Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metalman - Yes they can!

Options
  • 03-09-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

...their beer that is.

Just seen this on their blog.

They have a canning line on order and should have it delivered by October, so possibly a Christmas release, or more realistically a release in the new year.

Great news. Can't wait! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If the production scheduling gods are smiling on us, it should leave Canada later this month and arrive at Metalman sometime in October.

Why Canada?

Be good to see it available generally anyway!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Why Canada?
    Clue's in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Hopefully more breweries follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BaZmO* wrote: »

Great news. Can't wait! :)

I think you should leave now.

Pick a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I think you should leave now.

Pick a window.

Can I help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hopefully more breweries follow.

I guess it will be double unique seeing as Metalman don't do bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Wonder will they have capacity for others or just themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Will it be a Metalcan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Will it be a Metalcan?

Are you a Metalfan?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Are you a Metalfan?

I can be!

On topic, this is great news. I would love some canned Windjammer. It would be great if they were sold as multipacks at a reasonable price per unit, as this is something none of the Irish craft breweries are doing, as far as I know, apart from 8 Degrees with its six-packs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I agree with Ruben Remus. A reasonably price six-pack or even four-pack would be great. Now we can argue over the virtues of 330ml cans versus 500ml ones and over pricing as we always do.

Hopefully this will be remembered by generations to come as a symbolic act against the bizarre anti-can bias in Ireland. Presumably this exists because most canned beers here are of low quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Generally I don't like beer in a can, much prefer it in bottle or on draft so for that reason I've tended to shy away from it. In my Heineken drinking days (shudders) bottles were always nicer than cans. As a result I've never gone for the likes of punk in a can, for those that have, is there much difference?
    Would be handy for places where drinking in public is frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I love some canned beers such as Modus Hoperandi and Centennial. Didn't like the idea at first, until I had a can of Torpedo and it changed my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Generally I don't like beer in a can, much prefer it in bottle or on draft so for that reason I've tended to shy away from it. In my Heineken drinking days (shudders) bottles were always nicer than cans. As a result I've never gone for the likes of punk in a can, for those that have, is there much difference?
    Would be handy for places where drinking in public is frowned upon.

Personally I think that there is a slight difference when drinking directly from a can or bottle but once poured into a glass the difference is not noticeable.

There are some fantastic beers available in cans nowadays, Old Chubb, Dales Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale & Torpedo, the Beavertown beers I've tried recently, Centennial, Modus Hoperandi, BrewDog Punk & Dead Pony Club and a few more I can't think of right now.

I was at Electric Picnic over the weekend and had some of the above beers (mainly SNPA & Brooklyn Lager, although the Brooklyn would be the weakest of the bunch) and it was great to have such a selection available.

I'm really looking forward to having Metalman available in cans, it'll be great to have an Irish beer that imo is equal to a lot of the ones mentioned above.

There's nothing weak about Brooklyn lager, a fantastic beer

drumswan wrote: »
    There's nothing weak about Brooklyn lager, a fantastic beer

I used to love it, but I've found it very hit and miss over the last couple of years, and over the weekend I didn't think that drinking it directly from the can did it any favours.

for those that have, is there much difference?
    They're light-proof, oxygen-proof, smash-proof, lightweight, stackable, quick-chilling and efficiently recyclable.

The question is why we still tolerate single-use bottles.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The question is why we still tolerate single-use bottles.

The "craft" resurgence doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Pls delete if this is posted elsewhere..

Looks like something interesting for Irish craft beer, will now be in cans: Independent.ie
    We felt that cans were a better choice in terms of the quality of the finished product.....
    Light can react with compounds in hops, which will give what's referred to as a "skunked" flavour in a beer, but a can will eliminate that entirely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Great news, cans of Metalman Pale Ale will go down very nicely. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Are they actually going to can their flagship, or something else?

Welcome addition anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Check them out on the Facebook, they bought a canning line from someone in Canada, it was installed in recent weeks and the cans should be hitting the stores early next year. I assume they can (lolol) fill them up with anything so hopefully we'll have a range of them on the shelves soon.

They've had "can prototype" beers on the market since September. I haven't seen any mention of the pale ale being canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Never hear that, but they are the best package to keep out oxygen, light and lower thermal mass to cool.

You got a source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

I've seen this recently with a good few craft beers.

The can isn't helping the price though. I ordered 2 cans of Brewdog Punk IPA recently in a bar and was charged about €11 - €12 ish for them!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

tempnam wrote: »
    I've seen this recently with a good few craft beers.

The can isn't helping the price though. I ordered 2 cans of Brewdog Punk IPA recently in a bar and was charged about €11 - €12 ish for them!

Brewdog is dear in their own bars in the UK let alone bars over here.

Their magazine/literature they leave in the bars encourages people to buy canned beer over bottled for the light reason mentioned above; it doesn't however stop them selling their own product in both as they know there's people who prefer bottles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I will continuously nark them until they do. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Mate of my brothers works for the metalman brewery - they are indeed trialling cans at the moment

Advertisement