the best 15 on the field? Well already I say only about 10 of the 15 in minor are on the panel. There are other players neglected, Sean Crotty of Dungarvan who is again a midfielder in div 1 football who is 6ft 1 neglected. Even my own Club man Cormac Dwyer, abit lazy, but an incredibly skill full player, he may not start. But when the courty football centre back ain't in the panel there is something wrong. People need to tell the likes of Tim Lenihan and his backroom staff of these players. A Munster title isn't far from reach, it will take a lot of work, and money needs to be put into physically building some if these players. But it is possible, Waterford will never have a better chance at a Munster Title.

It will be another unfortunate year if already 5 of 15 aren't even been looked at that should be starting. There a few on the panel from ye east from what I heard however none are near the standard really, if you look at the teams in div 1 really only two are from the east. I am pretty sure this is div 1 football next year:
    1) Balinacourty
    2) Brickey Rangers
    3) DLS
    4) Dungarvan
    5) The Nire
    6) Stradbally
    7) Gaultier
    8) Spot playoff

Are you getting money for each Brickey player on the minor panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

1) Balinacourty
    2) Brickey Rangers
    3) DLS
    4) Dungarvan
    5) The Nire
    6) Stradbally
    7) Gaultier
    8) Spot playoff

If that is Sean Crotty the former Abbeyside lad who joined Dungarvan this year, he's still U16 next season and I'm almost certain there's a new rule stating county minors must be U17 or else upto the age to be eligible to play i remember being told this recently. Someone else may confirm this..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Can anyone help me here? Do the county board sell season tickets for entry to all club games in waterford and are the national league games included aswell? Christmas present for the old man sorted if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

This players must come from clubs playing Division one is a joke.

I remember going to a meeting 11 or 12 years ago, and a then selector with a intercounty panel stood up and said that there would only be division one players in the panel. However he and the other selectors on that team quickly learned that they could not get 26 players (the county board were fairly stricked on it at the time, in football anyway), he and the other selectors not only had to go looking at players that played in division two competitions for a year or two previous with their club to get the best players available, they also had division three players and maybe even had one or two division four players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

You really need to get your facts right.

This was the text sent out to club secretaries on Sept 19th 2014 at around 4pm by John Quinn:

"Under 17 football development squad training will take place this Sunday at 11am in the Gold Coast. All are welcome to attend."

Note the last sentence and the word "All". The tournament played after that was a 2014 U17 tournament (for players eligible for minor in 2015) and Carthach Barry did play in the 1st game in Mollerans v Limerick, at centre back, I am pretty sure. Maurice Daly also played at least one game. You're talking about him being dragged to a game by the management, who recognised his talents and then you complain that the same player wasn't looked at. Did you bother going to any of the matches even?

The games were played on the 6th, 13th, 20th and 27th October in Mollerans, Thurles and the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick (final).

Like I said before, all players were invited (see the text above). If club secretaries chose to invite only the chosen few, then players need to take it up with their own club committees.

You would do well to remember that these players are still kids in school (some still 16) and while I understand they will be publicly discussed after any of them pull on the county jersey in 2015, it is important to be careful in how you talk about them. I did not even re-quote one disgraceful remark you made about someone from your own club. If you have nothing good to say about youngfellas that age, then better say nothing. Not on the internet anyway. You don't know who reads on here and a young lad could be devastated to read that about himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

By the way EastWestLad, I think you are right that we have the football talent in the county. We saw it with last year's minors. We are seeing it now with The Nire in a Munster Final.

All clubs have to play their part by passing on the message to the young players re football dev. squad training and/or trials and encouraging them. The minor selectors for 2015 are all volunteers for a job that is very time consuming and I have no doubt they will do their best. There are always football mentors being sought for co. teams.

Next year's U14s probably still have an opening for someone. In 4 years, they will be the minor team. Few are willing to actually put in the work and prefer to snipe from the sidelines if they don't agree with the team/panel selection. I know that the upper echelons in the county only pay lip-service to football, but you'd be better off getting pro-active about it and getting involved with a team. That's the only way to fight it.

By the way EastWestLad, I think you are right that we have the football talent in the county. We saw it with last year's minors. We are seeing it now with The Nire in a Munster Final.

All clubs have to play their part by passing on the message to the young players re football dev. squad training and/or trials and encouraging them. The minor selectors for 2015 are all volunteers for a job that is very time consuming and I have no doubt they will do their best. There are always football mentors being sought for co. teams.

Next year's U14s probably still have an opening for someone. In 4 years, they will be the minor team. Few are willing to actually put in the work and prefer to snipe from the sidelines if they don't agree with the team/panel selection. I know that the upper echelons in the county only pay lip-service to football, but you'd be better off getting pro-active about it and getting involved with a team. That's the only way to fight it.

Agree about the talent, I think eastwestlad is just a bit over his head, seeming to have a personal agenda with the unaccurate posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Can anyone help me here? Do the county board sell season tickets for entry to all club games in waterford and are the national league games included aswell? Christmas present for the old man sorted if they do.
    I thought the national league games were included when I bought it for my father last year also! Just Waterford club games :(

December Series
    €10 For All Three Games.

WATERFORD v WEXFORD
    Sunday December 7th @ 2pm in Walsh Park
    WATERFORD v DUBLIN
    Friday December 12th @ 8pm in Carriganore
    WATERFORD v CLARE
    Wednesday December 17th @ 7:30pm in Fraher Field, Dungarvan

One Individual Game: Pay €5 on gate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭seananigans

December Series
    €10 For All Three Games.

WATERFORD v WEXFORD
    WATERFORD v DUBLIN
    WATERFORD v CLARE

will this break even or will it help fund the coffer? its a great idea to get some games in earlier and get us gee'd up must only be 6 weeks till the crystal starts

will this break even or will it help fund the coffer? its a great idea to get some games in earlier and get us gee'd up must only be 6 weeks till the crystal starts

They are officially back start Dec and playing these games anyway.Normally in the middle of nowhere with no one there but they managed to put together 3 decent fixtures in ten days, I think its worth a tenner.

The Crystal Cup starts with LIT on Jan 10/11
    Followed by Limerick, if they win, a week later. That'll be a phoney war if it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

December Series
    €10 For All Three Games.

WATERFORD v WEXFORD
    WATERFORD v DUBLIN
    WATERFORD v CLARE

A good idea. Fair dues. Looking forward to seeing at least one of these games and hopefully a new gameplan.

The Nire v Stacks is live on TG4 by the way.

Sounds like there is only one candidate for the Chairmanship. He'll keep McGrath honest I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

do tell? who is letting their name go forward? or will it be musical chairs by tom the tit??

come here some fair rubbish posts on here re minor football. if this county is to go anywhere in underage football or football in general eastern selectors and subsequently eastern players are a must. invariably dls, gaultier even tramore along with rathg and a few other clubs provide exceptional players.

dls gaultier and rathg are seasoned senior sides at this stage and all fairly young sides surely a number of minor players playing senior standard in the clubs are good enough by comparison to lads from smaller clubs playing at a lesser standard. Often in the east most lads dont bother playing for parish pump development squads in football due to soccer and hurling and even rugby commitments but are more often then infinitely better then their western counterparts. It may not be obvious but again an eastern selector would certainly help identify 4-5 players that would certainly improve the lot of the counties footballing fortunes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement