Jon Snow's mother - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-03-2012, 13:14   #31
Sleepy
Sleep Comes Tomorrow

Doesn't mean he can't be a dragon rider though

ADWD Spolier: Spoiler: And since the next book will see Jon return from the dead (possibly as Azor Ahei?) his new body may not burn ;)
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 13:53   #32
stevenmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by calex71 View Post
Wasn't he already married to Catelyn though at that point Wasn't was newly married and away fighting during that time?

I might be remembering the time line wrong there though.
No, Brandon was killed first at the beginning of the war (and was I think part of the trigger for it), then Ned married Catelyn before going off to fight in it.
Thanks from:
02-03-2012, 09:52   #33
Sleepy
Sleep Comes Tomorrow

The mad king roasted Brandon Stark and his father Rickard when they rode south to confront Rhaegar Targaryen over his kidnap (elopement?) of/with Lyanna Stark. Ned's response to this was to call his banners along with his foster father John Arynn and foster-brother Robert Baratheon (to whom Lyanna was bethrothed). Ned and Catlyn married at the start of the war, with him riding off to war just after impregnating her with Robb.

All we've ever heard of Jon's age is that he was "of an age with Robb", we're not actually sure if he's older or younger, presumably there's only a few months in it either way. GRRM is apparently utterly meticulous about his timelines (hence the Meereen know and delay of ADWD so whoever Jon's mother is will have to coincide with the timeline already established. This rules out quite a few of the theorised options (including, I think, Ashara Dayne).
Thanks from:
06-03-2012, 21:45   #34
Littlefinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Chasm View Post
I'd never considered lyanna as a candidate as snows mother, there was a bit when arya rode with the banner less men and one of them said he was snows milk brother
I would have assumed that it would have been the bannerless man's mother who was a wet nurse for Jon which would fit in with the theory that his mother died giving birth?
04-05-2012, 17:25   #35
WildCardDoW

Quote:
Jon can't be the third dragon tho, dragons cannot be burned, jon has had his sword hand burnt fighting a wight
Can't find the quote now but GRRM squashed that notion, the reason Dany doesn't get burned when she walks into the fire is due to the large amount of magic involved, not because she is a "dragon" and "dragon's don't burn."

Or basically, with Dany, it's a one off, she can be burned, and doesn't she suffer a burn in ADWD?
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 18:12   #36
Tzar Chasm

I'll have a look later but i don't think she got burned,

Something I was thinking about, could bran or varymyr warg with a dragon
04-05-2012, 22:06   #37
Johnny Bitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardDoW View Post
Can't find the quote now but GRRM squashed that notion, the reason Dany doesn't get burned when she walks into the fire is due to the large amount of magic involved, not because she is a "dragon" and "dragon's don't burn."

Or basically, with Dany, it's a one off, she can be burned, and doesn't she suffer a burn in ADWD?
She doesn't get burned by the scalding water in the bath, or the dragons egg when she picks one up from the fire!

As for Jon's mother I would assumes its Spoiler: Lyanna but with GRRM whose to know, the mans a ****er for drawing us in.
05-05-2012, 18:35   #38
Tzar Chasm

She didn't get burned in the fighting pits either
05-05-2012, 18:51   #39
titan18

There are a bunch of Targaryens who died from burning though. Viserys and the molten gold, and in lore, there's the Tragedy of Summerhall and Aerion Targaryen who drank wildfire.
Advertisement
05-05-2012, 19:02   #40
Tzar Chasm

As such we can deduce that viserys was no True Dragon.

He didn't bleed tho
05-05-2012, 19:22   #41
titan18

Quote:
As such we can deduce that viserys was no True Dragon.

He didn't bleed tho
What about Summerhall, Aerion Brightflame, the Dance of the Dragons War, and then the fact that Dany had her hand blistered by Drogon in ADWD when he breathed on her.

Even beside that, we have this http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/945/

with
Quote:
Lastly, some fans are reading too much into the scene in GAME OF THRONES where the dragons are born -- which is to say, it was never the case that all Targaryens are immune to all fire at all times.
06-05-2012, 23:19   #42
WildCardDoW

Yup that's the link I was talking about, cheers titan!

I've read the books and was aware of all the other events but I knew there was a burn. My own opinion is that's it's a bit of backtracking from George by adding in that burn to keep rabid fans quiet when certain R and L connections emerge! ;-)
08-05-2012, 22:25   #43
Savage Tyrant

I can't help thinking that if Ned wasn't Jon's true father, that he should have confided that information to Catelyn. I really resented her for her treatment and manner towards Jon. Even if he was Ned's bastàrd, it wasn't Jon's fault. I really didn't bond with the Catelyn character from the chapter Jon said goodbye to Bran.
(3) thanks from:
08-05-2012, 23:35   #44
Ambient Occlusion

For all the rounds Cersei's been doing it may well be her.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion